Author Topic: EtherDongle Coop - Program for DMX or PixelNet ?  (Read 3316 times)

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
Will the Ether Dongel in the coop come programmed for DMX or Pixel Net, or do we need to get it programmed out selfs?
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: EtherDongle Coop - Program for DMX or PixelNet ?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, »
neither you need to get a pickit3 and be prepared to do it yourself.  Remember that the pics are put on by an assembly factory and are smd not put in a socket so to program them a header would have to be soldered to the board.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, »
neither you need to get a pickit3 and be prepared to do it yourself.  Remember that the pics are put on by an assembly factory and are smd not put in a socket so to program them a header would have to be soldered to the board.
I think it is a fair question...  in the past coops usually will program the firmware.  There usually isn't a choice in firmware like EtD... 

Would it make sense to suggest that the coop manager perform this task for the Coop...?  Maybe the more likely (??!?) pixelnet?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, »
Am I reading it in-correctly, but doesn't the Etherdongle PCB already have an ICPS header on the PCB.

I'd assume (perhaps I'm in-correct) I'd connect up the PIC KIT to the ICPS header and program the PIC on the PCB?

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, »
Yes the Etherdongle has the ICPS header for programming.  You must use the PicKit 3 since the part is not supported with the PicKit 2. 

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, »
I would doubt that is ever going to happen.  Basically the board has to be assembled before the pic can be programmed.  This is surface mount technology and while there may be a way to program the pics before they are soldered on, I for one would not trust the programming is still correct after going thru the surface mount attachment process.  I also doubt that any of our coop managers would have this technology available to do it in there home.  What is wrong with programming it yourself.  Everyone who is building diy stuff should have a pickit or clone and be able to program chips themselves.  In my opinion anyone who does not have that capability is running the risk of having other problems down the road.  Back when wireless was in it infancy there were changes made to the firmware to fix problems and if you did not have any programming capability you would just shut down the wireless and maybe parts of your show while you mailed you chips off to someone else.  That does not make sense to me.  In terms of the total cost of this hobby the cost of a pickit is rounding error.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Halstaff

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, »
So is this all we need to program the ether dongle - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ?

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, »
Look here the pickit has been discussed further :)
Sebastian from California

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, »
I knew that EtD had some surface mount parts, but I haven't pulled out my kit to see that the pic was mounted in such a way.  It all makes sense in that light.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, »
Halstaff - the answer to your question is yes.  You posted the link to the PicKit 3 that is used to program the Etherdongle and all the other processors used in the equipment here.

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, »
For a Coop manager to program each one of these boards it would mean having to install the ISP header and a capacitor for signal on the board, which would mean an added cost and time.  I know that the whole programming aspect may appear intimidating but don't fret.  Just roll up your sleeves and get after it. 

With this hobby you have a learning curve that you have to be willing to take and you may run into the magic blue smoke (I've done it).  But, that is what helps you learn and you learn more from a screw up and repair than you would if you had someone do it for you.

Long post short don't be afraid to roll up your sleeves and get after it!
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, »
Don't forget, we have the programmers list for those who don't have a programmer or aren't comfortable with programming PIC's.

Rich

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, »
Did every one notice that another firmware update was just posted.  One more reason why everyone should own their own Pickit!
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA