Author Topic: Express Energy Usage  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
Express Energy Usage
« on: January 20, 2012, »
I'm trying to calculate energy usage of my light display. It's easy enough to calculate the power draw of the lights... just add/multiply the numbers on the little tags on each string. However, how many watts overhead does each Express add?

And while I have peoples' attention, what would it be for an Aether I?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jstevens

• Professional Net Lurker
Re: Express Energy Usage
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, »
Got a Kill-A-Watt meter handy?

I don't have an LE or Aether built right now, so I can't tell you what my Kill-A-Watt meter says.  Sorry.

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, »
I want to say it's 2-3 Watts... less than a night light.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline egenoup

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, »
 The express by it self only uses milliamps of power....   The kill-a-watt measurements are as follows:

.01 amps, 3-4 watts, 2VA.   readings that low can have errors...  I.E.  122 V olts (as read on the kill-a-watt) times .01 = 1.22VA.  Now either the kill-a-watt is rounding up to 2 or the measurement range and accuracy compound the error. 

The bottom line is that the LE does not draw enough power to be even a consideration in power calculations.  When the LE was powered up, as the LED display scrolled, the readings would change by one or two.  The final readings were taken once the display stopped scrolling.

Egenoup