Author Topic: No Blinky  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
No Blinky
« on: January 07, 2012, »
So I had to shut down my show a day early do to a problem that has me stumped. I have about 18 controllers out in my yard that all were working as intended last night. I woke up this morning to see that Red and Clear lights are all on on my arch which is a total of 2 controllers. Thinking Vixen may be "stuck" I checked the computer and it was fine. I even restarted it just to be on the safe side. I then went out and cut off the power to the controllers (arch lights now off) and then ran a sequence. I looked around my yard and found that 4 of the 18 controllers (2 of which are from the arch) are not doing anything. No LEDS on board are lighting and of course no lights either. I seems as though there not getting any data sent to them. However, they are all in different parts of the yard and not all grouped together. Here is a list of things that I tried today (didnt do alot since I had to work)

Restarted PC
Shut Down and Turned Back On Electrical Sub Panel (This is for Controllers only)
Unplugged a NON working controller and plugged it in directly to the Dongle

Any Ideas?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, by Trevor »
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: No Blinky
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, »
Sounds like a communication problem.

I would check the cat5 ends looking for corrosion on the connectors or sockets.

Was there any electric problem? Power surge, lightning?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, »
Was there any electric problem? Power surge, lightning?

Not that I'm aware of. I will def be checking this out as soon as I get back into town. I was on my drive back to work and I hit myself in the head not thinking to swap out the cat 5 wire. Thanks!
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, »
Or a Dongle failure.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, »
RJ if it was a dongle failure wouldn't all the channels "not be working?"

Offline caretaker

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, »
I would guess that you suffered from 485 Chip failures.  Since you didn't say what controllers (I will assume Lynx Express) you were using I will also assume that power lights are functioning correctly on the 4 bad controllers. If I have assumed correctly try swapping 484 chips with a known good controller and see if the controller comes to life. 
Jeff Squires

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, »
RJ if it was a dongle failure wouldn't all the channels "not be working?"

Yes I misunderstood in my read. I have to scan stuff sometimes do to time. I thought that was what the case was.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, »
i hadn't run my show in a few days, i turned everything on, and one of the expresses wasn't turning the lights of the arch on, i hit the reset button on the express, and it all started working...

also, when i set everything up, i had 2 arches (from one express) stay steady on, i replaced the cat cable, and it starting working.
in that situation, when the lights were on, the led's for each channel were all lit as well.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, »
i hadn't run my shoe in a few days, i turned everything on, and one of the expresses wasn't turning the lights of the arch on, i hit the reset button on the express, and it all started working...

also, when i set everything up, i had 2 arches (from one express) stay steady on, i replaced the cat cable, and it starting working.
in that situation, when the lights were on, the led's for each channel were all lit as well.

So why do you have lights on your shoe?

LOL

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, »
I then went out and cut off the power to the controllers (arch lights now off) and then ran a sequence. I looked around my yard and found that 4 of the 18 controllers (2 of which are from the arch) are not doing anything. No LEDS on board are lighting and of course no lights either. I seems as though there not getting any data sent to them. However, they are all in different parts of the yard and not all grouped together.

I'm confused,... it looks like you cut off power to the controllers and then nothing would work. Later it looks like you tried it with your controller plugged directly into the dongle?  Were there still "NO" LEDs lighting on the board?

I can understand people thinking comm problem but with no LEDs lighting on the board and no reaction at all,... sounds like something power supply related.

Leon

PS - I'm not sure why it would matter that they are in different parts of the yard unless you are running wireless but so far doesn't sound like the case.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, by WWNF911 »
Leon

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, »
The power is NOT the issue. I tried power from a working controller and still no blinky. As far as the LEDS go. The channel indicator leds dont work but everything else on the board will light up (ex: The "start up Lnyx Express 60htz, controller number, ect ect). I have not tried to swap out the CAT 5 cords yet but will do so as soon as I get back into town. Thanks for everything thus far will post again when I get them swaped out.

PS - I'm not sure why it would matter that they are in different parts of the yard unless you are running wireless but so far doesn't sound like the case.

They are not wireless. I was only stating that they were in different parts of the yard since it makes no sense (to me anyway) that if its a cAT 5 wire issue how others will work when the "lead Controller" isn't. Let me try to be more specific.

The first CAT 5 wire goes fron dongle to Controller 1. (NOT WORKING) then from Controler 1 to Controller 2 (NOT WORKING) then from Controller 2 to 3, 4, 5-14 (ALL WORKING) Controller 15 (NOT WORKING) then 17 (Works) 18 (NOT WORKING). Hopefuly that makes it a bit easier to understand as to why I said where they were placed. Sorry or the confusion  :-\
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, by Trevor »

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, »
if the channels light up, but not the status led's for that channel,  i'm thinking rs485 chip, or triac failure?

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, »
also, have you tried to hit the reset switch with the power on?

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, »
also, have you tried to hit the reset switch with the power on?

Nope not yet. Haven't tried very much cause when I noticed it I was on my way out the door for work and wont be back in town for a week or so.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, »
if the channels light up, but not the status led's for that channel,  i'm thinking rs485 chip, or triac failure?
A triac failure should not affect the operation of the channel LED's.  They should work regardless of the state of the triac. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving