Hardware > Bobcat DMX Tester

Plastic case guidance ...

(1/4) > >>

dmaccole:
Finally built up the board last night and am now faced with working on the case. Guidance on these aspects would be appreciated:

*Only six screws shipped with mine; I'll need four screws to attach the board to the case. Ideas about size would be appreciated.

*Thoughts on how to attach the battery clips ... I'm thinking a good multipurpose adhesive (Amazing Goop being my favorite) or maybe hot glue. They certainly don't seem to press-fit attach. Any other ideas?

I plan to use a Dremel tool (both cutting wheel and drill bit) and a nibbler tool to cut the holes. Thoughts?

Thanks.

\dmc

cBell:
As far as case cutting goes, I used various Dremel tools to cut mine, but it wasn't pretty.  I initially cut to the exact lines that the template had, but after using a hobby knife to clean up the edges, the holes were considerably bigger than they should have been.

If I were to do it again, I would use the Dremel to get about 1/8 or more away from where I want the end result to be, then use the hobby knife to finish the holes to get a perfect fit.

My battery terminals do seem to be press fit, they kind of "latch" in.

bisquit476:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

reply #202 is how I did mine, although I'm going to change up a little because the switches needed covered in the way I did it then. Hope this helps,

Bill

chrisatpsu:
my soldering iron came with an exacto blade tip, i'm gonna use it for my cuts.

then i want to print a mirror image on the back side of a transparancy to give the case a professional look. and only cut out for the switches, and dial. (the transparancy will cover the digits, but being clear at that part)

oh yeah, i plan to print a mirror image so that the ink will be on the back, hard to scratch off or smear.

dlhoppe:
The battery clips will just snap in. No need to glue. It was kind of confusing when I first looked at them. I was trying to put them in upside down. Just spend a little time and you'll see how they slide into the slot and click. Better not snap in the ones that get soldered until after the wires are connected.

I guess we missed on the PCB screws. I believe I used a #3 x 3/16". Looks like there will be some trips to the hardware store. Need to get the PCB screw in the BOM.

For the cutting, look in the original thread for a template someone made. Use it to mark the case and cut inside the lines til you get a uniform opening that fits.

Please post your results. I'd like to see some finished units.
Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version