Author Topic: Quality audio  (Read 528 times)

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Quality audio
« on: January 20, 2012, »
Here is a quote chopped from a long-ago thread:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would also like to note, with a good WAV editor, one should be able to chop the Frequency Response of the music file to match the FM transmitter (in my case) 20Hz to 15KHz Audio Response capabilities.  What this does for your FM transmission is incredible music quality on the receiving end.  In other words, no distorsion of the transmitted frequencies in the music because the transmitter turns most anything outside of it specified Audio Response to garbage (noise).  I know, some FM Transmitters can filter that, but I would suspect most of us spend more money on lights than a $400 plus FM Transmitter.

Can the audiophiles in the crowd weigh in on two of the comments made above?

*How does one determine the frequency response of a transmitter? Spec sheet? Running tests?

*How does one "chop" the frequency response in an application such as Audacity?

Thanks.

\dmc

Offline caretaker

Re: Quality audio
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, »
As far as the Frequency response of the transmitter that should be in the spec sheet that came with the transmitter or check with the company that made it (or the kit)

The second point of how to chop frequency response in Audacity there is two way to do it. First select the entire audio sequence in Audacity then either use the equalizer and select a point on the scale where your low frequency cutoff is then drag the line from that point to the end down and due the same for the high frequency cutoff and make sure to save the curve so you can then use that every time after. Or you can use a high pass and a low pass filter one after another to cut the frequency to your needs.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
Re: Quality audio
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, »
I use a filter in Cool Edit Pro set to my transmitter's frequency range.  The FCC doesn't allow commercial radio stations to broadcast frequencies less than 50Hz, I'm not sure what that means for us.

I run my audio through a de-esser - even the instrumentals.  Cymbal crashes, hi-hats, fuzzy guitars all tend to "sizzle".  I also run the audio through a compressor to help avoid extreme high and low volumes.  You would be surprised how processed audio from a radio station is before it gets to your radio.  The pros do it, so do I (thanks to home studio software.)

I don't know if it was thread or a different one where we shared audio tricks, however, that's my 2 cents.

Good luck!

Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login