Author Topic: Noobie Needing clarification  (Read 6355 times)

Offline AlanS

Noobie Needing clarification
« on: January 11, 2012, »
Hello,

Okay here it goes. I'm a noob to all this blinky, flashy stuff. I have been reading allot of postings but some things are a bit fuzzy still. I just want to make sure I have this right.

1 Computer - going to be running Vixen this year unless someone tell convinces me that LSP will save me hundreds of hours. if I pony up to get it.

2- Here's the fuzzy part. From the computer USB I will need a "Dongle". I get that so far. But can I use a "Pixelnet EtherDongle" instead of a Dongle? or must i have a Dongle regardless?

3. From the Dongle I have 3 choices.
   a. I can go with Cat5 and plug in from the Dongle to the first Lynx Express and then 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc.
   b. I can go with wireless where I would need one (1) Wireless(TX/RX) and a Express Receiver (EX/RX) for each of the LE I have.
   c. A combo of both Wired and wireless.

4. For the controllers this year I think I will just be using the LE. As I understand the Transformer is not available for the SSR4. So even though I may have wanted to go with the Lifestyle and SSR4 or just a couple SSR4-DMX. That is not a option at this point due to the transformer part.

5. For the lights I am using a mix of incans and LEDs. I guess the question here is how many watts would I be able to put on a LE Channel safely? I know that each string is different. The largest incan string I have is a set of 300 Blue high density icicles. The box says not to connect more then 2 strings together 2 set=210 watts. Is this a safe amount for 1 channel. if yes would it still be safe to run this much power on 8 channels of the same LE?

6. For the extention cords will be using spt2 with vampires.

I guess right now while waiting for the next coop for LE's, Dongle or EtherDongle. I should be playing with Vixen learning and trying to build a sequence...I know that make the most sense but until I build a LE and dongle that work It seems like a futile task.

Anyway, if someone could clear some of the fog for me.

Thank you

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Noobie Needing clarification
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, »
Welcome to DLA!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1 Computer - going to be running Vixen this year unless someone tell convinces me that LSP will save me hundreds of hours. if I pony up to get it.
If you plan to do lots of RGB pixels, you might find LSP2 a better choice.  LSP2 is better suited for RGB with transitions and other capabilities.  Also, making a change later to new tool will be harder once you've been 'polluted' with another.  If you start with LOR, Vixen or LSP and decide to change you need to unlearn a lot and starting with your long-term tool will suit you better.

2- Here's the fuzzy part. From the computer USB I will need a "Dongle". I get that so far. But can I use a "Pixelnet EtherDongle" instead of a Dongle? or must i have a Dongle regardless?
Either/or.  even both.  EtherDongle will be the direction that many people will take.  For a small incremental amount over USB you will get support for many more channels. 
5. For the lights I am using a mix of incans and LEDs. I guess the question here is how many watts would I be able to put on a LE Channel safely? I know that each string is different. The largest incan string I have is a set of 300 Blue high density icicles. The box says not to connect more then 2 strings together 2 set=210 watts. Is this a safe amount for 1 channel. if yes would it still be safe to run this much power on 8 channels of the same LE?
Amp ratings are in the wiki, but I thought it was 4amps/channel for the LE.  210 watts/120v = 1.75amps.  So you could easier double that to 4 strings on that channel and stay below 4.  8 channels on one side -- and connected to one 15amp circuit will allow you to have 8 x 1.75 amp loads and be under that rating... whether using 8 channels of 1.75 or 4 channels of 3.5 amps.

Sounds fine.

I guess right now while waiting for the next coop for LE's, Dongle or EtherDongle. I should be playing with Vixen learning and trying to build a sequence...I know that make the most sense but until I build a LE and dongle that work It seems like a futile task.

Thank you

No problem.

Steve (from Austin)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, »
4. For the controllers this year I think I will just be using the LE. As I understand the Transformer is not available for the SSR4. So even though I may have wanted to go with the Lifestyle and SSR4 or just a couple SSR4-DMX. That is not a option at this point due to the transformer part.

