Author Topic: Grounded 16-guage 1-ft cables... 2 for $1.39  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Grounded 16-guage 1-ft cables... 2 for $1.39
« on: January 24, 2012, »
They are short, but for the price you might be willing to make it work.
Grounded 16-guage 1-ft cables... 2 for $1.39

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Heinekenator

Re: Grounded 16-guage 1-ft cables... 2 for $1.39
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, »
would these work well with a Lynx Express? Cutting off the male end?

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, »
Monoprice has 2' for $1.26 qty > 50.  They work well.

I used some 18/3 cables like this that worked great as well.  1' is too short.  2' is perfect.  3' is a bit long to deal with for storing.

Most of these are overkill as the LE only has 6 amp triacs.

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, »
Good price for the cables but at 1ft they are a little too short for my liking.  Like Jeff I bought the cables from Monoprice a good value as well albeit not 2 for one.  But if they work for you go for it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, by Rod R »

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, »
Seems like a pretty good price, a little beefy but should work fine.  They are short but there are applications for for short pigtails (some folk use a quad outlet wired to an ssr).  Remember, everybody has an opinion...

R,
Tony "C"
R,
Tony "C"

Offline craig d

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, »
I like the short ones, it keeps the connections off the ground so you have less problems with wet connections throwing the GFI. Just my 2 cents.   Craig

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, »
I personally use the 2' ones from monoprice.  They have worked out great for the 6 LEs that I have built.  They are overkill for what is needed for the currents of the LE, but they do look neat and professional when completed.  I also like the thick insulation and the ability for it to seal the holes that I cut into the enclosure for the plugs.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, »
I will be building my first LE's and was planning on using STP2 with vampire plugs. Do I need to upgrade to the grounded cables?

Offline thestig

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, »
I will be building my first LE's and was planning on using STP2 with vampire plugs. Do I need to upgrade to the grounded cables?

No you do not need to upgrade. Tons of people are using sp2 with vampire plugs on their LE's. Just make sure that you are using a heavier duty wire for the two power cords that you power the controller with.

I personally have the grounded cords from monoprice, but I cut the ground wire off as it is not necessary.

Grant

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, »

No you do not need to upgrade. Tons of people are using sp2 with vampire plugs on their LE's. Just make sure that you are using a heavier duty wire for the two power cords that you power the controller with.

I personally have the grounded cords from monoprice, but I cut the ground wire off as it is not necessary.

Grant
Some folks have connected the grounds coming in, to the grounds going out.  The ground does not connect to the board, but the ground does offer protection this way.

Steve
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, »
Awesome find btw !!

The spt2 is nice because it weighs a lot less, no ground to mess with ... and can be done for cheap.  At this point, I don't plug any grounded cords into my AC controllers, so there is no reason to deal with all the weight and bulk.  Nothing, incl. C9(s) even requires enough watts to warrant the big gauge cables ... so I really am enjoying lightweight LE(s).  I grab an LOR box and its double the weight, just because of the cords.    The LE board doesn't even have a ground to connect to.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]