Author Topic: Other nodes no longer available  (Read 1471 times)

Offline zwiller

Other nodes no longer available
« on: January 09, 2012, »
Went to Ray's store via the wiki links and there is a notice on all nodes except the ss that they are no longer available. Wonder what's up? 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Other nodes no longer available
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, »
Its happen before. So either the part numbers changed or he is out of stock or some kind of glitch. Either way it will get resolved

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, »
i have a msg in to him about it.  i believe, but don't know for certain that the pages for the individual pieces expire after so many days.

b/c what's left (for what we get) is the smart string nodes (which were updated to be the ip68)

and with everything else expiring, that it makes sense. at least to me.

i'll post when he gets back.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline thestig

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, »
looks like the links work again, at least the flex strips are now available to order.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, »
yeah, he just needs to redo the links every so many hundred days or so or aliexpress expires them

Offline zwiller

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, »
Cool.  Glad to see they are still available.  Thanks for the help. 

Seems like this Ray is a pretty good guy.  Do you think if I emailed him and explained to him that I wanted 2/3 nodes of SS, square, and rect to check out before placing an large order he could do that?  I really want to see how these perform firsthand to determine how I will use them. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, »
Sure why not. Shipping is more of a cost issue than the nodes. See if he will send out a sample pack for a small price with the idea of ordering more at a later date.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, »
Cool.   8)

Shot Ray an email.  Hopefully shipping is reasonable. 

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, »
Well I think some things were lost in translation.  Ray followed up with me but he wants to ship me 3 - 128 node ss, 20 square nodes, and 20 rect nodes...   Good part is the shipping prices are MUCH better that I originally anticipated for an order like that, but the bad part is I only wanted 3 pixels of each...  I'll shoot him back and see what I can work out.  Must...  resist...  placing... order... 

In the meantime, another member has offered to ship me a few pixels to play with.   ;D

I suppose this is a good a time as any to ask stupid rgb questions...  So, is a SS node a single 5050 rgb led?  Are the square or rectangular pixels effectively 3 times brighter since they have 3 leds?  Can you connect each type of these together?  IE connect a square to a rect to ss node on same SSC.  Real stupid question.  There's no way to run dumb nodes from a SSC right?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, by zwiller »

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, »
smart string node, i rgb led with a chip to control it

rectangles, squares, 3 rgb leds controlled by one chip (the leds all do the same color at the same time

strips, each node is one rgb led, but three are controlled by one chip, so the three leds can show different colors

yes, they all can be wired together, but the smart string node uses a different color code wiring...
smart string node
red +
green -
blue data

the others
red +
blue-
green data

as far as running dumb nodes, the smart string controller sends data to chips in the nodes to control color intensities
on dumb nodes, they are work by applying power to the different wires (one wire for red, one for green, and one for blue) there is no data line, so the ssc can't directly talk to it.

some have used a different controller to power "dumb" nodes or strings (like the 16ch dc controller)