Author Topic: Wireless Setup?  (Read 8265 times)

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
Re: Wireless Setup?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Mykroft, thanks for the research. I have no problem getting a new modem, but I still have 1 question. If I can connect to the printer and 4 other computers on my home network is that not using multicast? Just curious trying to wrap my pee sized brain around this. Or is this a type of unicast?

Multicast is specific on top of TCP/IP and SMB that your network router supports that other devices use to talk to each other.

Did you try my suggestion of hooking your laptop up to your router using a wired cable and trying to access the eD.  We know it works when you go direct from laptop to eD wired, but this will go laptop > router > eD - if it does not work this way - you have just confirmed your router does not support multicast....

Myk

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, »
I believe multicast is alike a radio station it sends out some info and if your radio is listening to that freq than you hear that station along with any other radio.

So if your computer is sending out 239.255.0.1 …. 239.255.0.32 (assuming using 16k channels) and the etherdongle is listening for the 239.255 range of info. Your router normally assigns address for your computer something like 192.168.0.18 along with other computers and the printer. So they never listen to the 239 address/data.

Clear as mud?

Rick R.

P.S. I could be totally wrong and someone will correct me :)

That is correct what the router is not doing is auto forwarding the 239.255.x.x address range thru itself - so nothing is seeing the multicast packets...

Myk

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, »
Did you try my suggestion of hooking your laptop up to your router using a wired cable and trying to access the eD.  We know it works when you go direct from laptop to eD wired, but this will go laptop > router > eD - if it does not work this way - you have just confirmed your router does not support multicast....

Myk

Yes it ran the sequence fine.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2012, »
I don't see where this says anything about multicast so I am asking the experts if this one should work?

I am not sure if I have to stick with "Approved" ones from my ISP or not, but this one is "Approved"

Seeing user reviews on Amazon about this modem - and they say no, to stream media to a Xbox 360 it requires multicast also, and users are saying no....

You dont have to use a approved dsl modem - you wont be able to get tech support from them on the modem.....

Ok, saw your updated post as I was typing this - so then the wireless part of the modem/router does not support multicast but the wired ports do - maybe Actiontec dont want to send the extra multicast data out the wireless because of bandwidth - but that seems silly as alot of ppls hook their Xbox 360s up wireless.....

Myk

Again, what I would do is keep your current modem/router - bridge it - and look for a good seperate wireless/router - like I did here....

Myk

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2012, »
might call your isp tech support and ask them why multicast works wired, but not wireless and see what they say?

again, check if you have latest firmware for your current model...

Myk

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2012, »
another possible solution - since the wired ports are forwarding multicast is....

get a wireless AP and plug that into a eth port on the back of your router - set it up as a seperate wireless network, then have your laptop connect to the new wireless network

That will give you access to the eD wireless, and also your normal network/internet going thru your router..

Myk

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2012, »
i have the Linksys(Cisco) Wireless Router WRT54G2 and I can confirm that multicast works with this router.
you don't have to get this model, but you could hook it up to your existing modem, and disable wireless on the modem, and set it up to be a gateway or bridge?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rimist

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2012, »
I have that same linksys wrt54g and you have to be careful of version numbers, not all are created equally. I bought a router compatible with ddwrt and haven't looked back.

-Rimist
- Rimist

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, »
hmmm. I will look at the settings when I get home. Maybe some security enabled in wireless. I do have the latest firmware. They are not real good about updating firmware because they like you to buy the new updated one when it comes out!

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, »
mine's the wrt54G2, it's black and sleek looking,   you can't get the wrt54g anymore, that's the one that was half blue, and half black with the antennas sticking out the back

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, »
mine is a custom embeded aix unit running pfsense w/wireless.  Have yet to find something it cant do :)

Myk

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, »
I changed some settings in the wireless configuration and still no go. I guess it is time to go shopping for a new router. I won't be able to get out until this weekend probably, but I will post as soon as I get a new one and set up.

Chris is there a reason that you picked the on that you have? I have found a couple other Linksys similar to yours in my area, but have not found your specific one yet. If I am going to buy one, I want one that is going to be fast and have a very strong signal, but I also want it to support multicast of course. I don't really want to order one online if I don't have to.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, »
mine is a custom embeded aix unit running pfsense w/wireless.  Have yet to find something it cant do
Myk

I designed my own from parts in my junk box one weekend and run JJ and I off of it over 700 feet away inside their brick home!

See if you want to play this game?    >:D

RJ

(hopefully all will know that I am kidding right?)
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2012, »
I used to work for a company that had a close relationship with Linksys before they were bought out by Cisco.  most of my devices are still wireless G, and i've always liked the service with them...  you can call them, and they setup your router for whatever service you're using. plus if they have to replace your stuff, they overnight a new one to you, and even make sure you replace the power cord, "just in case"

I've had the older WRT54G in the past, and i couldn't get my hands on one anymore, so i found the model number with a "2" on the end to get something almost similar to it.

i'm running firmware 1.5.01

i'm sure there are newer ones out there that do more, but this one just did everything that were in MY needs.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2012, »
mine is a custom embeded aix unit running pfsense w/wireless.  Have yet to find something it cant do
Myk

I designed my own from parts in my junk box one weekend and run JJ and I off of it over 700 feet away inside their brick home!

See if you want to play this game?    >:D

RJ

(hopefully all will know that I am kidding right?)

you have that all hooked up to your pringles can, er, i mean CANtenna?