Author Topic: CG-1500 mounting and the Express layout (or any of the boards that use this case  (Read 3897 times)

Offline Timon

Since the mounting bosses on the CG-1500 have changes will there be a minor change, at least one hopes it's minor, to the Express so it support the newer pattern? Hopefully both hole patters can be accommodated.

Also, I have a PDF of the mounting bosses pattern but I have no idea if it's the new or old style. Does anyone happen to have the layout for the newer case?

Thanks

Offline tbone321

I wouldn't count on any changes to the board.  If the board were going to be changed, it pobably would have been prior to the coop.  The problem is that in many cases the traces on the board get in the way and it is not always easy to move them. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jeffcoast

pretty sure it would be easy to move the traces for RJ, just might cost a little more to have the initial setup at the PCB manufacturer. I bet it is on his todo list, but wouldn't be a huge priority. The conductor would be what most of us want him working on. :)
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline egenoup

Just mount a piece of 3/8" plywood to the bosses and then use wood screws and nylon spacers to mount the controller to the ply... fixed!

<pop..

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
3/8 hard plastic water line from the hardware store works very well as standoffs.  It's about $.30 a foot.  You can mount the board using 6-32 screws about 3/4" long.  Cheap, Easy and it looks just like the original case.

Offline UncleBuck

I'm a picture guy! :-\ Having never completed an LE let alone mounted one, can you post a picture showing the differnt ways to mount the board to the CG-1500?

Offline Ozmin

• Patron Member
This is how I'm mounting mine.  By no means is this "the" preferred way.  Just like I could not tell you how to make the perfect sandwich.  I had access to some teflon sheets and cut them down to approx 1/2" thick x 1" wide x 9 3/4" long.  I cut reliefs to mount them to the box and counter sunk the holes that would house the screws, did not want any of the screw heads (I used #8 pan head stainless steel) protruding and contacting any of the solder joints.  After the strips were mounted, I took a few extra rubber grommets I had to put in between the board and teflon strips to act as a shock absorber (No pun intended).
I have heard of people using wood as stand offs.  I myself would not, (without some kind of non-conductive standoff to keep the board away from the wood) because wood retains moisture and we all know that water and eletricity do not mix well.  Anything 'non-conductive' would be a good choice, and I'm sure more of us will offer some excellant examples - Heck, if someone builds a better mouse trap - I'd use it!!!

Just my 2 cents

Bill A.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, by Ozmin »

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
Thank you very much Oz. This also helps me out. I have two i need to put into a case. Just waiting for the cases to arrive.
Sebastian from California

Offline pk

• Patron Member
Just a heads up -  If you plan on using wireless, the EX/RX extends about 1.75 inches beyond the top edge of the Express PCB. 

Offline Ozmin

• Patron Member
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just a heads up -  If you plan on using wireless, the EX/RX extends about 1.75 inches beyond the top edge of the Express PCB.

Good point - I assembled my first 2 without knowledge of the wireless (was not planning to use it @ the time) option.  The good thing about my mount is that I can just bring them down (adjust) 1 - 2 posts and accommodate the wireless option.

Bill A.

Offline Titus

I just finished mounting my first LE in a CG-1500.  Inspired by this thread, I started wandering around Walmart last night looking for something useful and I ended up with an You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  I cut it into 8 8.5x1 strips (there is a handle hole at the bottom making the last few inches unusable).  This gave me enough strips for 4 LEs.  I then used a 1/2" drill bit to drill about halfway through the board, followed by a small pilot hole in the center of the recess.  Worked perfect.  For standoffs, I had a bag of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login from when I repaired a leaky faucet, and they worked perfectly.

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
Titus,

Send some pics if you can.
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline Titus

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Titus,

Send some pics if you can.

Here you go!

Offline Timon

Interesting, there are 4 mounting bosses on the cover. Hum, now what can I use them for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk