Author Topic: 12 volt battery to power smart strings?  (Read 3513 times)

Offline sittinguphigh

12 volt battery to power smart strings?
« on: February 02, 2012, »
I plan to use a 12 volt battery to power 4 smart strings.
Do I need any invertor or power supply to keep the voltage strong at 12 volts?
I know I need enough amps to supply the smart string lights.
This is going to be a mobile unit.

Thanks

What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: 12 volt battery to power smart strings?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, »
I wouldn't run them while any charging was going on.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rm357

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, »
I've run the strings on as little as 5v using the tester from Ali express - they are just not as bright. However, i think the 7805 voltage regulator in the ssc will drop out in the 6 to 7 volt range.

12 volt should not be a problem as long as the battery holds out (4 amps/string is a lot).

I would be concerned about using them in a vehicle as most vehicles tend to run at either 13.8 or 14.1 volts when the engine is running. This extra voltage is needed to recharge the 12v battery. I don't know how well the nodes will tolerate the extra voltage...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, »
A 12v car battery is not 12v. It is near or slightly over 13v. Put a meter on one. Put a meter on your car's battery while running and not running. It is very high right after starting the engine because the charging system sees the reduced voltage from the high starting current. I like using car batteries as a source because they have ZERO noise in the power. But you have to keep them charged. If you don't mind recharging the battery after every show, it is great. If one battery isn't enough, get two. I bought a car battery that was a replacement for my truck. Off-season spare. I used it on a parade float so that I didn't need a noisy gasoline powered generator.

If you want to run a battery powered show while also connected to a battery charger, the biggest concern from an AC powered battery charger is noise. When charging, a battery is unaffected by any AC noise on the cables, so most chargers make little attempt to reduce it. That noise (sometimes called "ripple") MAY affect your controllers. A Ferrite bead on the power line to each SSC will reduce the noise some, but they aren't terribly effective for 50 or 60hz (low frequency) noise.

When you buy and use a regulated 12vdc power supply, it will be 12vdc, and usually be low noise. Some can be adjusted higher and could match a car battery's voltage. You probably would not see a brightness difference in your LEDs because at 12V or 13V, the LEDs are in a flat part of their intensity curve (i.e., a 10% voltage increase would probably only get a 1% brightness increase).

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, »
I think the point you guys are missing is. SittingupHigh is NOT using a car. He is on a horse in a parade

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, »
You  have that right Rick no charger. The smart strings run at 12 volts. So how important is it that the battery stay at 12 volts? If that's important then how do I make that happen?

Mort

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, »
Anything under 80 modes will run one lower voltage and just be dimmer down to a completely flat 12v battery. the thing is the car battery is really more like 12.7 - 13 volts when full. But voltage drop on the wire should keep the extra in check.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, »
Not sure what 80 modes is all about. But I think your saying is I should be able to run the lights with just a battery. Will the battery keep at 12 volts threw out the amp hours?

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, »
i went and looked at the specs on my car battery.

Cold Cranking Amps:
590 amps
Cranking Amps:
737 amps

i know that has a lot to do with current being maintained for 30secs to a car.   but with a 4amp smart string, it should provide enough power.

a fully charged battery provides 12.6 volts (2.1 volts per cell) so maybe by playing around with how charged it is, should help.

also, i think they make 12 volt regulators for ~12v sources like a car battery. so even with 12.6v you'd still get 12v out

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, »
I would use a "Deep Cycle" RV/Marine battery if it were me. They are designed for a slow drain and recharge. They will handle a slow draw much better than a car battery and will last much longer. The only problem with a "Deep Cycle" battery is that you will be limited on size choices.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, »
too bad 12v latern battery don't have enough amps...   hate to carry a car battery on horseback

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, »
Sealed battery for a computer UPS would be a good choice. Same voltage as a car battery but more like a deep cycle in operation.

If it is for a horse (as it says somewhere above), put one on each side to balance the load!

Offline rm357

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, »
The amp hour rating is the important number. That represents how much energy is contained in the battery.

Unless you are talking about a crazy bunch of lights for an extended period, I'd probably go with the 12 volt gel cell type battery. Mcmelectronics is a good place to look, although it always pays to shop around.

Rm
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, »
Thanks guys. What I want to do is also use the new conductor RJ is coming out. Not sure how much power that uses. Then also some high efficiency speakers one on both sides. Maybe 96db or higher. Not to big maybe 8 inch coaxles. So I need power for that. Maybe 10 watts per channel. So I was I thinking small lithum battery with maybe 40 amps at least. Does any one have any corrections in china. I  have seen ones on line but you have to a buy a 100 at a time.

Mort

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, »
i pity the horse...