Author Topic: Smart string help on mega tree.  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
Smart string help on mega tree.
« on: January 09, 2012, »
I have a question of you guys that are running smart strings on your mega trees.

I'm looking at trying replacing all my LEDS on my mega tree with Smart Srings.I have a few questions.  I know that it is no problem just running a smart string from the bottom to the top and just numberering pixel one at the top or pixel 1 on the bottom.  It would be very easy on programming since pixel #1 on each string is on the bottom or top. 

My questions is this I want to save on the cost of the strings and hardware.  So I was thinking instead of running two separate string. I could get a longer string to run from the bottom to the top and back down to the bottom.  Problem is this.

I could set the first pixel on the string #1 and then end the string at the top with what ever pixel # it ends up to be.  But I cannot just start another so called smart string (or what ever you call it) with the pixel #1 after the pixel at the top of the tree in the first string.  Because pixel #1 on this string is at the top and not at the bottom.  I would actually need the last pixel in the string to be the first pixel in the string but smart strings don't work that way its either forward or reverse number of the pixels or all pixels act as one.  Does that make sense.

So does LSP allow you to number backwards.  on the controller start channel.  I know it does sound right.

Just trying to see if I there was a way that LSP  could to treat one smart string as two smart strings with channel one of each of the strings at the bottom.  If not programming would be a pain if not impossible especially with the transitions and other effects.

Just running thru the numbers because with one Smart string hub I could have 16 x2 = 32 strings instead of two hubs running 32 strings.  The tree is not that tall and the each string length would only be 140".  So I wouldn't be taxing a single hub with long string lengths.

I may be RGB illiterate as far as LSP functions go as the only RGB equipment that I'm running are the Aethers.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, by Rod R »

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
Re: Smart string help on mega tree.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, »
I would ask mmulvenna.. He seems to be pretty knowledgeable  about lsp..
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline animal

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, »
You can reverse the order when you draw the string. I did that with my pixel layout on my gutter. Left gutter and the right gutter are the same channels, I just reversed the order when I drew it so it mirrors itself. I Think this is what your looking for. I'm sure mike will help with the best solution.
 animal

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, »
Here is one way: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

and this one: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Myk

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, »
i think i get it. you set up controllers in lsp, but it doesn't have to match what the actual hardware is connected to. 

so, for 80 nodes, you set up a controller for 40 (for the string going up)

then another controller of 40 nodes (for the string coming back)

once it's drawn on the preview, then that will help with transitions?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rm357

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, »
I set my tree up as a 16x46 matrix in LSP. When you do that, it asks you how the strings are ordered. There are about 8 patterns that you can choose from - up, down, up, down is one of them.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, »
Exactly, on lsp you can set things up as display elements
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, »
yes, so 2 controllers per string in your example - 1st controller channel 1 to 40, 2nd controller channel 41 to 80, 3rd controller 81 to 120 etc

then define the matrix col 1 up, col 2 down, col 3 up etc - pattern F if I remember correctly.....

LSP will internal map the top to bottom string in reverse order

Myk

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i think i get it. you set up controllers in lsp, but it doesn't have to match what the actual hardware is connected to. 

so, for 80 nodes, you set up a controller for 40 (for the string going up)

then another controller of 40 nodes (for the string coming back)

once it's drawn on the preview, then that will help with transitions?

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, »
Thanks for the info guys this will save both time and money (we like more money so we can but more blinky flashy).  I already built the SS Hardware ordered a couple strings from Ray to test how they look on a couple elements in the yard.  But with you input it looks like LSP can handle the SS hardware the way I want on my Mega Tree.  I'll test it out once I get the pixels from Ray.