Author Topic: Where does xLights go next?  (Read 7956 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Where does xLights go next?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, »
Would it be possible to give David @ LSP the required information so that LSP could export directly into xlights or conductor format?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, »
The older version of xLights used a calendar scheduler. You could set the start and end time of you show each day but it only allow for one show per day. Maybe a combination and or option of scheduler layouts would be useful. Like you can choose the current week scheduler or switch it over to the Month scheduler (like your email client).

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, »
5, 9,10, 11 and Taybrynn 13. 8 is moot if you are going to do it anyway.  AND Rick's Suggestion above.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, by rdebolt »

Offline Timon

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, »
1) Mac version YES, Intel only I can live with if that help solves issues. As far as versions of the Mac OS just keep it compatible with Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion so older hardware can be used.

2) If others want it I for it.

3) Would be a nice feature but I'd rather see an IOS app, OK I guess the Android users as well, that allows you to take control of the entire system. Being able to shutdown a playing song, make changes to the schedule and run tests would be a nice feature. Also the ability to take a set of channels off line if they are failing. I'd have the IOS app talk to the scheduler rather then the controllers directly. If you can I'd love to see this work across the Internet maybe taking a feed from a web cam so you can see what's going on but local only is just fine.

4) See #3

5) See #3

6) Why not, it should be a really easy thing to do since you get the command line information from the Host OS anyway.

7) I can totally accept doing this. Should be no change to anyones sequences.

8) Agree

9) Totally agree.

10) Makes total sense.

11) That makes sense if you moving toward your own sequences in the future.

A while back I put my suggestion in for a third mode and that's LOR to DMX translation tables in xlights. I've been thinking about this and think what should be done is creating a table driven version of the translator that allows total control over how LOR sequence controllers and channels get mapped to xlights. Same for the other sequencers.

LOR controller channels would also not be limited to 16 but could have the full 512 channels available so one could write LOR sequences where a LOR controller would equal one DMX universe. This way you don't need the advanced version just to directly map DMX inside of S3. It's almost like a whole bunch of iDMX modules but with complete abilities on all channels unlike iDMX.

Using the table any LOR controller/channel could be mapped to any DMX channel. This allows one to import sequences from others and remap them to their own channel mappings.

An nice optional feature of the translator could be the ability to not only create an xlights file but also a remapped LOR sequences to make future editing easier. Multiple translation file would be allowed you just select the one you want and then translate. So if you have  Richard Holdman's sequences you would have a Richard Holdman translation table. If you had sequences from someone else you would have a table for them. Later you could even add RGB translation into the mix to make moving from colored lights to RGB lights easier.

One future feature would be the ability to run more than one video display. Not an issue currently as I don't think any of the sequencers support more than one anyway but I'm sure it will happen. Just leave in the hooks for the future.

For windows and the Mac the ability to use their own calendars to start shows.

If you want to brain storm I'm available. It's one of my engineering strong points and what I've done at the last several places I've worked.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, by Timon »

Offline comporder1

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, »

My first and biggest suggestion!! - 8 ) Support for DMX Universes in LOR sequences

4) Create an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch version of the Tester program.

10) Display real channel names in the Tester, instead of "Channel 123".  It would be great if this would work on the iphone app too.

I would like to discourage this one.
7) Since LOR controllers, and now D-Light controllers, speak DMX, I would like to remove support for the LOR and D-Light protocols. People with these controllers would have to run them in DMX mode. Even though people might bemoan the lack of flexibility, I think they will really like the improved responsiveness (i.e. no lag) in their shows. Secondly, if we take this step, then I can simplify the scheduler to only play xLights sequence files. LOR and Vixen sequences would need to be run through the xLights converter. This would make the xLights coding much simpler (I vote for this one  :) )
While I understand the appeal to have a single sequence file support, I regularly alter my sequences. I love the ability to change my sequences any time I want and xlights just continues to play them without having to go thru a conversion process.

Thank you for your committment to this hobby!!
Carey

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, »
The other thing I will mentioned with item#7 ... is that I have some sequences, maybe 30-40% of them, where the xlights .xseq file is actually way BIGGER than the .lms file ... I'm not sure playing back those larger files is helpful, but I'm also not sure why the conversion actually makes some sequences bigger, which in other instances, can make the sequence 1/3 the size.

