Author Topic: RGB/PixelNet Q&A  (Read 2665 times)

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
RGB/PixelNet Q&A
« on: January 22, 2012, »
Hello folks!  Need some answers from you PixelNet guru's out there...

I've had some sleep and am currently testing my sample packs that I recv'd from Holiday Coro.  Boy what a different in modules.

1.  Is it normal to see totally different colors from say square modules as opposed to the rectangular ones?  Because I'm getting that.

2.  Can these modules be run from an SSC?  Yes I know they are "dumb" but can that still drive them?

3.  Are all the modules / strings from Ray based on the wiki here all "smart?"  Should I just buy those instead?  I don't like supporting China but looks like I might not have a choice.

4.  In regards to "dumb" and "smart" strings how does one tell what they are?  Not always in the descriptions.  Are there certain chips to look for or is there something else?

I know I had more questions but can't think of them off the top of my head.  I'll post here again when I do remember them.  Hopefully this will also help anyone else getting into these as this information is well scattered at best.  Needs to be in one place.....

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline zwiller

Re: RGB/PixelNet Q&A
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, »
I have a sample pack from Holiday Coro due in a few days...

I don't believe the square or rect should give you different colors but I am aware that some modules are wired/labeled different. 

No, a dumb module cannot be run by a SSC.  RJ has a dumb controller in the works!!!  That said the 3 channel dmx things looks pretty cool.  Anxious to try it.

Yes all the wiki stuff are smart.  You can get dumb ones from Ray but they are only a little cheaper.  I really wish the dumb ones were more inexpensive. 

I believe the difference between the two are chips.  SS have chips, dumb ones don't.  Also, smart are 3 wire and dumb are 4.

I had one heck of time with my ss gear.  Got totally frustrated and ready to give up only to find out the SS needs to connected correctly to input side of chip.  I didn't read anywhere it was important...  Then I was golden.  I am now a raging RGB addict and jonesing for an order to Ray.   ;D

Now I am on the hunt for flex strip info...

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, »
Hello folks!  Need some answers from you PixelNet guru's out there...

I've had some sleep and am currently testing my sample packs that I recv'd from Holiday Coro.  Boy what a different in modules.

1.  Is it normal to see totally different colors from say square modules as opposed to the rectangular ones?  Because I'm getting that.
if connected correctly, and rxpierencing problems, you might to get ahold of them.

2.  Can these modules be run from an SSC?  Yes I know they are "dumb" but can that still drive them?
zwiller explained it best.
3.  Are all the modules / strings from Ray based on the wiki here all "smart?"  Should I just buy those instead?  I don't like supporting China but looks like I might not have a choice.
the ones in the wiki are "smart" just different shapes for different applications

4.  In regards to "dumb" and "smart" strings how does one tell what they are?  Not always in the descriptions.  Are there certain chips to look for or is there something else?
dumb have a wire for each color r.g.b and a common positive, or negative...
smart can be 3 or 4 wire, but consist of + power, - power, data, (and either a data- or clock wire)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, »
O.K. that answers some questions.

Now my rectangle modules do in fact display the correct colors when one at a time.  Red is red green is green and blue is blue.  But if you compare the square and rectangles side by side the colors are so different.  And if I turn on the red and green I get yellow on the square and green on the rectangle.  Now that is strange if you ask me!

I've even swapped the two DMX controllers just to be sure those aren't the cause and they aren't.  Both types of modules act the same way.

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, »
when the wire goes into the node, how are they labeled?

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, »
Which wires are you referring to exactly?
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, »
the wires that go into the square or rectangle. are they labeled on the square or rectangle?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, »
I'm not aware of anything RGB that doesn't come from china.  ...that includes dumb and smart strings/pixels

buy locally and you are getting a local distributor of china products.  that isn't bad, a local person can deal with the supplier quality issues, and also spread the shipping costs through their volume.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, »
the wires that go into the square or rectangle. are they labeled on the square or rectangle?

Yup they sure are.  Yellow is the 12v line while the red is red blue is blue and green is green.

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, »
I created a basic page setup in the wiki for everyone to add content. Feel free to modify the layout as needed.

I know there are members who know how to edit the wiki and maybe they can be support group for it.

let me know if more is needed.

Rick
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required