Author Topic: flexible strips...  (Read 4992 times)

Offline Heinekenator

Re: flexible strips...
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2012, »
These look awesome! Any idea how the individual nodes would look inside either the pex or thin wall pvc?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2012, »
i picked up pex last night, will try it out today. after i complete my home theatre screen
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2012, »
 <pop..

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Finally had time to try a flexstrip inside of PEX and PVC side by side.  I used ¾” white PEX and 1” schedule 20 PVC because that is what I had on hand.  The PEX is at the top and the PVC is on the bottom.  The bright spots are not really visible to the naked eye.  The PVC did diffuse the light better, but it was also not as bright overall.  I may try ¾” PVC and/or 1” PEX, but both of those are harder to find around here.

Josh

It looks good; are you planning to turn them into arches? If so, how would you do it because the standard method is to pound 2 pieces of rebar into the ground, and slide the pipes over.

Offline JDM1oc

flexible strips...
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2012, »
Finally had time to try a flexstrip inside of PEX and PVC side by side.  I used ¾” white PEX and 1” schedule 20 PVC because that is what I had on hand.  The PEX is at the top and the PVC is on the bottom.  The bright spots are not really visible to the naked eye.  The PVC did diffuse the light better, but it was also not as bright overall.  I may try ¾” PVC and/or 1” PEX, but both of those are harder to find around here.

Josh

It looks good; are you planning to turn them into arches? If so, how would you do it because the standard method is to pound 2 pieces of rebar into the ground, and slide the pipes over.

For my mini arches last year (made with pex and minilights) I made stands out of 2" PVC that I drilled holes in. There were 9 mini arches side by side over about 20'. I would do something similar with a larger arch probably have a pipe anchored into the ground horizontally and slide the pex into a hole drilled in the pipe.

Offline fmcaninch

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2012, »
These look awsome but I see one potential issue right off. Where you decide to add a coupler or elbow will show up as a dim spot in the PVC line due to the extra added thickness.

Also over on HolidayCoro, they do sell brackets for the arches to attach to the ground. Basically a flat plate with a short rod welded on that allows you to place the end of the PVC over to hold.