Author Topic: Wireless Setup?  (Read 8267 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Wireless Setup?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, »
Question:

When you plug the EtherDongle into your network router (cat5) and ac transformer does the Green led come where you plug in the cat5 along with maybe some slow flashing of the orange led?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, »
Question:

When you plug the EtherDongle into your network router (cat5) and ac transformer does the Green led come where you plug in the cat5 along with maybe some slow flashing of the orange led?

Rick R.

Yes (Unlike my second Etd I might add ;) )
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, by rdebolt »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, »
if it works wired, and not wireless from the laptop, i'm thinking either firewall, or maybe the router doesn't like multicast over it wirelessly...  i don't have much expierence wiith actiontec
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, »
So that means the router is talking to the Etd. So that is good

It seems the computer is not sending out the multi-cast to the router. Is there anything blocking output on your computer?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, »
to expand Rick's comment...   and messages, or statuses with your firewall or antivirus. sometime they see the broadcast of multicast as suspicious activity.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, »
So that means the router is talking to the Etd. So that is good

It seems the computer is not sending out the multi-cast to the router. Is there anything blocking output on your computer?

Rick R.

I don't know what it would be, I have firewall and antivirus off. I have a wireless printer that works fine, so I would think that computer is sending some data anyway.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, »
I turned firewall on just to see what would happen and when I tried to run, it wanted to block, but I set to allow and still nothing.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, »
it seems as though the connection isuue would be in a setting or feature in the wireless router. I'm not entirely sure.

maybe someone else can help?

i thought maybe AP isolation might be turned on
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, by chrisatpsu »

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, »
try this, hook your laptop up wired to your router and see if you can access the eD then.  We know your laptop is not blocking anything when you hook your laptop direct wired to the eD, but hooking wired to your dsl modem/router will tell us if the router is blocking multicast.

I cant find anything on the net about that model supporting or not supporting multicast - I am still searching....

Myk

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, »
found this on google search

The Actiontec/Qwest M1000, PK5000, GT701WG ADSL, and MI424WR modem/routers do not support the multicast protocol, which is needed for the all-in-one printer to be easily detected on the wireless network.

am still searching

have you checked that you have the latest avail firmware for your modem/router?

Myk

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, »
OK, am finding more and more - that model does not support multicast...... :(

you have 2 options....

1)  disable the router/wiresless in it and hook up a compatible wireless router to a eth port on it, and then use the ports on the wireless router (dlink is a brand that i have used for years and have been happy with).

2)  set your dsl modem into bridge mode, then again get a wiresless router and set it up with your PPPoE login/pass - your modem will just get you your internet connection in this mode (like a dumb modem, everything would be config/setup in the wireless router).

Option #2 is what I use as I have a Actiontec dsl modem here from Qwest as well.  Phone line from wall to dsl modem, eth cable from dsl modem to wireless router, login/password firewall config, port forwarding etc is all controlled from the wireless router.  The modem just sits there, in bridge mode the internet led will never light up as it never logs in with your PPPoE credentials because the wireless router does....

It is easy to put the dsl modem into bridge mode also...

Myk

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, »
Mykroft, thanks for the research. I have no problem getting a new modem, but I still have 1 question. If I can connect to the printer and 4 other computers on my home network is that not using multicast? Just curious trying to wrap my pee sized brain around this. Or is this a type of unicast?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, »
I believe multicast is alike a radio station it sends out some info and if your radio is listening to that freq than you hear that station along with any other radio.

So if your computer is sending out 239.255.0.1 …. 239.255.0.32 (assuming using 16k channels) and the etherdongle is listening for the 239.255 range of info. Your router normally assigns address for your computer something like 192.168.0.18 along with other computers and the printer. So they never listen to the 239 address/data.

Clear as mud?

Rick R.

P.S. I could be totally wrong and someone will correct me :)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, »
Clear as mud?

ABSOLUTELY!!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, »
I don't see where this says anything about multicast so I am asking the experts if this one should work?

I am not sure if I have to stick with "Approved" ones from my ISP or not, but this one is "Approved"