Author Topic: Lynx EtherDongle or Lynx USB DMX Dongle for Lynx Express  (Read 3005 times)

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
Ok, I want to make sure that any new equipment I build has the ability to grow with the future road map of DLA equipment. I currently have 7 LE's 3 with wireless, and 2 TX/RX units + extra PCB's, and 1 USB DMX Dongle + extra PCB's. What I would like to know is should I get the components to build out the USB DMX Dongles or go with the new Lynx EtherDongle. Here are some specific questions I have.

1. Can the Lynx EtherDongle use the TX/RX units to send out the DMX signal to the Express Units.
2. If the answer to #1 is yes, then do I need any additional hardware between the Lynx EtherDongle and the TX/RX to send the signal.
3. What was the estimated cost of the last Lynx EtherDongle coop.

Thanks
Scott

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
1. yes
2. no, you can just flash the Etd for DMX and run it just like your regular dongle
3. Under $100.00

My personal opinion is to go with the Ether dongle if you want to grow your show; however what you have will work fine as well. For me the EtD just gives me more options, like the addition of the conductor, just for one.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, by rdebolt »

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
I just watched RJ on a DMX Lynx EtherDongle video. He had a combiner there. Do I need one of those?
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
The EtherDongle puts out 4 universes. So he was using the combiner to be able to access all four universes. If you don't use one then you will only get the first universe unless you create a custom cat5 cable. The combiner is so cheap and easy to build you might as well to get one.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline peteandvanessa

The EtherDongle puts out 4 universes. So he was using the combiner to be able to access all four universes. If you don't use one then you will only get the first universe unless you create a custom cat5 cable. The combiner is so cheap and easy to build you might as well to get one.

Rick R.

Just to be clear on this

If I have an ethernet dongle, that can put out four universes e.g. 4 x 4096 = 16384 channels

If I connect two Smart String Hubs via the Ethernet Dongle, each Hub can address 1 x 4096 each = 8192 channels

And if I connect four smart string hubs via the ethernet dongle I should get 4 x 4096 = 16384 channels

Or do I in fact need the Combiner to get either 8192 (using two Active Hubs) or upto 16384 (using four active hubs)?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
the 16 port active hub has jumpers on it that set which universe to pull off the etherdongle

so to get all 16k channels off one eD, and 4 active hubs...

hub 1 set for pixelnet 1
hub 2 set for pixelnet 2
hub 3 set for pixelnet 3
hub 4 set for pixelnet 4
eD programmed for pixelnet

and to get 2048 channels of dmx only off one eD
eD programmed for DMX
lynx combiner connected backwards, so that it acts like a splitter, instead of a combiner.
each of the 4 ports, would be the seperate dmx universe, and they're already numbered
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
in your calculation of costs...

** don't forget the incoming, and outgoing pigtails carrying the 110v power.  (go cheap with LED strings and you could use $1 cords from Dollar Store -- $18.  Me?  I'm going with heavier cable with grounding)

** also don't forget the case for the LE  ($10)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline peteandvanessa

the 16 port active hub has jumpers on it that set which universe to pull off the etherdongle

so to get all 16k channels off one eD, and 4 active hubs...

hub 1 set for pixelnet 1
hub 2 set for pixelnet 2
hub 3 set for pixelnet 3
hub 4 set for pixelnet 4
eD programmed for pixelnet

and to get 2048 channels of dmx only off one eD
eD programmed for DMX
lynx combiner connected backwards, so that it acts like a splitter, instead of a combiner.
each of the 4 ports, would be the seperate dmx universe, and they're already numbered

Thanks for confirming that Chrisatpsu

So it looks like I don't need the Combiner, just set the jumpers on each of the active hubs. Phew, I thought I needed a combiner for a moment.

Thanks again

Offline rm357

Lynx EtherDongle or Lynx USB DMX Dongle for Lynx Express
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, »
Also, don't forget that each hub can mirror one of the 8 512 channel pixel net blocks on that hub to a DMX output.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline bassmants

Sorry to hijack.  Can one etherdongle put out Pixelnet and DMX?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Lynx EtherDongle or Lynx USB DMX Dongle for Lynx Express
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, »

yes, via the dmx out on a 16port active hub
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline bassmants

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, »
Cool.  Thought I saw that but wanted to confirm.

Offline rm357

Lynx EtherDongle or Lynx USB DMX Dongle for Lynx Express
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, »

Current firmware is either pixel net or DMX on all four pairs, but as stated above, the active pixel net hub mirrors one of the eight 512 channel pixel net blocks to the DMX output.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline mmorlan62

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, »
When the Etherdongle is loaded with DMX firmware, what is the most direct connection to the Express?

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, »
When the Etherdongle is loaded with DMX firmware, what is the most direct connection to the Express?

I used the etherdongle programmed for DMX for the last 2 weeks of my 2011 show.  The output of the Ehterdongle can be connected directly to the DMX IN of the Lynx Express - just like the USB Dongle does.