Author Topic: spot light  (Read 5906 times)

Offline grumpy2076

spot light
« on: February 04, 2012, »
Im thinking of using these with the mr16 controler, is there any resson i cant, they are 35 watts each but cant find out how much amps they use.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, by grumpy2076 »
Hey, it's like that old goat says: Rule 11: It's all just a game, so let loose and have fun with it! I mean, a casualty or two along the way is no big deal, right?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: spot light
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, »
In the description it mentions:
Powered by a low-voltage Malibu transformer for long-lasting lighting

This is a 12V AC (not DC!) power source.   

This will not work with a MR16 which uses DC voltage -- modifiable, but usually 12V DC.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline grumpy2076

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, »
MMM thanks steve i almost made a big mistake lol now to plane B, wait whats plan B  <fp.
Hey, it's like that old goat says: Rule 11: It's all just a game, so let loose and have fun with it! I mean, a casualty or two along the way is no big deal, right?

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, »
If it is a 12 volt halogen bulb, why wouldn't it work on 12 VDC??  As long as there is not a transformer in it.  I know the coiled filiment may add a little reactance but you could always 'dim' it a little if needed. 
35 watt @ 12 volt would be about 3 amps   35/12
Am I missing something?
Roy

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, »
If you are looking for spot/floods you can use 110v incandescent, LED, etc. with an LE (Lynx Express) controller.

If you are going with 12v MR16, you can create  floods out of 12v parts... there are products for sale, like rainbows.  In my case, I took a $5 home depot halogen work light, tossed asside it's guts, and replaced them with 10 5050 RGB nodes  (30 color changing LEDs altogether).  With this you can use a MR16 with 3 of its 16 channels to control this... but you can choose any color throughout your song.  Cost for the nodes... about $5 more. 

And another choice -- and my favorite for brightness is the AetherII.  This DOES use 12V AC, and it provides a powerful RGB light.  When the coops open for this, I plan to get a few more.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, »
A incadescent light bulb will work on ac or dc voltage.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, »
A incadescent light bulb will work on ac or dc voltage.
hadn't tried it.  good to know.  are there any gotchas? 

(i figured with mentions throughout the forums of rectifiers, bridges, and stuff that I have no idea what purpose they serve... that it was better to use AC with products designed with AC in mind.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, by Steve Gase »

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, »
A rectifier turns ac to dc voltage. A led can only run on dc current; and also a led is a one way direction for current. Ac current alternates. With incas all that needs to be done is heat up the filament. So it does not matter as long as it causes a short across the filament and it heats up causing light.

Here is a link to a interactive diagram on pbs.com which might explain incas better.

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, »
And you will need to make sure the mr16 is not overloaded on that channel with that 35 watt bulb.

Watts/volts=amps

35watts/12 volts =2.91666 amps  That is almost 3 amps of current on one channel.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, »
from the manual...

Do not attempt to control more than 2.5 amps per channel from the MR16 controller. This is about 15 of the MR16s I am using per channel. I also recommend you keep the total controller current under 35 amps if possible.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, »
Grumpy:

If you really want the rock facade, you can probably buy a smaller MR-16 bulb and take out the existing one and replace it.

\dmc

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, »
yea a mr16 led is what is needed. That halogen will just pull way to much power for a mr16 channel to handle.

Offline grumpy2076

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, »
i was thinking about this bulb

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, »
i was thinking about this bulb
Wow that bulb is 50.00 dollars a piece. It would not work with a mr16 as individually controlled colors. That particular bulb has a built in circuitry.

Here you can get individual colors of mr16's at a resonable price.

The mr16 controller is not capable of controlling rgb like in the pixxelnet setup.  Each channel of the mr16 would be a color. So channel 1 is red, 2 is green, 3 is blue. Only able to do 5 sets of the 3 colors;and channel 16 left over.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, by holland lights »

Offline grumpy2076

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, »
i was looking more at this i posted the wrong web site