Author Topic: etherDongle "Big Picture" for newbie  (Read 1941 times)

Offline rwave

etherDongle "Big Picture" for newbie
« on: January 27, 2012, »
OK, I have read alot, looked at video and now think I am ready to ask some basic questions.

I have no lights at all, so I'm starting from scratch.  My thinking is to use current technology only (i.e. RGB nodes) and pixelnet.  As I wait for an etherDongle coop (and "hope" to participate), I'm trying to get my arms around cases, power and board location.

Questions:

1.  As I bring multiple 20A service into my garage (to be used exclusively for lights), should the etherDongle be located near these outlets?

2.  Should the etherDongle case include its own power supply?

3.  Are the activeHubs generally located closer to the RGB strings?

4.  Should the active Hub case include its own power supply (up to 800W, single rail 12v) to handle up to 2048 nodes?

5.  Can a passive hub just use the cat5 cable for power IF you don't exceed 128 nodes, or does it still require external power?

I'll have more.  THANKS for your assistance.

Richard

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: etherDongle "Big Picture" for newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, »
working on a eD user manual. but here goes...

Questions:

1.  As I bring multiple 20A service into my garage (to be used exclusively for lights), should the etherDongle be located near these outlets?

you generally want to place the eD somewhere between your network equipment, (broadband router or switch) and where your first active hub will be. it doesn't have to be in the middle, mine sat on my desk near the switch as an example

2.  Should the etherDongle case include its own power supply?
the eD has a case, and uses a AC Adapter for it's power

3.  Are the activeHubs generally located closer to the RGB strings?
since the active hubs are supplying power to the strings, you would like to get them close to your strong, but don't have to be "right on top of them"  the longer the string like a full 128 nodes should use a shorter cable, but you should still get away with a decent size run.

4.  Should the active Hub case include its own power supply (up to 800W, single rail 12v) to handle up to 2048 nodes?
a lot of people use a automotive battery box and there plenty of room inside for the power supply. for a FULL active hub, you're looking for a power supply that can provide 80A of 12v power. (single rail power suply is a requirement)

5.  Can a passive hub just use the cat5 cable for power IF you don't exceed 128 nodes, or does it still require external power?
the passive hub, blocks powere coming into it. you will need to provide power to the hub outside of the cat5 cable.

I'll have more.  THANKS for your assistance.

Richard

[/quote]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, by rrowan »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, »
For last season my active hub and PC power supply sat on my front porch in a marine battery box.  I have a 14ga extension cord running to that box.  I plan to put my ether dongle and a powerline ethernet adapter inside the box so I have an all in one solution.  I have not tried this yet so can not say if there will be any issues, but at least physically it appears that there is more than enough room in the box.  All my SS nodes are on my house for now and in the immediate future.  No SS in the yard planned, but I do not have an concerns about putting a second setup in the yard mirroring my planned marine box setup.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
" the longer the string like a full 128 nodes should use a smaller cable, but you should still get away with a decent size run."
[/quote]

I think Chris is trying to say shorter not smaller here. Not trying to be the police, but I don't want someone just starting to think that you should use smaller cable when drawing more current.

Offline rwave

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, »
THANKS for the replies.

@rdebolt - right, I got the shorter length.  Is there any rule of thumb on cat5 length for various SS lengths (i.e. 25, 50, 75, 100, 128 nodes)?

@jnealand - neat idea, the marine box.  I also will probably start with SS only on the my single story house, but I also like the idea of arches and mini trees in the yard.  Even considering using underground conduit/PVC to protect the cat5 for a fairly permanent install.

@chrisatpsu - aha, an eD manual.  Any eta?  I'm still hoping to mount both the eD and active hubs on the garage wall (with lights initially only on the house), hence my earlier question about cat5 length.

I've also seen discussion about power supplies; any particular model to supply max power (80A) to the active hubs?

Richard

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, »
don't quote me, but i think RJ had a cat5 cable running longer than 50ft, to connect to a string of 80 or 85 nodes...   the key here is that it MUST be stranded cat5 cabling.   

thanks rdebolt, yes i meant shorter run. us western Pennsylvanians have a funny way of talking  :D
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rm357

etherDongle "Big Picture" for newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, »
Shorter for the cat 5 is better, but you can get away with pretty long runs. Between the hub and ssc I think RJ used 100' cables in 2010. Between the dongle (either type) and the hub, you may be able to get away with 1000'...

The one that needs to be short is between the ssc and first node. Recommended length is less than 3', but I have gotten away with 10' with no issues...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA