Author Topic: Where does xLights go next?  (Read 7961 times)

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
Where does xLights go next?
« on: January 11, 2012, »
I've been thinking a lot about where to take xLights next and I need feedback from the group.

In your reply, please RANK the features you would like to see from most important to least. Or if you like xLights just the way it is, no more changes, please state that. Justifications and constructive criticism are always welcome. As with any free software, there are no guarantees, but this will help prioritize my time. You may include in your list any of the items below, or feel free to add others (as long as you perceive the time investment to be modest).

So here are some possibilities I've thought of, in no particular order:

1) Updated Mac version - the version on SourceForge is way out of date. I have been working on this one, but have run into some bugs that I haven't been able to solve yet. If you vote for this one, would you be ok if the updated version was for Intel-based Macs only?

2) A compiled Linux version. Please specify which version of Linux if you pick this one.

3) Merge the Scheduler and Tester programs so that you can run tests while your show is waiting to run (currently you have to exit the scheduler to run tests).

4) Create an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch version of the Tester program. This would be E1.31 ONLY - so only compatible with the Etherdongle,  ECG devices, and some of the projects on DIYC.

5) Create an Android version of the Tester program. This would be E1.31 ONLY - so only compatible with the Etherdongle,  ECG devices, and some of the projects on DIYC.

6) Add startup parameters to the scheduler, so you could invoke it from the command line or from the Windows scheduler and have it play a particular playlist for a specified duration. The GUI would still be displayed, but you could give it direction on what to do via the parameters.

7) Since LOR controllers, and now D-Light controllers, speak DMX, I would like to remove support for the LOR and D-Light protocols. People with these controllers would have to run them in DMX mode. Even though people might bemoan the lack of flexibility, I think they will really like the improved responsiveness (i.e. no lag) in their shows. Secondly, if we take this step, then I can simplify the scheduler to only play xLights sequence files. LOR and Vixen sequences would need to be run through the xLights converter. This would make the xLights coding much simpler (I vote for this one  :) )

8 ) Support for DMX Universes in LOR sequences (e.g. in S3, you select Insert Device, then select DMX Universe). I am going to do this one anyway.

9) Add support for LSP sequences in the xLights converter.

10) Display real channel names in the Tester, instead of "Channel 123".

11) Create a program to display, and possibly make simple modifications to, an xLights sequence file.

Please note that I think it is highly unlikely that xLights will support Vixen 3.0 sequences in 2012, unless Vixen 3.0 includes some sort of export to Vixen 2.1 format. Well there you have it. I look forward to reading your responses.

Matt
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, by dowdybrown »
Matt Brown
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Where does xLights go next?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, »
#8, #10, #9, #7 (can live with), #4 (optional, nice to have, since I have an iphone)

And voting for #12 and #13 if possible ... and really those were a couple of my favorite things I could do in LOR that I can't do in xlights.

I'm not so much in favor of #7, but could live with it and understand why.

I"m not interested in the other options much ... and worry about your ability to support
all those platforms over time ... not sure you'd want to go there for your own sanity.

I'd like to keep xlights as small and simple as possible.   

12) A 'Show on Demand' or 'Sequence on Demand' feature would be nice ... meaning it could queue up a show or sequence "on demand" ... then resume normal schedule thereafter.

13) Maybe a check box to 'Disable Schedule after end of current schedule / aka Graceful show shutdown' or 'after end of current sequence'.

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, »
First...  I haven't said this enough -- but xLights is a GREAT program, great features, rock-solid, and I can't imagine how my show could have happened without this program.  THANKS!!

With the ability to execute external commands from within the tool, this is less important.  BUT, I would still be interested in creating web pages as a front end to xLights -- that I could offer to my viewers as the ability to select songs -- a jukebox.  So starting a song from the command-line would be valuable for that reason.
6) Add startup parameters to the scheduler, so you could invoke it from the command line or from the Windows scheduler and have it play a particular playlist for a specified duration. The GUI would still be displayed, but you could give it direction on what to do via the parameters.

I'm interested in switching to Linux -- possibly -- but I can build for myself.  Still my favorite distribution(s) are RedHat and Fedora... being able to build without making code changes would be great.  With full Linux support available, I'd likely implement the web-based front-end (described above).
2) A compiled Linux version. Please specify which version of Linux if you pick this one.

I like this!!  BUT don't forget to offer us a way to map channels to specific ports, like the python script created by Frankr.  I'd guess the info should be available from LSP2 to allow this mapping step to be avoided altogether!
9) Add support for LSP sequences in the xLights converter.

Very helpful!!

I use an android phone and prefer Android because its always with me.
5) Create an Android version of the Tester program. This would be E1.31 ONLY - so only compatible with the Etherdongle,  ECG devices, and some of the projects on DIYC.

I like this one.
3) Merge the Scheduler and Tester programs so that you can run tests while your show is waiting to run (currently you have to exit the scheduler to run tests).

I like this!
11) Create a program to display, and possibly make simple modifications to, an xLights sequence file.

I have iPods, and would like this.
4) Create an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch version of the Tester program. This would be E1.31 ONLY - so only compatible with the Etherdongle,  ECG devices, and some of the projects on DIYC.

An item not on your list: 
14) The List-Selection controls in the GUI are awkward, and I suggest they could use refinement.  Selecting an item -- without a visible indication that it is selected -- causes me to be confused everytime.

Another thing that I'd recommend for xLights and LSP2 alike...
15) run the code through some source code analyzers (multiple if you can find them).  Getting results from Coverity, Fortify, or a good lint-like tool might uncover some anomalies and might even make the code more portable.  I am not aware of problems with xLights :) but LSP2 could surely benefit from Purify, BoundsChecker, or some other tool to help find memory leaks.

I agree with taybrynn's input...

Yes.  xLights does not need code bloat.  If offering new features, maybe breaking it up into multiple/separate tools would be better.  A scheduler, a player, a converter, a configurator, ...
I'd like to keep xlights as small and simple as possible.   

I like this
12) A 'Show on Demand' or 'Sequence on Demand' feature would be nice ... meaning it could queue up a show or sequence "on demand" ... then resume normal schedule thereafter.

I like this too!
13) Maybe a check box to 'Disable Schedule after end of current schedule / aka Graceful show shutdown' or 'after end of current sequence'.

=========================  My cut line... :) ============================

I'm leaving S3 behind for LSP2, so LOR features are not important to me now...  I expect disappointment from the community if LOR is not fully supported.
8 ) Support for DMX Universes in LOR sequences (e.g. in S3, you select Insert Device, then select DMX Universe). I am going to do this one anyway.

It won't bother me... but I expect disappointment from the community on this too.
Please note that I think it is highly unlikely that xLights will support Vixen 3.0 sequences in 2012, unless Vixen 3.0 includes some sort of export to Vixen 2.1 format. Well there you have it. I look forward to reading your responses.

I liked having native LOR support, and hate to see it go.  Still, I've sold my LOR controllers -- in favor of new LEs, leaving me with only 2 CCRs.  I could part with the the CCRs if I find a move to CCR/DMX is a problem for me.
7) Since LOR controllers, and now D-Light controllers, speak DMX, I would like to remove support for the LOR and D-Light protocols. People with these controllers would have to run them in DMX mode. Even though people might bemoan the lack of flexibility, I think they will really like the improved responsiveness (i.e. no lag) in their shows. Secondly, if we take this step, then I can simplify the scheduler to only play xLights sequence files. LOR and Vixen sequences would need to be run through the xLights converter. This would make the xLights coding much simpler (I vote for this one  :) )

I don't use Mac, so this is automatically at the bottom.
1) Updated Mac version - the version on SourceForge is way out of date. I have been working on this one, but have run into some bugs that I haven't been able to solve yet. If you vote for this one, would you be ok if the updated version was for Intel-based Macs only?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, »
#9  LSP support.  Since I'm an LSP and had a heck of a time with LSP scheduler sinceV2 came out couldn't run on last years show computer.   I know David is working on fixes but since I'm looking at the Lynx conductor as the next step to get the computer out of the loop and it looks like xlights is going to be running the scheduler I don't want to have convert from one software to another and loose some date or timing in between conversions.  I tried to covert some of my sequences some transferred OK others had a lot of problems in the conversion process.

