Author Topic: Dongle COM Port Question  (Read 4373 times)

Offline mmais68569

Dongle COM Port Question
« on: February 02, 2012, »
I just built & tested 2 dongles, 1 as a back up to the one I have & the other in case someone may need one.
The original dongle uses COM port 8
              Backup dongle 1 uses COM port 7
              Spare uses COM port 5

All are plugged in separate so no 2 at once,
Question: Why are all these on separate ports????????

This would mean if I need to change to a backup while running the show all my profiles in Vixen would be wrong & need to be changed. Any ideas?

Thanks Mike

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: Dongle COM Port Question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, »
They are on different ports because the should be.

Each of the USB to RS485 chips have a "burned in number." One of my Lynx dongles is DPB3LBJP. The others are all different and unique. My EntecPro is EN093198. Also different.

When you plug it into a Windows PC, it gets scanned, logged and assigned an available COM port. AVAILABLE is the key.

I have two computers, one to run the show, the other to program and possible back up. When I first plugged in a Lynx dongle, it was assigned a different COM port on both. I immediately edited the settings so that each specific dongle ALWAYS gets the same COM port on both machines. I use LOR S3 and it makes things much easier that way.

But, to your original question - Windows really won't let you assign them all to the same COM port. It will fight you and you will lose. Instead, just mark the 8 digit code and COM # on the side in Sharpie and carry on.

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, »
I change the default comport number all the time. In comport settings in the device manager look for "advanced" settings and switch comport number. Even though it may say assigned already switch it anyway. This would be done when you need to have the backup on same port as failed dongle.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, by dpitts »

Offline rm357

Dongle COM Port Question
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, »
You can set multiple dongles for the same com port number as long as you never plug more than 1 in at a time.
With two plugged in, windows will sense and then resolve the conflict...

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
But, to your original question - Windows really won't let you assign them all to the same COM port. It will fight you and you will lose. Instead, just mark the 8 digit code and COM # on the side in Sharpie and carry on.
Not quite.  You can right-click on the COMx port in windows Device Manager and reassign the COMx port to what you want.  You just cannot have conflicts while multiple devices are connected at the same time.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, »
Just curious, what would happen if two dongles was plugged in at the same time with the same com port?

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, »
Just curious, what would happen if two dongles was plugged in at the same time with the same com port?
Windows would use the USB auto-detection code to reassign the second one to a free COMx port. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, »
USB requires a USB serial number to differentiate similar items...  whil working on the technical specs they realized that someone could in theory plug in 127 items of the same piece of equipment and that there would not be any way to tell them apart with out something unique to go from.

the original thought was that if someone really liked a printer, they would most likely get the same one if for some reason they needed 2. without using a unique identifier, when someone would print a document, then it would come out on both printers which in most cases would be unacceptible.

do matter how exact you tried to make it, even it you could arrange for both dongles to be plugged in at the exact same moment in time, Windows would still see one device plugged in before the other, setup the first one. then detect the 2nd one and try to use settings there not being used.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, »
O ok, i was hoping it wouln not do something bad to the computer. Plugin a ether dongle (which i know is the same almost as regular except it 4 of them) would work the same right? And could i run a ether dongle, as well as, a regular dongle at the same time with light show pro. Because i really dont wanna have to change my set up for just the dmx 512 stuff.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, »
with the current eD (EtherDongles) if you put 5 of them on the network with the current firmware (assuming all pixelnet, or all dmx) then they would all respond to the same range of channels. 1-16k, or 1-2k respectively.

i don't know how they'd react to being plugged in, and being set for different protocols.
most likely the 1-2k channels on one eD (DMX) mimicing the first 2k channels on a eD(pixelnet)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, »
O ok, i was hoping it wouln not do something bad to the computer. Plugin a ether dongle (which i know is the same almost as regular except it 4 of them) would work the same right? And could i run a ether dongle, as well as, a regular dongle at the same time with light show pro. Because i really dont wanna have to change my set up for just the dmx 512 stuff.
The usb dongles connect to your computer directly using usb cables and communicate through COM ports.

With EtD the devices connect over your IP-based ethernet.  you can place them wherever your ethernet extends, including over wireless if you choose.  They do not use COM ports, but your computer speaks to them using multicast IP addresses.

As chris mentions, all EtDs on the network will listen to the same channel list.  but you could have one EtD sitting across the street and using some or all of the channels that you have on this side of the street.

i think we are all expecting that RJ will extend the firmware and configuration tools at some point to allow multiple EtDs to have unique channel configurations.  but for now, you have to work hard to exhaust the number of channels 16K that are available to you.  And if you needed more channels you can still use the older dongles alongside EtD.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, »
I think that what you are expecting may not happen.  The game plan for super high channel counts and multipe houses is to use the conductor and that makes perfect sense.  You load the first 16K into the first one and every other 16K into a different one and then all that needs to be sent over the network would be what show to start and a timing signal to keep them syncronized.  Little to no bandwith required and they will even work with unreliable connections. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, »
i see.

its a change in mindset... and like any change, I may bridle at the idea.  :-\     ???     ::)    :-X

I'm thinking if I'm like that Ryan ####### fellow, I have 50-bajillion sequences that I want to use.  I've got a dozen show tunes from the Roaring 20's for Tuesday.  And I have sentimental favorites from Twilight on Wednesdays.   I would't expect a large catalog of sequences to fit on the conductor, and so locating control and sequences and music on my computer still has considerable value. 

When adding something new... I tend towards keeping the old model still functional, until all kinds are worked out and the users are able to make that paradigm shift.

sorry all for muddying the waters by communicating that "unique addressing" was the plan of record.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, »
I don't know what he will be using for storage but flash drives are already exceeding 32 GIG and climbing.  While these fantasy display numbers sound impressive, who really has the time to create and set them up?  Most of us are DIY guys setting up Christmas displays on our houses and while many of go beyond the average decorations .....  When  those select few people create massive displays that rival and exceed large commercial displays then they should probably be using high end commercial equipment and that's not what this is.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, »
I don't know what he will be using for storage but flash drives are already exceeding 32 GIG and climbing.  While these fantasy display numbers sound impressive, who really has the time to create and set them up?  Most of us are DIY guys setting up Christmas displays on our houses and while many of go beyond the average decorations .....  When  those select few people create massive displays that rival and exceed large commercial displays then they should probably be using high end commercial equipment and that's not what this is.
Yea who has time to program all of those channels, i am busy with college most of the time. I was good getting a low channel count display out.