Author Topic: dongles differences  (Read 4367 times)

Offline winwin

dongles differences
« on: January 28, 2012, »
Trying to determine which way to go with the Dongle...

Am I getting this right?
  • The Dongle and Lynx USB Dongle / Pixelnet have the same PCB (and hardware/components); the difference is in the firmware
    The Pixelnet EtherDongle has different PCB, components and firmware

Understanding the applications are different, clarifications the above would already address one of the basic questions I have.

I could not retrieve a recent post where someone suggested the Dongle would fade out by itself, suggesting the Dongle Pixelnet was a better way to go (more versatile) for just a few more dollars. Since I cannot retrieve the post, not sure this is correct.
AL.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: dongles differences
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, »
RJ offers two different dongles

1 - USB Dongle that can be DMX or Pixelnet with a firmware change
2 - EtherDongle that also can be DMX or Pixelnet with firmware change

Just starting out I would suggest getting the EtherDongle since it can do 4 universes of either firmware and you are not limited by the USB connection.

Not sure what you mean by "Dongle and Lynx USB Dongle"

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline winwin

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, »
Rick,

Thanks for the reply.

Since both PCBs can do both DMX and Pixelnet, what would be the reasons to choose the USB Dongle other EtherDongle?
Cheaper? easier to build for someone with limited soldering experience?

someone suggested the Dongle would fade out by itself, suggesting the Dongle Pixelnet was a better way to go

I meant to say that "EtherDongle" as opposed to Dongle Pixelnet

Never do I! This is how they are described in the equipment section You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
AL.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, »
The USB dongle has been out since DLA has started and up to last year it was DMX only. If you don't plan to use RGB or stay with low channel (up to 512 or 2048 channels depending on DMX or Pixelnet firmware) count that you most likely can get a used one from the sales section from another member that has move up to the EtherDongle. The EtherDongle just came out in December 2011 and will most likely be updated this year with an add on board to allow your show to run without a computer. Its the reason why we recommend new members to start off with the EtherDongle over the USB dongle. The cost is pretty close the same with 4 times the available channels and expansion. The reason why cost is close is because the USB dongle has never been in a coop while the EtherDongle is so the cost of parts drop for it.

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, »

Never do I! This is how they are described in the equipment section You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

this is one of the thing we're working on cleaning up the understanding of.. 
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline winwin

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, »
Helpful responses, thank you all.
The USB Dongle still seems to be a pretty good way to get started considering that you can reflash it with the pixelnet firmware. If I am not mistaken, I can still have a few hundreds of DMX channel with a few thousands pixnelnet, right? (not sure the numbers).
AL.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, »
for the usb dongle

512 channels DMX
4096 channels Pixelnet (with the Active hub you can still get DMX channels)

Rick R.

Offline winwin

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, »
Thanks Rick.

If I get this right, you can get either 512 channels DMX with the DMX firmware or 4096 channels Pixelnet with the Pixelnet firmware.

I also thought that with the Pixelnet firmware, you could get a combination of both DMX and Pixelnet channels... Am I right and how many of each?
AL.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, »
Let me try.  When using a pixelnet flashed dongle you always get 4096 channels of pixelnet and you can have 512 channels mirrored, echoed, copied, sent out as DMX.  If the DMX is configured for the first 512 channels the programming is also sent out on pixelnet as channels 1-512, i.e., a dead duplicate copy of the programming just using a different jack and a different protocol.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rimist

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, »
With the usb dongle flashed with pixelnet AND an active hub, you get both. The dongle puts out 4096 channels of pixelnet. the active hub has a Dmx jack and converts 512 pixelnet channels to Dmx. You use a jumper to tell the active hub which section of 512 channels is converted. Note that those channels are still available as pixelnet also.

EDIT: modified to include info below
-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, by rimist »
- Rimist

Offline keitha43

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, »
Not necessarily the 1st 512. It depends on the jumper position. I was using the last 512 channels last year.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Offline winwin

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, »
I think I got it. Thanks everyone for providing these clarifications.
AL.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, »
I know that I'm jumping in a little late here but IMHO, the Etherdongle is really the only way to go.  While there is nothing wrong with the USB dongle, it is much more limited in its capabilities compared to the Etherdongle and for the small price difference, the decision really is a no-brainer.  Everyone talks about the channel count but that is just one of its added capabilities.  The fact that it is an Ethernet device alone gives it multiple added capabilities depending on the hardware that you are using and the most important one is the upcoming Conductor.  And then the price difference between the two of them is so small that it's not really a consideration in the selection.  The USB Dongle is what it is and I doubt that their will be much if any further development to it while the Etherdongle is the future in Lynks controllers.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline winwin

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, »
Tbone,

Thanks for your insight.

Starting from scratch (meaning nothing!), it seems it would take for ever before reaching the limitations of the Dongle when not using pixelnet. Maybe when you reach a sizable display or implement pixelnet, those limitations are more obvious, or when you are more knowledgeable than I am. Multiple posts and the recent success of the Etherdongle coop seems to support your remarks.

What do you estimate the pricing for the Dongle to come up to? looking at mouser, cost of the enclosure, PCB... I thought you could get it for under or around $60. Am I miss something?

AL.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, »
The problem with going for the etherdongle is that they are not readily available and they are not likely to become readily available for a period of time.  There may have a better long term output, but the time to get started is now.  You would never wait for all the traffic lights to turn green before starting out for work.  So far there has been one completed coop for the etherdongle with a target of 100 and second incomplete coop for 150.  And the sum total of those two coops do not mean that 250 people will have a dongle at the end of the current coop since many of the members will have two or even more.  We might see a couple more etherdongle coops this year but that still does not make for a lot of product availability.  There is nothing like starting with a small show and learning the ropes today.  Besides who knows if there might not be an etherdongle 2 at some point in the future.  Almost all the current pcbs are in at least there second iteration.  You can wait or start with a known available product.  The choice is yours but I want to point out that there are pros and cons both ways.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA