Author Topic: "Claus Curriculum" Announced for the 2012 Academy!  (Read 823 times)

Offline Ryan Johnson

The spirit of Christmas is epitomized in one of our favorite iconic figures: Santa Claus! We’ve had classes on Santa at three previous Academy events with two very good real-bearded Santas. It has been fantastic to see and hear about those professionals who make memories at corporate events, parties and malls across Texas. But what about the beginner Santa? What about the people (like many of us!) who don’t grow the real beard? What about doing this for fun or charity and not for any type of profit? How do you get started and become a Santa like this?

In 2012 the Academy is bringing a series of classes all about Becoming Santa, starting at square one. Whether you have never been Santa but have always wanted to don the big red suit, or you have been Santa in the past but want to get better, we hope to make this an experience that you can take away from and help bring smiles to your display visitors and other holiday festivities.

Santa 101: The Very Basics (Including the History of Claus)
Where do you start when you want to become Santa Claus? The best place to start is always at the beginning. We’ll kick things off by learning who Santa Claus is, where the legend came from, and what it means to become the most photographed celebrity in the world. The basics of being Santa start right here.

The Magic Suit
“In putting on the suit and entering the sleigh, the wearer waives any and all right to any previous identity, real or implied, and fully accepts the duties and responsibilities of Santa Claus, in perpetuity to which some time the wearer becomes unable to do so, by either accident or design.” This famous line from the classic film “The Santa Clause” perfectly sums up this course. It’s not a costume, it’s a suit and the powers it possesses are purely magical. This class will help you with suits: styles, materials, quality and resources for purchasing one of your own. There is much more to a Santa suit than the price tag; it’s truly about the person inside the suit that makes the magic come alive.

Beard, Wigs, Mustaches & Make Up
You have your suit and you’re starting to feel like Santa. Up next is what to do about your face (and head). With so many different options and styles of beards out there it can be hard to pick the best one for you. This class will show you the various options and where to buy them. Also, we will show you methods of applying a glue-on beard and mustache and even how to add a little make up so your cheeks glow a bit in your photos.

Dealing with Kids & Parents
Regardless of when you do your Santa Claus gig there are two things you’ll have to face: Kids and (even worse sometimes) their parents. Most are perfectly nice and respectful of your Santa-ness but then there are the ones that you will never forget… and not for good reasons! We’ll discuss how to handle those tough crowds and even tougher questions that come with the territory.

Photographs: Do's & Don’ts
When you put on the suit you become the big guy and a major part of that is getting your photo taken. You’ll have big kids and little kids, shy kids and rude kids, children with special needs, entire families and even pets! We’ll cover how to be a good Santa “model”, tips for getting the best from a photographer, and what to do when things don’t go quite the way you planned.

Accessories to Enhance Santa
Your image is complete: your suit fits just right and feels comfortable. You look in the mirror and see yourself with a full beard and a twinkle in your eye. You know the history of Santa, how to interact with people and get great photos. So what else could you do to make an unforgettable experience for your visitors? This course will offer ideas and best practices that will get your mind moving.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, by Ryan Johnson »

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
Re: "Claus Curriculum" Announced for the 2012 Academy!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, »
The spirit of Christmas is epitomized in one very iconic figure: Santa Claus!

Ryan,

You are a neighbor and friend, so you know I say this with the best of intentions. While Santa is certainly iconic, there are a number of us here who believe the spirit of Christmas is epitomized by the birth of Jesus Christ.

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline Ryan Johnson

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, »
The spirit of Christmas is epitomized in one very iconic figure: Santa Claus!

Ryan,

You are a neighbor and friend, so you know I say this with the best of intentions. While Santa is certainly iconic, there are a number of us here who believe the spirit of Christmas is epitomized by the birth of Jesus Christ.

Matt

Matt-

You're right, in some folks opinion at least.  That should have said:

"The spirit of Christmas is epitomized in one of our favorite iconic figures: Santa Claus!"

I was able to go back and modify that line.  Thanks for pointing that out Matt- my intention certainly wasn't to offend anyone.

And we're not friends anymore since you're being mean to me!  ;)

NOTE: For those who are unaware, when Matt says "friend" he means it.  We've been to each other's homes, spent time on the phone in the past, and have attended many LSH events together.  So I do value his opinion and I'm only joking with him when I say he's being mean to me!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, by Ryan Johnson »

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, »
I think i'll by attending tomorrow.  Should i bring the incan light tester with me?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Ryan Johnson

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, »
I think i'll by attending tomorrow.  Should i bring the incan light tester with me?

YES!