Author Topic: Raspberry Pi - An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Rikkdance

Raspberry Pi - An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25
« on: February 06, 2012, »
So I am very new to this forum and if I am honest I do not know a lot about the subject that I am creating this new topic about but I thought it could be of interest.
So as none of you know, my job is a Storytelling and Creative Narative 3D Designer and I have currently been researching new ways of creating interactives and running media servers for small scale projects and exhibitions.
If you dont know in the industry the servers for things like this are MASSIVE. So what I have been looking into is a way in which I could scale this down and then I stumdbled upon this project..

Raspberry Pi. -You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

As I was looking into this and the prospect of using it as a wireless 'The Cloud' Style server it hit me...
With it been the same size of a credit card this would be such a good use for the christmas light displays in many ways. Using it on a wireless style so you can link many channels around your home together without the need to run cable and be able to do so in a small space.
And to create Stand Alone shows, very much like the light-o-rama style. Except very in expensive, and the ability to run what ever you wanted from it and even the ablity to plug a monitor or screen into it.
From what I believe these systems come in 256mb of Ram, which is not a lot I know but more than enough to run a light show with the correct hardware, they are able to run 1080HD Films perfectly so should be fine.

I hope this can be of help to some of you which have longed for a system that could be adaptable like this.

Taken from their website:
What’s a Raspberry Pi?

The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. It’s a capable little PC which can be used for many of the things that your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games. It also plays high-definition video. We want to see it being used by kids all over the world to learn programming.

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
Re: Raspberry Pi - An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, »
Very interesting! Thanks for posting.

Just to clarify, for $25 you get 128MB of memory and no ethernet (though you can plug in a USB wifi stick). The $35 version will come with 256MB and wired ethernet.

I think I'm going to get one and try to get xLights to run on it. If I'm successful, I'll bring it to the Academy.

Matt
Matt Brown
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rimist

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, »
I would assume because it plays videos it has since kind of audio adapter. If xlights works on it, I can be more patient about the conductor.

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, »
arm processor, kinda like the processor from an older android tablet.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, »
It has an HDMI port and a standard audio output jack, you can pick up audio from either port. It looks like several Linux distributions are being prepared for it, Red Hat will be the primary distro.

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline rimist

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, »
That will be sweet. I've already got plans for two, unless one could do the job. One for firewall/ parental control/ logging, one for xlights
Edit-
Make that three, one for my mom to have a web browser that my sister won't steal
-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline Rikkdance

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, »
SET YOUR ALARMS...

From the Raspberry Pi website.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation will be making a big (and very positive) announcement that just might interest you at 0600h GMT on Wednesday 29 February 2012. Come to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to find out what’s going on.

Offline thestig

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, »
already have it set. I am gonna pick one up for fun to mess around with!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, »
To All

This post is lock as it appears to be advertising. Due to it being the only content from original poster.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required