Author Topic: RGB strip connectors question  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Heinekenator

RGB strip connectors question
« on: January 17, 2012, »
Hello.

I am looking to break the 5m dumb RGB strips into 2 or 3 segments each, but am concerned about soldering onto the tiny contacts and about the waterproofing. Has anyone used a connector such as the one linked below, or have any other recommendations for something similar?

Thank you.

-Greg

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: RGB strip connectors question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, »
you can get the connectors at any hardware store.  i believe they are the receptacles for 1/4" spade plugs
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, »
I ordered these on EBay. They came directly from China.
They come with a clip on each end of the conductors. I plan to cut some of them in half and then connect my own conductors to them wires.

Soldering was not successful. Worked in the shop but broke while putting in place.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

They say "non-waterproof" but you can peel off enough of the waterproof layer to make a connection.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, by JonB256 »

Offline Heinekenator

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, »
I realize now that I mentioned a link but never posted it. That was the item on ebay that I was questioning. Thanks!

Offline rrawlings

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, »
could someone who has bought the "dumb string" flex strips how long the segments they can be broken into are?  I would like to use them to ligh items like a coro flake or star.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, »
could someone who has bought the "dumb string" flex strips how long the segments they can be broken into are?  I would like to use them to ligh items like a coro flake or star.
I don't know if the dumb strips I purchased will be the same for you.

I purchased these:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

From my picture you can see that the distance between cut-points (the coppoer connector) is 3-15/16" and the width is 0-7/16"

The pins on the start of the strip can be made out.  Common is 12V+.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rrawlings

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, »
Awesome, thank you

Offline Heinekenator

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, »
Hi Steve.

That strip is one of the ones I've been considering purchasing. How is the strip build quality itself?

-Greg

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, »
I've not attached it to anything yet (beyond a 12v power supply) so I don't know how well it will hold up to the sun and weather.
It seems just as good, maybe better than the CCRs from LOR.  Its more narrow than a CCR and the adhesive backing will not be much to work with because of the smaller width, but the plastic/epoxy/?? that seals it seems more solid than the CCR.

I think its pretty good for the price despite being dumb.  Compare the $24/string to the $249/CCR+controller.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline thestig

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, »
Steve,

Do you know what kind of current they are drawing:? I am interested in those as well. They are dirt cheap. I just need to find a way to run them (controller/PSU). What do you plan on running them with?

Offline rfallatt

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, »
Im looking at these also.
I plan on dividing them up into 1m segments and running them off a Ren48lsd
I also found that if you wanted to run the whole strip you might be able to do so by using the Ren48lsd and a DCSSR.
Man it took me like a week to find that info out and it took me two sentences to summarize it (Now Im depressed!)

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, »
Strips that use the 5050 RGB LEDs are fairly easy to calculate.

They put 3 5050's in series with a resistor to work at 12volts. Like most LEDs, the 5050s use 20 milliamps. So for every cut-able segment in the strip, they will need 20 milliamps per color, so 60 milliamps if using White (all colors).

So, if you are using 20 segments, that is a max current of 20 x 60 or 1200 milliamps (1.2 amps). I mention the total because the COMMON wire used must be able to handle the TOTAL current, not just R or G or B.

So, for 12V strips, count your cut-able segments, multiply by 60, then move the decimal back 3 places. That is the amps needed.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, »
Steve,

Do you know what kind of current they are drawing:? I am interested in those as well. They are dirt cheap. I just need to find a way to run them (controller/PSU). What do you plan on running them with?
Earlier I connected a strip to a test bench power supply that allowed me to control the voltage and see the amps.  I measured the different colors with 12.0V applied each time:

blue: = 0.75 amps
red = 0.84
green = 0.82
r+g+b = 2.02

24 watts (12x2.02)

I plan to use the DMX controllers available from Harrison (cheapdmx.com) David (holidaycoro.com) or Ray Wu.

With the controller rating of 144 watts and using only 80% of the rating... you could run almost 5 of these 5 meter strips on a single controller.

or... looking at the rated 2amps per channel you could get \2 strips on a single controller.

I don't understand the discrepancy of 144watts reported for the controller vs 2amps per channel... it seems it should be (3channels X 2amps X 12v = 72watts)

Anyway... that's what I have.

Offline Slite

• Blinky Blinky Lights
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, »
When I try to follow that link to the strip on ebay, all I get is a "sign in" page?
Blinky Blinky Lights!

Offline Heinekenator

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, »
Hello.

Is it possible to run a strip like this via cat5 from something like an MR16? Or better yet can 5 of them be run from a single controller? What kind of distance can the cat5  runs be between the controller and strip? What about if the strip was split in half?

Thank you kindly in advance from a total beginner.