Just a clarification -- I believe RJ is well aware of both the need for splitters and SSR4-w/DMX devices and unless I'm mistaken, he is redesigning those devices to use transformers that are not EOL.

Which isn't to say that they won't need to go through full alpha and beta testing and that for the foreseeable future there won't be SSR4-w/DMX or splitters. But I would suspect that by midyear this will be a problem long forgotten.

\dmc

Offline AlanS

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, »

Just a clarification -- I believe RJ is well aware of both the need for splitters and SSR4-w/DMX devices and unless I'm mistaken, he is redesigning those devices to use transformers that are not EOL.

Which isn't to say that they won't need to go through full alpha and beta testing and that for the foreseeable future there won't be SSR4-w/DMX or splitters. But I would suspect that by midyear this will be a problem long forgotten.

\dmc

Good to know thanks for the info. I don't know how long it take to redesign stuff.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, by AlanS »

Offline rm357

Noobie Needing clarification
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, »
Just to make sure...

Power cable(s) to the LE needs to be able to handle the load. 15 amps needs 12 gauge wire. If you run split power and need 15 amps on both halves, you will need 2 dedicated circuits from the breaker box to supply power.

Having said that, my 12 foot, 2 express, 32 string mega tree with a 4 channel DMX ssr4 star was less than 6 amps total draw in 2010. I had one 12 gauge extension cord powering the whole thing.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline fireandiceman

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, »
Another noobie needing clarification. Same questions and appreciate the answers. On the soft ware question, I was thinking of going with the free vixen to start to keep initial costs down until I felt more comfortable in this medium but sounds like thats maybe a waste of time in the long run. I was able to attend the academy and tried to go to as many software classes as possible to get an overview. Is it better to go ahead and make a choice now?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, »
IMO...  (I've heard this and experienced the same)

The software is different enough that you must unlearn one to be effective in the other.
If you believe a certain package will carry you far into the future as you go into large-scale RGB pixels -- then point yourself in that direction.

If your needs are more modest for years to come, base your decision on that.

Steve
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline gsxrgirl7

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, »
I would say so.  You can go to light show pro and Light o Rama websites and see demos and turorials of the software.  They both even have demo versions that you can download and try out for yourself if you want to play with them.  You will have additional add on pieces to help you with other things that you can use with those tools as well.  But those are just a couple, some of the two main ones.  But yes I would take a look at what's out there, view some tutorials, download any demo versions they may have and play with each of them a little to determine which one suits you the best.  Then make your informed purchase.
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"
Helen Keller

Offline gsxrgirl7

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, »
But yes Steve is correct, you don't want to get stuck having learned one software program when it is limited in what it can do when you will want to expand down the road.  If you are still in the beginning stages, I would like they do recommend finding a more advanced software that will benefit you and begin playing with it. 
Helen Keller

Offline fireandiceman

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, »
Thanks for the advice. Probably going to go LSP or LOR. One more question. I saw some of the tutorials on the Nutcracker and wanted to take a class at the academy but the one I worked into my schedule was cancled. Is that a sequencing program also or can it work with LSP or LOR. I will want to add RGB in the future and was impressed with the effects you could utilize.

Offline gsxrgirl7

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, »
I believe you can use it with either or.  It allows you to create effects for a smart string mega tree and you can cut/copy paste the info into your sequencer wherever you want that effect.  Sean is also going to be doing some additional things to Nutcracker as well and those should be in the system by late summer.  There will be additional features.  So I think you will be safe going either way! 
Helen Keller

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, »
Thanks for the advice. Probably going to go LSP or LOR. One more question. I saw some of the tutorials on the Nutcracker and wanted to take a class at the academy but the one I worked into my schedule was cancled. Is that a sequencing program also or can it work with LSP or LOR. I will want to add RGB in the future and was impressed with the effects you could utilize.

