Author Topic: Where does xLights go next?  (Read 7955 times)

Offline Timon

Where does xLights go next?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, »
One feature I'd "LOVE" to see in the xlights scheduler is the ability to set the in and out points for each sequence in the show.

Why you might ask? So you can create quick short shows. You pick the best section of a sequence and set them in the order you want and presto, a short show. Great when it gets busy and you need to move traffic along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Where does xLights go next?
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, »
I'm not sure I'm following that last request, but it did make me think about another nice capability.

It would be cool to be able to assign a number to each sequence in a playlist.  Lets just say 1-9 for discussion.

Lets also say there is a default 'threshold' number, which allows all sequences with a that number or less to play.
So say the default threshold is 9 ... so in other words, play every song.

But you enter a lower threshold during playback, which would alter the sequences to be included going forward.
When the crowds subside, you would enter 9 again.

You could even schedule the same playlist with a different default threshold during your know peak hours if you wanted.

For example: playlist A with 9 songs ... you assign the best songs to have threshold 3, next 3 to have 6 and all others (last 3) with 9.

THen you sechedule your first hour of the day to run using 9 on playlist A, then scheduled playlist A to run with 6 threshold for next hour, then during your peak hour, you adjust down to playlist A with threshold 3 ... then back to playlist A with threshold 9 from 9pm on.

Again, just saying this would be one way to make a playlist fairly tweakable, without having to make lots of playlists ... and could also give an ability to adhoc a single number to xlights to handle traffic situations easily.

Just a thought.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Timon

Where does xLights go next?
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, »
That sounds interesting as well.

What I was getting to was this. You set the start and endpoints for each song, i.e., start plating at time index 1:23.15 end at time index 2:15.25 so you end upmarket playing 52.1 seconds of the song. If you don't put in a start or and the whole song is played. You get you times from your sequencer.

This allows for a short show keeping all the songs without resequencing them. May need to add a little fade in and out for better sound and I haven't thought about handling video.

IMHO

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2012, »
Thats a cool idea.  It doesn't apply to me, since I already sequence shortened versions to begin with.  For me, I'd have almost nothing I could cut out in the middle and have it sound good.   I know others sequences a lot longer stuff with some breaks in the music which would allow this.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, »
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful feedback! There are lots of good ideas here that I will try to incorporate. I am going to make as many changes as I can with current LOR and D-Light support and release that (version 2012b, release date tbd). Then I will start with the changes to the scheduler such that it runs with xLights xseq format support only (version 2012c and later).

I have already incorporated the following changes (they will be part of 2012b):

1) Merged xTester into xScheduler so that you can run tests without having to stop the schedule.
2) Calendar based scheduler (instead of weekday based) - so you can schedule special run times for Christmas Eve, run different shows on alternating days, etc.
3) Some user interface enhancements, as requested.
4) E1.31 bug fix, where some DIYC E1.31 projects were not running with xLights.

More to come!

Matt

Matt Brown

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, »
Awesome news! Thanks for all of your hard work Matt.  <res. I look forward to giving it a run!  <pop..

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, »
Hi Matt

Looks great.

I did notice a difference using 2011e and 2012a when sending a pattern or test to the etherdongle and ss nodes. With 2011e it was solid and when using the same pattern xseq file it would flash with 2012a.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, »
Thanks Matt ... sounds great !!!

Scott

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, »
Then I will start with the changes to the scheduler such that it runs with xLights xseq format support only (version 2012c and later).

Matt:

Thanks for all your hard work.

If the scheduler will only run the xseq format in the future, can I ask that you provide the ability to convert Vixen 2.5.x version sequences to xseq? Though one can convert 2.5 sequences into 2.1 sequences, it is a complex process that requires renaming of directories and wouldn't be easy in a production environment.

Again, thanks.

\dmc

Offline LightUpMA

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, »

-----
---
11) Create a program to display, and possibly make simple modifications to, an xLights sequence file.

----> yes! Esp if you are going to require that ppl convert lor and vixen to xlights.  In addition, I like the visualization in the sequencer.  I can run it in lor or vixen, but if forced to convert I now have to make any/ all changes in another prog and reconvert.  Seems like a natural progression down the road.

-------

4) Create an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch version of the Tester program. This would be E1.31 ONLY - so only compatible with the Etherdongle,  ECG devices, and some of the projects on DIYC.

--> I would love an ipad / iphone app

---
3) Merge the Scheduler and Tester programs so that you can run tests while your show is waiting to run (currently you have to exit the scheduler to run tests).

--> This seems like a good idea

---

7) Since LOR controllers, and now D-Light controllers, speak DMX, I would like to remove support for the LOR and D-Light protocols. People with these controllers would have to run them in DMX mode. Even though people might bemoan the lack of flexibility, I think they will really like the improved responsiveness (i.e. no lag) in their shows. Secondly, if we take this step, then I can simplify the scheduler to only play xLights sequence files. LOR and Vixen sequences would need to be run through the xLights converter. This would make the xLights coding much simpler (I vote for this one  :) )

--> In theory, I like the idea of simplification and speed.  BUT, I can imagine there will be some conversion issues that will plague many users.  Sounds like it may create a headache but for speed maybe its necessary.

-----

10) Display real channel names in the Tester, instead of "Channel 123".

--> Definitely