Author Topic: a (not complete) guide to a coop for newbs.  (Read 1425 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
a (not complete) guide to a coop for newbs.
« on: January 30, 2012, »
this is as of 1/30/2012 and can always change at any time, especially as RJ experiments with the store.
this is just a small guide to help explain what happens in a coop from the members point of view.
it's just a guide to explain, and not a set of rules that you must follow. it just helps everything go smoother.

1.) a coop is opened as a new post in the current coops.
          if you notice there is only one post, please wait until the coop manager posts a blank 2nd post. (it helps him keep track of who got what)

2.) please read the first post before you reply with what you want.  it should tell you...
          options, depends on what hardware it is, and if any options are available.
          it will tell you when the coop should end (but don't count on waiting till the last secoond, as some coops close quickly.)
          it should give you an idea on what it might cost (it almost always never ends at this price, most cases it goes down a little)
          and any other instructions the manager wants to give you

3.) then post in the thread for what you want. (at this point, please don't post in the thread about anything else except what you want, or changes to what you want. If you have questions about the hardware, start a new thread in the area of that piece of hardware. the more posts in the thread that have nothing to do about the coop just makes more work for a coop manager, and he might mess up your order.)

4.) if you change your mind and want to add/subtract/ or remove your order, please post it in a new reply.  if you keep changing your original post, there's no way to easily see that it's a change. posting your updates as new posts, will help it get noticed.

5.) once a coop is closed, no more orders can be accepted. it's best to not comment, as other people looking at the topic can just to the end and see that it's closed, or if there's further info from the coop manager. sometimes people don't pay for whatever reason. sometimes, they open up those unpaid orders for others to pick up. it would be nice to see that info at the end of the topic and would be hard to sift through many posts to find out info that could help you get more, or even get in.

6.) you should receive a pm from the coop manager about how to pay, and how much for your order. please read the instructions carefully, as they explain specifically how the manager needs you to respond with your payment.

7.) after your payment goes through, check it again in a couple hours, or evan a day or two to make sure it didn't get refunded b/c of an error. the coop manager sometimes posts who paid. you can check this list to make sure your name gets marked.

8.) the coop takes time.  there should be posts by the manager giving updates on where things stand, so if you're worried about the status of the coop, you can look at the end to see if there's any issues that might delay things.

9.) the coop manager will usually post that items have shipped.

10.) if you want, you can post that you received your item.

11.) the coop topic stays in the current coops area until the coop manager can see that everything arrived, and that everyone got their stuff.

12.) PLEASE check your stuff when you get it to see that it's all there. if you wait a year, then open it then realize that something is missing. it gets harder to replace.

13.) after it seems like everyone is taken care of (as far as receiving their stuff) then the coop gets moved to finished coops.

14.) you're happy, you got your stuff, the coop managers happy, it went smoothly
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: a (not complete) guide to a coop for newbs.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, »
Nice write up Chris. See what comments come in and then I think this should moved and pinned in either the coops Topic or the getting started topic.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, »
i seem to be in manual mode lately...
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, »
Nice job Chris! At least in "Manual" mode you have to think, in "Auto" mode not so much! ;)

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, »
Chris;
Thanks for doing this! I only joined last December and found i was not clear exactly how a coop worked.

I think you should add that anyone who plans on joining a coop should go to the coop thread and click NOTIFY. This really helped to get the email announcing new coop's.

In the first paragraph you might say something like

There are currently 20(?) coop managers. They decide (in some way) what the next coop will be. Coops go on periodically for most of the year. For example: if you are waiting for an Aether coop, you just need to monitor the forum and wait for an announcement (This is why the NOTIFY is useful).

The coops quantanties are between 50(?) and 200  usually. Since the coop managers will not place the orders until all orders are in, larger coops make the process take longer. A few people not paying will delay the process for everyone. Large quantanties make more work for the coop managers (they are all volunteers)

Once the coop manager places the orders, they need to receive all parts and sort them into individual kits. It is not uncommon for this coop, end to end process to take 2-3 months.

Since, I am new i don't know if the above is all true, but i know i would appreciate more about the process.

thanks
sean

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, »
Smeighan,

COOPs are determined by the group and driven mainly from the admins of DLA (RJ and others).  Without going into too much detail, the COOPs are launched dependent on needs of the DLA community, availability of parts, and the COOP manager having all his ducks lined up.  There is a LOT of work that goes on behind the scenes before the community sees the initial announcement (but not too much so as to scare off any future COOP managers *smile*).

The closure of the COOP is at the discretion of the COOP Manager (but I have yet to see it not be something stated up front and it always seems fair).

The time it takes from payment receipt to actual shipment of COOP kits is due to many things -- but the primary factor to cause lag is back-ordered parts.  If something does go on back-order, most suppliers have a long lead time to replace (as they get their factors and suppliers to make more).  We try -- as COOP managers -- to avoid back-orders by either finding different suppliers or finding a comparable replacement part (both of which take time and effort and the last requires final say-so by RJ -- for safety reasons.)  The other long-lead item is receipt, sorting and packaging of the kits.  Dependent on the COOP type, this typically involves thousands and tens of thousands of parts being sorted and bagged and sealed and boxed and labeled.  Sometimes we have multiple suppliers that we have to coordinate with and this will also add to the complexity.  This is why patience is the best thing in the world for anyone participating in a COOP.  I don't know of a single COOP manager that is wanting to delay the kits (as a matter of fact, I bet most of our spouses are pressuring us enough to get this stuff out the door!)  If you realize this, you will understand that sometimes things happen and it delays the shipment somehow and that patience with the COOP manager is needed.

Perhaps this was enough to whet your appetite for info.  The best way to get full disclosure is to become a COOP manager yourself *smile*.  It will give you new appreciation of the COOPs -- trust me.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, »
I believe Sean was just trying to add to the Guide that Chris Posted in the first post.
Sebastian from California

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, »
i wasn't complaining or criticizing. I just suggested maybe some more info that would make the coop process understood to newbies (like myself).

It may have been a while since you were new to this forum, as a newbie alot seems unsaid. i applaud the post and think it would be very useful

thanks
sean

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, »
Sean,

I did not take your post as a criticism.  I took it as a request for looking further under the covers.  I tried to provide some of the details.  I hope my reply did not come off as defensive or angry, because it was neither.  I truly wanted to share some of the details that we go through to provide the COOPs to the members.

------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login