Author Topic: Would this work?  (Read 7530 times)

Offline thestig

Would this work?
« on: January 12, 2012, »
I am planning on ordering multiple Aether II's when the coop begins and have been looking into a transformer. I really like the idea of being able to plug the aether right into a normal 120ac socket. (without having to wire them all to the normal 200 watt 12vac transformer on the wiki). Could i just mount these transformers to the back of each of the aethers instead?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Would this work?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, »
nice price!

I think the wattage on the Aether2 was 45W.
So, it looks like it should work.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline thestig

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, »
One more question, does the Aeither II have an option to just use the white led as a shop light led without having a dmx signal?

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, »
There is a jumper block that can be connected to a switch for this very purpose.  I haven't tried it though.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, »
Been meaning to post this and like everything else, never got around to it, but I used one of those for my Aether in my show this year.  It seemed to work great.  I had some weird issues with my Aether (random colors flashing while the show was off [think disco here] among others), but I don't know that I can contribute that to the power supply.  Most of the time it worked great and I think there may have been something else going on or I may have had the terminate switch in the wrong position, etc.

I know one of my reservations about the new Aether was having to spend another $40+ for a power supply after the cost of the light itself.  Suddenly it was not economical for me, but these transformers made it so again.  I may even see about using these and having an option for them in the next coop.

Hope that helps,
-Keith

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, »
I may even see about using these and having an option for them in the next coop.

That sounds great! 

Any idea when the coop will be started?

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, »
Not 100% sure.  Suspect that it will be first quarter or early 2nd.  I know RJ is working his way down the list of desired coops.  I believe this is on the list, just below some others.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, »
i guess you'd have to set that transformer to run at night (it has a timer).

also, the aetherII could be run as a seperate "worklight" but you still have to power it by a landscaping transformer. so it wouldn't be as convenient.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline thestig

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, »
These transformers are like any other landscape transformer. They have a manual overide for on and off as well as the timer of staying on for 4-6-8hrs after dark. The idea behind these is that you could also use this as a worklight as its a self contained unit (the Transformer is connected directly to the light) and the light plugs into any normal 120VAC socket through this transformer.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, »
i know, but just saying, it wouldnt be as convenient as a normal worklight, that you can carry, plug in, and your ready...

this would have an oversized version of a wall wart to power it as a work light, and not something self contained in the device

i use a worklight, but i'd buy a seperate light to use as the case for the aetherII as i'd still want to keep my worklight since it would be more convenient for me.

Offline thestig

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, »
ok, gotcha. I probably won't use it for that, but i like the option. I already have some nice outdoor outlets around my house that will be nice to plug into. I am also going to use the rx wireless on them so that I can keep the cords to a minimum. I can see your point though. at 7 dollars a piece shipped these just happen to work for what i want and was wanting to let other people know their options.

Offline meman

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, »
These look awesome...thanks for the tip!

Mike E.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, »
at 7 dollars a piece shipped these just happen to work for what i want and was wanting to let other people know their options.

I am seeing these at $11.12 shipped?  Shipping prices don't really get better with quantity either.  Still a good deal though. 

Originally I was kinda spooked by the thought of using 12VAC and looked for solutions like this but I found a deal on a larger tranny.  Only part I didn't anticipate was making sure the tranny was mounted vertically 18" off ground.  With that in mind, I would prefer to use just one feeding multiple aethers instead of one per aether.  Also, I just used regular AC cords labeled 12V for connecting the aethers and tranny. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, »
What I'd really like to do, is to leverage cheap power strips and connectors -- but run 12vac in the yard.  Then I could use left-over extension cords, splitters, etc. s to carry the 12v power from the transformer to the aethers. 

But it seems that I'd just create a huge problem for myself or my family in allowing just the possibility of having 12v plugged into a 120v system, or a 120v plugged into 12v.

Maybe  >:D  there is a way to alter the system...  like using 3-prong (grounded) wiring...  but cut off the neutral connector on the plugs, and pour glue into the matching hole in the receptacles.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, »
What I'd really like to do, is to leverage cheap power strips and connectors -- but run 12vac in the yard.  Then I could use left-over extension cords, splitters, etc. s to carry the 12v power from the transformer to the aethers. 

But it seems that I'd just create a huge problem for myself or my family in allowing just the possibility of having 12v plugged into a 120v system, or a 120v plugged into 12v.

Maybe  >:D  there is a way to alter the system...  like using 3-prong (grounded) wiring...  but cut off the neutral connector on the plugs, and pour glue into the matching hole in the receptacles.
Steve, you could get connectors from Ray, but with a different pinout (like 2 pin, or 4 pin connectors instead of thr 3 pin used for smart strings.