Author Topic: @ RJ  (Read 3013 times)

Offline angus40

@ RJ
« on: January 19, 2012, »
Some of the pms I have received have been down right rude because they did not get into a coop!

I hope you have an ip ban key  available ,when u get these types of private messages.

Cheers and thanks

Offline Slite

• Blinky Blinky Lights
Re: @ RJ
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, »
What would an IP ban help? All that would accomplish is that the person in question gets even more "pissed off" and starta complaining about what a crappy person RJ is and how lousy DLA is run and yadda yadda yadda on all the other blinky stuff forums out there.

Do we want that? No, what we want is exactly what RKJ did, in a constructive way explaining WHAT a coop is, how it works and WHY it is often limited to a set amount of kits.

What SHOULD be done if it is possible is that BEFORE new member can post, they SHOULD be required to read, and take a bloody test on how coop's work on DLA to show that they are fully aware of how, when and why!
Blinky Blinky Lights!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rimist

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, »
It's a good idea to add a mandatory read about co-ops. As far as the rude pm messages go, I would add a statement to the beginning of future co-ops that rude pm's will be posted.... I believe there are enough thankful people on here that they will chastise the offender for you.
Also, ip bans are ineffective because you could easily ban a company for an individual's actions

-Rimist
- Rimist

Offline angus40

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, »
I think stating 1 thing in the forum-public area is 1 thing, but if your sending a rude or
nasty private message to some on this site ,should be ip ban .( doesnt have to be permanent).

Any 1 with an eye & an A** would know that there is no entitlement on a public forum.

Offline typoagain

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, »
It's a good idea to add a mandatory read about co-ops. As far as the rude pm messages go, I would add a statement to the beginning of future co-ops that rude pm's will be posted....

<la..    <la..      <la..     

I am sorry! But after the day I had at work, this actually sounds fun to do. Now if I could just legally post videos of my patients....
One of the new guys in Odessa TX.

sjb

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, »
With being new to this forum, I can not believe people have the mind thought to send rude PM's to anyone. I have been very proud and thankful for all of the advise from members and also all the information I have read.

It states that this forum is for people wanting to get into the HOBBY, it is not a business  and I for 1 would bet that the ones that send rude PM's would never use their own free time to do the job that the COOP managers do, to assist people getting into this hobby.

RJ thank you for everything you have done and also all of the other members that are here to help.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, »
Pretty sure the main reason we're dealing with this is the new members are not reading anything...  Rules are clear this is not a democracy and mods have right to ban.  I am confident that RJ and the bright bunch here will figure a way preserve the peace.   <res.

On a lighter note, it's kinda funny seeing stuff like newbies post a request in a closed coop 2 years old  ;D

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, »
One thing we mightaoughtamention is that being part of DLA and COOPs requires a tad of luck and a lot of patience.  COOPs run on COOP managers' time.  The demand for some of these COOPs (like the LynxEX COOP we just had) is high and the number of items in a COOP is low.  However, if there is enough demand, there will always be another COOP planned (just not on the rude PMers time schedule).  We need these guys to channel some zen-like calmness and relax, this is supposed to be a fun enjoyable (and addicting) hobby.

I didn't even get into the COOP, so I will just wait for the next one.  Trust me, there will always be 'another one'.

------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, »
I agree that IP bans are not a good idea.  If I connect through work, my IP comes from my work's shared network and blocking me would block maybe 5,000 other potential visitors to the site.

Also not sure that posting PMs are a good idea.  PMs should remain private in my ACLU-like way of thinking.  If someone sends me a rude message I may instantly delete all future messages from them without bothering to read them in the future.  Posting private messages violates a certain trust, and it opens the door to other boorish behavior.   Would RJ alone be able to post PMs to the public?  Can I post some poorly-considered messages sent to me?

I'd love to legislate kindness and courtesy, but it seems to me that short of disabling accounts or revoking their right to post -- the best idea is to call out their public rudeness with a public response from the community.  It should be everyone's responsibility to elevate the discussion, not just RJ.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Ozmin

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, »
Steve - I could have said it any better.  I also connect thru work and banning an IP would definately block some other people I work with.  Heck - I missed the 1/1/2012 LE coop.  I was a bit mad, but I knew there would be others.  Then RJ opened up the store and I was able to get a few LE boards w/ the heat sinks (thank you RJ and anyone else who helped make this happen!!).

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, »
Last thing anyone wants is one more set of suggestions... but I can't help myself.  Really... I can't!  :)

Open up coop with instructions like this:

"Everyone interested in signing up for this coop should respond to this thread with the number of units you want. (Or use the store, however it is done...)  The Coop registration will close in one week.  There is no doubt that interest may exceed the ability to answer all requests.  To provide fairness, selection will be based on the first letter of your user name.  Randomly letters of the alphabet will be generated... and until all slots are filled, users will be drawn from the list based on their user name.

For example:  when registration closes, the letters  R-U-J-H-B-F-Z-I-L- .... are drawn.  Users starting with 'R' (Rog, richola, ripsnortin, ...) are selected.  Then users with 'U' (umberto, umbrellahead, ...) Until all slots are filled."

...this is just a way for people to feel that there is some fairness. 

There is another benefit.  When we fill up a coop we don't really get an idea of how many people were interested and didn't even get their names added.  Keeping the registration open for a week might tell you that there is a desire by 307 users to have 1456 units.  If you only satisfy 300 of those units, you know that there is pent up demand for another 1156 that could be acted up by another coop manager.

I'm not even going to value my suggestion at '2 cents'.  Let's call it 1.32 cents. :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, »
Then RJ opened up the store and I was able to get a few LE boards w/ the heat sinks (thank you RJ and anyone else who helped make this happen!!).
I believe the store will relieve a HUGE amount of pressure on everyone.  If there was a way to help fulfill store orders for PCBs I'd gladly sign up!!

Offline rimist

Re: Re: @ RJ
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, »
Also not sure that posting PMs are a good idea.  PMs should remain private in my ACLU-like way of thinking.  If someone sends me a rude message I may instantly delete all future messages from them without bothering to read them in the future.  Posting private messages violates a certain trust, and it opens the door to other boorish behavior.
I did specify that a warning be issued in the beginning of the co-op notice, thereby notifying the people sending pm's that their message might be posted. That being said, rude is a subjective term, so perhaps the idea isn't a good one after all.

-Rimist
- Rimist

Offline rimist

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, »
After I finish reading up on the international shipping issues for the store, I plan on working with RJ on the co-op aspect if needed.

-Rimist
- Rimist

Offline angus40

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, »
Glad that I posted this thread , many of you have added your opinions here which shows the character of dla's membership.

The idea I had was to draw attention to RJ's statement , I could feel his frustration by reading it.

My hope is that this thread is read by all,causing him/her to think before  sending any pm's .

Thankyou all
Richard