#3 would be a great tool as things to go wrong or you want to try different things before the show starts so you can make changes later.

#6again a very nice option to have.

#10 makes ti a lot easier for the user so you don't have to remember what is what.

#11 A good option to have so you can make those small tweeks in between shows.

If you could do it live while the show is going on that would be great. This would allow you to makes tweeks after the sequence is played and if xlights would pick up the new version net time around then see the changes that you made.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, by Rod R »

Offline rimist

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, »

I would elaborate, however the other two seem to have covered the bases nicely. I plan on ubuntu linux, or perhaps bsd. I use an android phone, and love the jukebox concept, especially phone driven, even better, merged with the queue next then resume program function.
-Rimist
- Rimist

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, »
9 and 10 are the only things on that list I would really want. The rest don't think would apply to me all that much.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline ebrady

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, »
#10,#11 and #6 in no particular order

#2 - Excellent option, I would not necessarily lock this to a particular distribution, as you will constantly be hounded for ports to other distributions.  Instead, build the typical Linux Autoconfigure/Automake script and have the user build it. Once this is in place, you could look at having it picked up by some of the popular distributions.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, by ebrady »

Offline keitha43

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, »
9) Add support for LSP sequences in the xLights converter
5) Create an Android version of the Tester program

It may be a moot point as I hope to use a conductor if released this year but a backup plan is always good. I couldn't use the new format this year as some of my sequences the channels would act funky and #9 would probably fix that. #11 would have been a real help also. Both mobile phone testers would save a lot of time and running back and forth. I think I will have to figure out how to do #7 anyway for the conductor and I think I remember taybrynn trying it out and giving it a thumbs up. However it would be a problem for those who don't have a DMX dongle.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, by keitha43 »

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, »
I would still like to see the ability to save a configuration file (actually multiples) in the tester.  Hard to test RGB stuff in hybrid mode without having to go and uncheck the first 3 nodes of every controller and have to do it every time I start the tester.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, »
#5 and or #4 Now have an Android but could allways change back to Iphone.

I also like  taybrynns additional changes.

Tom

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, »
5) Create an Android version of the Tester program.
3) Merge the Scheduler and Tester programs

and taybrynn's great ideas
13) Maybe a check box to 'Disable Schedule after end of current schedule
12) A 'Show on Demand' or 'Sequence on Demand' feature would be nice

"Please note that I think it is highly unlikely that xLights will support Vixen 3.0 sequences in 2012"
As is looks like I will be using Vixen 3.0 this year, this is Very sad news but understandable at this time.

and THANKS for a GREAT program.

-Jeff

Offline lightsoncallaway

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, »
#9, could even go with #7 and have LSP sequences be required to be ran through the xlights converter.

dandyman

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, »
#6,7,8,9,10,& 11 for me :-)

thanks !!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, »
Hi Matt,

1) "Mac Version" = Intel-base is fine with me - Not a top priority for me, windows or linux works.
2) "Linux Version" = Debian
3) "Scheduler and Tester combine" = Great, I do have issues with xTester and E1.31 where some strings light up and others don't. So looking for a easier way to "Select All" for E1.31 and then later unselect channels I don't want and I agree with jnealand about save selection.
4) "Apple IOS Tester" = Awesome, Yes
10) "Display real channel names" = Yes

For whats it worth. Moving forward to the conductor, I am thinking the tester will remain important but the scheduler will take a back seat. Now for the folks that don't use the conductor than I see xScheduler very much needed. My show would not of ran this year if not for the file conversion to xseq and I was only sending out 1260 channels.

Many thanks for all of your hard work and giving us the tools to test and run our shows.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline crazybob

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, »
An option I don't see on your list that would be very helpful:
A more laid out scheduler. One of the features I like on vixen is the ability to schedule routines, weeks in advance, and have them only run on certain nights. I could have one routine run at midnight for new years only. With xlights, I had to re-schedule my sequences the week before new years.