Author Topic: old laptop  (Read 1866 times)

Offline royce

old laptop
« on: February 01, 2012, »

I got a old sony laptop. What is the minimun required and the recommended requirement to run vixen. Don't want to put time and money in this if its not going to work. Thank for the help. 

Offline rm357

old laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, »
Don't know about vixen, but if you are using xlights as the player, almost any old piece of junk that will run xp will do ok. I use my good machine for sequencing, but I have xlights running on an old centrino laptop. It's like 8 or more years old and was not top of the line back then...

RM

Edit - I was running about 3000 channels of pixel net in 2011. LSP drove my new i7 laptop to its knees, but once the file was converted to an xseq file in xlights, no more problems, even on the old machine.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
Re: old laptop
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, »
I also use an antique 9 year old laptop to run my show. I used xlights and it ran flawlessly.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, »
Visit the Vixen wiki:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Just about any computer 10 years old or newer should support DIY projects. Performance may vary depending on channel count, lighting controller, and various other configurations.
  • Processor - 486 or greater
  • Memory - 128MB or greater
  • Hard Drive - 2GB or greater
  • OS - Windows 98 or newer with the Microsoft .NET Framework installed.

\dmc

Offline zwiller

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, »
Personally I think anything less than 160 channels is fine for an old beater unless you're doing some heavy stuff. 

Ahh, I remember the old days when I thought I was going to cop out at 98 channels.  Now with RGB I am considering 4k channels and looking at i7's...    ;D
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, »
Someone just posted a thread recently that they were using an old laptop and had to use a cross cable out to the dongle cause the old circuitry didn't auto config.  Just an FYI in case you run into same.

Leon
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, by WWNF911 »
Leon

Offline royce

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, »
  Thanks for all your info. Just found out i got keyboard issues. The doctor said it's not worth saving let it die, so it's in laptop heaven. Thank's again

bryan      :'(

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, »
Buy a $5 keyboard from goodwill and connect ti the laptop... You are back in business.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline royce

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, »

That wasn't the whole story. I  told the little woman i had to bury it. So now i'll get another lap. Old lap was 2001 model. At least I will if she don't see this post. 

Offline Slite

• Blinky Blinky Lights
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, »

That wasn't the whole story. I  told the little woman i had to bury it. So now i'll get another lap. Old lap was 2001 model. At least I will if she don't see this post.

Isn't that the "standard" way of sneaking new kit past the better half? By claiming that the old one broke... :)

/Stefan
Blinky Blinky Lights!