Author Topic: 5 Port Ethernet Switch  (Read 5546 times)

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
5 Port Ethernet Switch
« on: January 20, 2012, »
If this has already been addressed, then I am sorry for re-posting.

Would it be possible to hook up multiple EDs on one Ethernet card provided you have it hooked up to say a 5 port Ethernet switch, or would it just be better to get another Ethernet card hooked up in the computer?

Mike
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: 5 Port Ethernet Switch
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, »
That is how you would do it.

Common home setup has Internet coming into some sort of modem. That box will usually also be a combination router and switch with multiple Ethernet ports. Your computer goes into one of the ports. Your Etherdongle goes into another port. Your computer will be able to communicate with every Etherdongle you connect (as long as they have non-conflicting TCP/IP addresses).

Because my router was not Gigabit speed, but I have 3 computers that will do Gigabit, I got an 8-port Gigabit Switch. All my computers plug into that, plus my E1.31 (I don't have an actual Etherdongle yet).  That switch then connects to my router. This allows all my equipment to stay a maximum speed.

ps - since the Etherdongle and all the E1.31 devices I've seen are only 100mb speed, be sure any Gigabit switch you buy supports multiple speed connections. Some of them will slow everything down to match the slowest thing plugged into a port.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, »
if you currently have two or more etherdongles, they can be used on the same betwork, but will share the same set of channels...   to use the 2nd etherdongle for another set of 16k channels, you would have to wait till rj releases the new firmware for this, or run them on seperate networks, controlled by seperate software.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, »
Hey Jon and Chris,

Then theoretically speaking you could run on the same computer provided you had a different network card.  As far as separate software couldn't you use the same software as long as you setup different universes on the second to reflect the new IP address that you would designate for the network card or am I over simplifying this?. 
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey Jon and Chris,

Then theoretically speaking you could run on the same computer provided you had a different network card.  As far as separate software couldn't you use the same software as long as you setup different universes on the second to reflect the new IP address that you would designate for the network card or am I over simplifying this?.
I was thinking of the same... but how would the plugins (Vixen? LSP?) know which NIC to use to reach one ED or the other?  We really need a configuration tool, new firmware, and...?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, »
who's really going to need more than 16k channels?  >:D

[/sarcasm off]

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, »

[/sarcasm off]
It's funny you should ask!

Someone that has 110 DMX universes perhaps?  I guess you would call it a cosmos! 

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, by Penfold »
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, »

[/sarcasm off]

ME X 3  ;D ;D ;D

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Re: Re: 5 Port Ethernet Switch
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, »
Hey Jon and Chris,

I was thinking of the same... but how would the plugins (Vixen? LSP?) know which NIC to use to reach one ED or the other?  We really need a configuration tool, new firmware, and...?

I think LSP lets you select which nic to use for multicast. I have a local and a wireless nic and they both show up in e131 setup.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, »
can lsp use different netowrks for multicast of different channels?  say 1-10 on network 1, and 11-20 on network 2?

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, »
can lsp use different netowrks for multicast of different channels?  say 1-10 on network 1, and 11-20 on network 2?

I don't think so. The universe number would have to be different in the "Configure Controller Output Plugin" screen for the two networks. Because the "Configure Controller" screen uses the "Zone/Network" setting to know which universe and configured network card to send the data to. At least that is my understanding of LSP and E131 plug-in.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, »
so then, you can't currently control 2 eD's with the same software on the same computer.

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, »
Now as a disclaimer I do not have an EthernetDongle yet. I missed first coop. But theoretically you should be able to. I attached a screen shot of what I think may work. Where universe 1-32 is first Ethernet Dongle and 33-64 is second. Notice I did not show universes 2-31 or 34-63 because I did not want to take time to set them up. Universe 1-32 use "multicast local network" and 33-64 use "wireless network". LSP uses the universe number (zone/network) to direct the data to correct interface like I stated in my last post. But the channel numbering for both networks is the same. 

So I do not think you need additional interfaces or control screens added to LSP. Although the EtherDongle might not be able to receive universes beyond 32 which could limit the amount of EtherDongles to one. But this would not be an LSP E131 plug-in limitation.  Just my thoughts, may be wrong.

so then, you can't currently control 2 eD's with the same software on the same computer.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, by dpitts »

Offline rm357

5 Port Ethernet Switch
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, »
With the current firmware, multiple ether dongles will mirror each other. The multicast will flow to all ether dongles that are connected to your network.

I don't think there is a way to restrict multicast messages to specific Ethernet interfaces in the current version of windows...

With e1.31, the last octet of the ip address matches the DMX universe number that it is listening for. To run multiple EtD for more universes, the ip addresses that EtD #2 is listening for needs to be changed. I might be wrong, but that seems like a fairly easy change, but really - are any of you planning more than 16,000 channels for this year? If so, what software are you planning to use? Unless you go Madrix, I don't think the current software - vixen, lsp or lor, is up to the task...

If you are not planning more than 16k channels this year, then this discussion is purely academic.
Regardless, With a little patience, I think RJ will release the firmware you seek. If not, you can still use your USB dongles for additional universes.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, »
My Halloween show last year was over 16,000 channels using Vixen. I plan to be at about 30,000 channels for Christmas this year.

If the conductor does make it out this year, these dynamics may change a lot. I am thinking it will change how we do high channel counts anyway. Just have to wait and see.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, by smartcontrols »