Author Topic: Thoughts on buying from Ray  (Read 10179 times)

Offline zwiller

Thoughts on buying from Ray
« on: January 30, 2012, »
Ready to place an order from Ray.  Wanted to see if I have this right.

Join Aliexpress. 

Combine multiple items to get better deal on shipping.

DHL is best delivery method.  Less chance of customs issues, quick shipping, less chance items damaged or lost.

Pay with credit card not paypal.  Best option for resolving disputes.

Do NOT release escrow until all items accounted for and burn in tested.

When shipment arrives, count everything and burn in test for several hours at minimum.

Resolve missing items, bad parts, with Ray before 20 days when escrow time is up.

Failure rate on stuff  <10% so Ray throws some extra items to cover above.

Release escrow to Ray when all is cool.

Am I way off?  Just making a test order but it will likely be $200 and want to do this right.

THANKS

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline keitha43

Re: Thoughts on buying from Ray
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, »
Not sure what you mean by join Aliexpress? Just follow the links in the wiki. If you are ordering multiple items you will probably have to email him and have him calculate the cost of the order with shipping as the web site doesn't calculate it right if combining different items. Sometimes he will throw in a few extra nodes to cover any malfunctioning ones. Also be sure and count your nodes. Out of 9-128 strings of replacement nodes I was shorted 2 and then had 4 bad ones. That is a pretty low failure rate. These are the ip-68 nodes.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ready to place an order from Ray.  Wanted to see if I have this right.

Join Aliexpress. 

Combine multiple items to get better deal on shipping.
*** if ordering different items, ask for an invoice. sometimes he can do a better deal.

DHL is best delivery method.  Less chance of customs issues, quick shipping, less chance items damaged or lost.
*** i think he only ships via DHL.  I've ordered with other shipping methods, but DHL still delivered.

Pay with credit card not paypal.  Best option for resolving disputes.
*** Paypal cancelled their agreement with AliExpress, it's not an option anymore

Do NOT release escrow until all items accounted for and burn in tested.
*** this would be a good idea as long as you do the "burn in" in a reasonable amount of time.
*** he generally is pretty good about making things right

When shipment arrives, count everything and burn in test for several hours at minimum.
*** good practice

Resolve missing items, bad parts, with Ray before 20 days when escrow time is up.
*** yes

Failure rate on stuff  <10% so Ray throws some extra items to cover above.
*** sometimes you get just the amount you ordered

Release escrow to Ray when all is cool.
*** yes

Am I way off?  Just making a test order but it will likely be $200 and want to do this right.

THANKS

looks good so far. It's always nervous when you do that first order.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, »
One thing that may happen with your Credit Card too is that they may decline the charges. Since you are ordering over seas and that is unusual they may think that you card has been compromised. I had to let my CC company know that it was ok before they would accept the charges.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, »
I've done it the way you stated and also did another order by just emailing Ray and paying with paypal.  Either way worked fine, but less hassles with CC company by going thru paypal.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline zwiller

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, »
Thanks for advice guys.   <res. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, »
I put everything I wanted into the cart, then did a screenshot of it and then then had ray do a combined shipping quote for me.  NOrmally it takes another day, but you'll save even more than what the website will do for you.

Make sure to get things like the wire, the quick connectors ... cause those scale well into your shipping costs with a bigger order, but cost a ton if you order them on their own.

I've used DHL and the others with him and to be honest, they arrive in a sorts of different boxes and services, not necessarily the one you pick ... so I'd go with the cheapest.  All the boxes appear to have been through WW III and are usually taped to the nth degree.

I never did the burn in with mine, but running them on the TM1804 controller is a good idea.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, »
I done multiple large orders with Ray. I have him send a quote usually Word doc. When i approve he make special web link for my order. I pay with a credit card. Usually have to call cc company after first decline and tell them it is ok. Then try again. He has taken care of bad nodes and strips even when escrow had expired.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, »
I will ask for a quote instead of using the cart.  Yeah, I plan to get the wire now.  It is pricey to ship but I need it. 

For some reason I am not really interested in the quick connectors.  Am I off my rocker?  I plan to attach the ssc to the elements I make and disconnect via cat 5. 

Taybrynn, do you have a link for the controller?  Not sure which one you're referring to.  Not a bad idea if reasonable. 

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, »

For some reason I am not really interested in the quick connectors.  Am I off my rocker?  I plan to attach the ssc to the elements I make and disconnect via cat 5. 

I went that route last year and was unhappy with my decision. Any time I had to test or change an SSC I had to cut and re solder the wires in the field. After the first one wish I had spent the $1.00 for the connector. I am adding connectors to all my SCC this year.

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, »

I went that route last year and was unhappy with my decision. Any time I had to test or change an SSC I had to cut and re solder the wires in the field. After the first one wish I had spent the $1.00 for the connector. I am adding connectors to all my SCC this year.

I used the quick connectors in my display and I had a bad SSC less than one minute to change it out with a spare.  No quick connectors mean a solder job either outside (Murphy's Law it will be raining or snowing) or having to take the element down and bring it in to repair.

Brian

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, »
the connectors are deffinately worth it, just make sure to use the female end on the ssc, and the male end on the strings, nodes, strips, etc.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Thoughts on buying from Ray
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, »
The connectors are well worth it ... Not a place I would cut corners. 

Having them on ssc is very handy.   Also between display items ... I put between mega balls and sure enough, one went bad, so just unscrewed it and I was fixed in minutes .

This tester :
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline zwiller

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, »
Ok ok ok!  I will get connectors.  ;D

$20 for the controller.  Not bad at all. 

Thanks again.   8)

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, »
in case no one told you, get the 3 pin connectors   >:D