Author Topic: Getting started, a couple of device and wiring questions  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Heinekenator

Hello.

I'm completely new here, and just ordered the parts for my first DIY component (Lynx USB DMX dongle) and am VERY excited! I had a couple of questions regarding the MR16, DMX and dumb RGB strips.

I'm looking to outline my roofline with some dumb RGB strips (12v common+), with each 5m strip cut in half and put on it's own "channel" (3 channels). Altogether, it will probably be around 24 total half-strips, for a total of 72 channels. I originally planned to build a number of MR16 devices for this, but that would mean wiring each and every strip back to a central location where the controllers were. Is there a better way to do it, possibly utilizing those 3-channel DMX controllers from HolidayCoro or the 4-channel DMX SSR from here and daisy-chaining them together? If I did go that route, is the first device plugged into the DMX dongle, or some other device? And, how is power injected in that scenario?

One other quick question about wiring. Is CAT5 the preferred wire of choice? I think I've read elsewhere that 4 or 6 core security wire was also being used.  Are store-bought CAT5 cables (from somewhere like monoprice) waterproof and UV-resistant enough to be used year-round in southern NY?

Thank you in advance.

-Greg

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
I am currently running BigClive RGB Floodlights off of an MR16 with CAT5 as my wire of choice between my components.  I am also running 5050 RGB flexstrips off of the 3 Channel DMX controllers.  Here are some thoughts:
1.)  Watch your amperage.  I believe that you can run 1 amp on Cat5.  Others smarter than me on this forum can confirm this.
2.)  Used Stranded wire for your connections!  Solid just breaks too easy!
3.)  Monoprice.com is usually the place to buy your pre-made Cat5 cables for a great price.

I like the ease of setup of being able to string Cat5 from my controller to my floods and be done.  It is quick, easy, works and the cables are small.  I also like the even dimming of the MR16 board, something that can change depending on the 3Channel controller you buy.
I also like the ease of wiring from the MR16.  You can take your orange pair and call them red, your blue pair to blue, your green pair to green and your brown pair for common positive!  When you are power injecting to the DMX controllers your cabling gets slightly more complicated, not much, but some!
I like having 1 power supply vs. several around the yard.  Just saves on 110V wiring!

I actually took my MR16 and a PC power supply and put them in a cheap plastic toolbox that I had laying around.  It was easy to add some PVC fittings to the box for cable ingress/egress and ventilation.  The whole setup sat outside powered up from the day before Thanksgiving until January 7th!  No problems.

Now for the 3 Channel DMX controllers.  Those have a place and work well, but they are different!  You can use 1 1/4 thing wall (Schedule 120) pvc for housings, you can mount them closer to the item, but you still have close to the same amount of cable in most cases.  If you are going to pursue this route, please go to Holidaycoro.com and look at RGB video's that David has posted over there.  He explains the controller differences, the RGB packaging differences, cabling, etc.  Great Reference!!!
Also, there is a thread elsewhere on this page that discusses an EBAY item which is a clamp on connector for the flex strips!  Regardless of how you go with the controller, If you are using the flex strips, I highly suggest looking that these!!!  My biggest problem in using the flexstrips was soldering wire to them and not having any breakage!  I think these connectors would have helped immensely!

Good luck, have fun, and create something unique!!!

Oh, and by the way!  I wouldn't rule out R.J.'s Smart String controllers on flex strips either! You can get more interesting effects using these and they unite the best of all worlds!  Cat5, small local controllers, centralized power, and pixel control!

Mike.
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline Heinekenator

Thanks for the information Mike. I hadnt looked at the smart strings at all until you mentioned it, and they are definitely intriguing!

If I opted to go the MR16 route using dumb strips and standard cat5, whats the recommended max distance from the controller to each strip?

Lastly, is there any info on a coop for thd MR16?

Thank you.

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
For coop's, look under that section.  Based on the survey, it looks like expresses, Smartstrings and etherdongles are the coops that will happen first.

If you are very anxious, check the section on Available PCB's, if any are listed you can PM R.J. and have him send you the price for one.  Then go to mouser for parts and get to work!

As far as distances from the controller to the units, it depends a lot on amperage.  If memory serves, Cat5 is rated to 1amp at 100feet.  My floods only pull a max of 360Ma so I have no issue running them 100 feet or more.

Hope this helps!

Mike.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, by mmciver »
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline Heinekenator

Hello.

Thanks for the help so far. I think I've narrowed down what I'm looking to do. I plan to use the strip listed below, cut in half, to do the outline.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'll end up needing about 20 half strips for the complete outline. It would seem as if, at least for someone just getting started, that four MR16s would be the simplest and most cost effective method of doing this. In this scenario, what power supply would be recommended, and is it possible to do these wiring runs with cat5? I'm estimating that the longest cat5 runs would be around 75 feet.

As always, thanks.

-Greg

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Also, there is a thread elsewhere on this page that discusses an EBAY item which is a clamp on connector for the flex strips!
Can you locate that thread?  I've not yet found it.

Thx!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Heinekenator

Hi Steve.

Here is the thread:

And here is a link to two ebay items I found:

Greg