I would not be so quick to write off Vixen.  If all you are going to use this yearis a few LE's, then Vixen is the BEST way to go.  It is rock solid for the most part and can easily let you sequence with lower channel counts.  It is also very simple to use which removs one headache from beginning sequencing, learning complicated software.  The fact that it is also FREE is also a big plus in the beginning as it allows you to spend the money on lights and controllers and if you decide the hobby is not for you, there is no money lost there.  If LSP and LOR S3 were $50 or even $100 pograms then I would agree and say to possibly go that way but they are not so why spend the money until you need it.  Vixen 3 is also on the horizon and seems to have all of and possibly more features and abilities of LSP and S3 with the big price of $0.  It is also being developed as open source so if the main developer calls it quits, the product will remain alive as long as there is interest in it.  The same cannot be said currently for the other two.

As for Nutcracker, it is not currently a sequencer.  It is a RGB effects generator and can do some amazing things.  Once you create them you cut what it created and paste it into your existing sequence.  It currently only creates native LOR and Vixen files so if you are using LSP, you cannot use Nutcracker unless you save your sequences as one of those file types.  Nutcracker is in rapid development and is really worth looking at. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, »
I strongly second tbone's comments.

It looks like nutcracker may become a sequencer as well in the not too distant future (can't wait for that!). It just won't be grid based...

...but go with your comfort level - no wrong answers here!
Leesburg, FL

Offline gsxrgirl7

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, »
Exactly, just go with whatever you feel comfortable with.  As mentioned earlier, there are work arounds for pretty much whatever sequencer you decide to use. 
Helen Keller

Offline tbone321

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, »
Hello,

Okay here it goes. I'm a noob to all this blinky, flashy stuff. I have been reading allot of postings but some things are a bit fuzzy still. I just want to make sure I have this right.

Unless you are planning on jumping in big time with RGB and huge channel counts, neither LSP or S3 will save you any reaL time but will cost you real money.  They may actually cost you more time due to the learning curve.  I would wait until your sequences exceed the real abilities of Vixen 2.X and then look to see what is available at that time to make your decision.

It depends on your need and finances.  The Etherdongle has a huge channel count and the ability to be turned into a conductor.  The conductor can store and run you show without the need for the computer but it does come at a cost.  That is the way that I would go but the USB dongle works just fine and can be configured to output either DMX or Pixelnet. 

3. From the Dongle I have 3 choices.
   a. I can go with Cat5 and plug in from the Dongle to the first Lynx Express and then 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc.
   b. I can go with wireless where I would need one (1) Wireless(TX/RX) and a Express Receiver (EX/RX) for each of the LE I have.
   c. A combo of both Wired and wireless.

Either one will work just fine.  The express can have a daughter board that works as a receiver and you could daiseychain from that, every LE can also have it's own daugher board requiring no wiring at all, you could use a TX/RX unit at the front of the string and connect the chain to it or everything can be hard wired.  The transmitters work on one of three channls so you can have up to 3 trasnmitters in the yard as long as they are on different frequencies and nothing is intefering with any of them.  There really are almost countless possibilities here.

That issue has already been corrected and there just was a coop for the new SSR4 and splitter.  Did you mean Freestyle?  Unless you have a need for multiple small controllers I would just use some LE's which have a lower cost per channel and more abilities. 

The LE is good for up to 4 amps per channel but there is a limit on the total current the unit can handle, depending on its configuration.   If it is configured with a single input plug, then the limit is around 15A.  If you have dual inputs AND each input is connected to a different circuit, then it is 15A per side. 

Thank you

There are no coops for the USB dongle.  Just buy one from the store and order the parts from Mouser.  If you want an EtherDongle, then you would need to wait for a coop.  Vixen has a preview that allows you to import a picture of your house and then add your lights.  With that, there is no reason that you couldn't create your actual complete sequences without a single controller or light and that's what I would start doing now. 

There is a lot here and perhaps it might be better to arange a session in either the cat room or teamspeak to talk about this and ask questions.  There are a lot of people in here including myself that would be happy to get on line and discuss some of these issues.  All that is needed is to set up a time.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving