Author Topic: Would this work?  (Read 7527 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Would this work?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What I'd really like to do, is to leverage cheap power strips and connectors -- but run 12vac in the yard.  Then I could use left-over extension cords, splitters, etc. s to carry the 12v power from the transformer to the aethers. 

But it seems that I'd just create a huge problem for myself or my family in allowing just the possibility of having 12v plugged into a 120v system, or a 120v plugged into 12v.

Maybe  >:D  there is a way to alter the system...  like using 3-prong (grounded) wiring...  but cut off the neutral connector on the plugs, and pour glue into the matching hole in the receptacles.
Steve, you could get connectors from Ray, but with a different pinout (like 2 pin, or 4 pin connectors instead of thr 3 pin used for smart strings.
That would defeat my 'cheap' time-saving intent.  I'd have to solder and heat shrink...  and I'd need to find a 1-multi solution (or add more connectors with caps) to be able to daisy-chain...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, »
this year, i placed all of my wire junctions inside unused TA200 enclosures. stuck the wires in, used wire nuts, and electrical tape. in my case it helped speed up things, ( iwas using spt1, and spt2 wire ran out to the devices, instead of using extension cords)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline djcollin

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, »
Has anyone found another transformer for cheap? The first link posted seems to be out of stock.

Or would this work?

Offline keitha43

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, »
How are other people powering their units since this part is unavailable? Using 1 large capacity landscape transformer and hooking up multiple runs parallel to the various floodlights? I guess I could attach a short 1 foot or so piece soldered to the floodlight and then use wirenuts to attach to the cables and then wrapped in electrical tape. I would need something removable as my run lengths would be different for Halloween and Christmas. It would be so much easier if someone found a replacement for the transformer listed in this thread.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, »
Is there anything wrong with the model mentioned by djcolin above?

I noticed it only comes with 2 input and output leads, but I have a ton of extra male plugs I could attach to complete these.

There is also no mention of whether they are waterproof or not, but it does mention in the production description as being excellent for lighting use.

I'm not opposed to using a larger transformer as RJ probably intended, but my display is so widely dispersed that I don't think I can take advantage of just one transformer, since I need power in at least 3 different locations ... and even some of those are fairly far apart.

Either way, I have extension cords feeding controllers everywhere, so I could run these standalone units just about as easily and they are cheap.  I almost feel putting these in a bag or small container and just hooking them up local to each Aether might be the most economical for me.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, »
is there a guide for how many watts in the power supply per aether ii?

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, »
got it, 40 watts in the power supply per aether ii

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, »
I had heard 45 or 48 watts each ... probably on a post hear somewhere
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, »
Some of those AC Switching Power supplies are only for use with halogen/incandescent lighting like you’d find in a retail display case.   Many of them produce a non-sinusoidal waveform, i.e. square-ish wave and can be really electrically noisy, not to mention as poorly regulated as a Missouri politician.

Buyer beware!

:) joe

(The fellow on live chat said they didn't have any additional documentation.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, by JoeFromOzarks »
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline thestig

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, »
I wanted to let you guys know that my aether II is having issues with the small transformer that I listed above. It is turning itself on when I leave it plugged in without any data being sent. I assume this is do to a cheap power supply. I believe lonewolf had the same issue with the power supply. I could be wrong though and I havn't built any more aethers to see if the power supply is the problem for sure.

Grant

Offline djcollin

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, »
Grant, my Aethers' light up as well when i just plug them in, that is until I plug DMX into them, then they work as advertised. Doesn't seem to make any difference which power supply they're being fed from.

I did find a smaller power supply for anyone who simply wants each Aether to be able to plug into the wall right next to their destination. It's a little bit noisy, even when I enclosed it in the worklight case, but it doesn't flicker or have problems like some of the ones that look like this but are specifically made for halogen lights.

This one works well (minus the noise) but takes a while to ship from Hong Kong.

Good Luck, and Thank You RJ, Keith, and everyone else here.