I do think that if xlights supported the LOR DMX universe, it could make things on the LOR side a lot easier ... because building out 16ch controllers, while simple ... is time consuming for many to do.

I generated the XML myself and just threw it into the LOR config file, because there was no way I was going to manually build 256 16ch controllers and then label all those channels manually. 

At this point, I still think generating XML is the easiest way to add stuff to the LOR config file, so that could be a candidate for a utility program. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, »
The other thing I will mentioned with item#7 ... is that I have some sequences, maybe 30-40% of them, where the xlights .xseq file is actually way BIGGER than the .lms file ... I'm not sure playing back those larger files is helpful, but I'm also not sure why the conversion actually makes some sequences bigger, which in other instances, can make the sequence 1/3 the size.

I do think that if xlights supported the LOR DMX universe, it could make things on the LOR side a lot easier ... because building out 16ch controllers, while simple ... is time consuming for many to do.

I generated the XML myself and just threw it into the LOR config file, because there was no way I was going to manually build 256 16ch controllers and then label all those channels manually. 

At this point, I still think generating XML is the easiest way to add stuff to the LOR config file, so that could be a candidate for a utility program.

I was looking at that this morning and was wondering the same thing. Matt uses the LOR network and not the DMX network setup. I know Matt ignores any network protocol setup in S3, just uses the Regular and AUX "x" networks you setup in the LMS file
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline caretaker

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, »
First of all THANKS! for your time in creating and updating X-Lights, with out it I would not have had a 2011 show. Now on to your question:

1- 5 don't apply to me so no interest there.

6. Sound Interesting, not sure if I would use it but would be nice to have.

7. Definitely Yes, since older version of X-Lights work, those that still use LOR/Dlight protocol can use the previous version.

8,9,10 and 11 are all a yes for me. 
Jeff Squires

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, »
My preferences:

*Mac version -- I was the big complainer about a universal PPC/Intel version (I think), but that was back a while (maybe before July 2010?). Subsequently, I have begun the Great Migration away from PPC to Intel, so I'm less of a bigot these days. If you've got a bug that you can't solve in a universal version, then I guess I'm not going to be pushed out of shape by an Intel-only version (but I still have 10 G4-based machines around, versus only one Pentium,).

*As I posted previously, I'd like a more sophisticated scheduler, which works off a calendar rather than days of the week. As I said earlier, I'd have to think there is some example code floating around the 'Net that could point you in the right direction.

*I'd really like to be able to keep the audio files and the sequence files in their native Vixen locations. I have so little disk space on my Pentium that I can't have duplicates of the audio files, so to go back to V to rework a sequence, I have to move all the audio back, do my fixes, and then move the audio again. PITA.

Thanks for all your hard work on xLights -- since my copy V refused to run the scheduler this season, if it hadn't been for xLights I wouldn't have had a show. Much appreciated.

\dmc

Offline urthegman

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, »
9,10,3 and 11 in that order would be at the top of my list!

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, »
10) Display real channel names in the Tester, instead of "Channel 123".

Sorting, grouping and filtering by channel names to be able work with groups for testing. Maybe take the channel groups and sort orders from vixen.

Absolutely - save selection to file(s) for later use.

3) Merge the Scheduler and Tester programs so that you can run tests while your show is waiting to run (currently you have to exit the scheduler to run tests).

4) Create an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch version of the Tester program. This would be E1.31 ONLY - so only compatible with the Etherdongle,  ECG devices, and some of the projects on DIYC.

Thanks for a great program!

-Paul
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, by PJNMCT »
Leesburg, FL

Offline tng5737

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, »
9, 10 and 2 (Ubuntu 11.10) for me.    Also would like you to give DJ at LSp enought info so he could export directly to Xlights.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, »
I would recommend refinement in usability.  Some of these new wiz bang features are nice, but I think we all seen what happens when these new toys get in front of what's really high on most people priority list.  "LSP comes to mind".

I think xLights niche is being a stable, flexible show player and scheduler.  I'd like to see more refinement in usability around the scheduler and player.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, »
I believe in the video RJ talked about the conductor he mentioned ha gave the conductor info to LSP developer already but it still is good to have backup plans if the conductor isn't released, hardware failure, ect. Xlights helped me have a show due to LSP scheduler problems.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, »
I'll second what Jeffl just said. 

Stay really good at what you do, but don't try to do too much.