Author Topic: 2nd LE COOP!!!!  (Read 1296 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
2nd LE COOP!!!!
« on: January 19, 2012, »
First I would like to THANK Smartcontrols for taking on this tremendous task. It is a very large undertaking to be a COOP manager. And for everyone's information NO I did not get in on the COOP. It was started and closed long before I ever knew about it. That should be an indication of how DLA has grown. We should ALL be appreciative of what RJ, his family and ALL of the coop managers sacrifice so that we can have "blinky flashy". If you don't like the way things are done here there are other places that you can go! I have never stepped up and run a coop because I know that I do not have the time to do everything that is involved! I for one would like to THANK everyone here that has helped me to make my display better! SO

Thanks!!!!!

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
Re: 2nd LE COOP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, »
DIDO, I would not have what I have today if it was not for this site. No way I could afford it. Much Thanks.

Another thing is that you could always see about buying the PCB's from RJ, and then buy the components directly from mouser. I know this can be done because it's how I got started. If you only want 1 or 2 that a good way to start. Yea it cost more but not and ARM or a leg, and yea you'll have to get the PIC programmed, but there are members here that do that for there local users as well, and to them I say THANKS that how I got my first Express and USB DMX Dongle programmed. This is a great site with a great set of users that are hear to help. I hope some day I will be able to PAY IT FORWARD.  <res.

Thanks again
Scott
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, »
Ditto.  I can only imagine the amount of work that goes into a coop.  Then they do it for free.  THEN, people blast you for doing them a favor.  Unreal. 

So next time you think about blasting someone for saving you money, you should think again or step up and become a coop manager.

Thanks RJ and all the coop managers for saving me and everyone else money.  We actually appreciate it.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, »
I just looked through the list of finished coops to get an idea of their number and frequency.

WOW! 

Looking backward I can see all of the successful coops, all of the replies/requests, and all of the coop managers.

Thanks to all of the coop managers and their helpers for your past and future efforts!!  I've watched the video of JJ doing a coop.  Watching this tired me out! :)

Thanks again!!

• RJ
  • JJ
  • lonewolf41
  • ponddude
  • smartcontrols
  • wbuehler
  • D56VillageNut
  • KeithTarply
  • fertsey
  • Freebird
  • rmp2917
  • n1list
  • tstewart
  • memphislights
  • NOLAlights
  • NaveGator
  • kgustafson
  • Rod R
  • lineman
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, »
Don't fret buckaroos! There will be more coops.
 Be patient and you will be rewarded.
 And never bite the hand that feeds you.
These are great people helping us all out.

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, »
Just an FYI incase your wondering.

Coop 1 Express
$67.09 - Express PCB, Heat Sink, Parts, COOP Manager programms PIC
$11.35 - Shipping
$78.44 - TOTAL

NON-Coop 1 Express
$16.00 - EXPRESS PCB & Heat Sink from RJ shipped in US
$68.40 - EXPRESS Parts from mouser + what ever they charge for shipping.
$84.40+Mouser Shipping = TOTAL

The Coop Manager's put a lot of time in just to SAVE YOU MONEY and they DO NOT get paid for it.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, »

Coop 1 Express
$11.35 - Shipping
$78.44 - TOTAL

NON-Coop 1 Express

The Coop Manager's put a lot of time in just to SAVE YOU MONEY and they DO NOT get paid for it.
Thanks for the cost comparison!  It's good to see real numbers.

Being a "I want it when I want it" sort of guy, I'm willing to skip the savings from the coop if I simply had access to the PCBs.  I came to a realization last year -- if I was really trying to save money I wouldn't be in this hobby.  :) I'm not claiming to be wealthy by any means, and I definitely want the comparative savings from a Stellascape or a LOR solution.  But getting something sooner has a measurable value too!

So, if I had one wish for the first few months, it would be to see the store fill up  with PCBs of each variety.  The coop managers could buy their PCBs from the store (instead of what I expect to be the reverse where extra PCBs go into the PM stash).
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Titus

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, »

Coop 1 Express
$11.35 - Shipping
$78.44 - TOTAL

NON-Coop 1 Express

Those numbers are not all correct...

I was charged $71.27 for one express in the first coop (including shipping).  The EXPRESS PCB & Heat Sink from RJ shipped in US is $27.35.  I don't have the numbers anymore, but when I worked out the numbers for me including shipping from Mouser, the Coop saved me almost exactly $30.

With that said, I don't think saving $30 is worth getting upset about.  I see 4 choices- 1) set up the notification, set up your email on your phone, and jump every time it goes off like most of us, 2) Pay the higher non-coop price, 3) take your chances waiting and hope the coops get less congested, or 4) Give up and find a different site and product.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, by Titus »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, »
well, every coop varies, as mouser is limited in it's pricing from manufacturer's  plus, we now have a usps shipping increase which will have a small effect
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, »
But it is true I have looked at it over the years and it is normally around a $30 savings. It is less if you get a bunch from mouser at the same time but it does add up. This is why we do it, otherwise it would be like the DMX Dongle where the savings were not even enough to justify coops so we never ran dongles coops.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, »
Just to be clear, you said you never run DMX dongle coops, but ether dongle coops you will be running.  Correct?

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, »
That's correct.  On the USB DMX dongle, there quantity price break on the USB module is such that there wouldn't be enough savings to make it worth the effort.  Most of the other boards don't have that combination of low parts count with a single expensive non-discounted part.

/mike