Author Topic: what was your first sequence?  (Read 3319 times)

Offline winwin

what was your first sequence?
« on: February 08, 2012, »
Hi,

I am curious to know what song you chose for your first sequence with Vixen.

If you had to redo it, would you choose something different?

What makes a song easy to sequence and what makes one difficult?

Basically, which song would you recommend for a newbie to start with Vixen and why?

Thanks for your input.
AL.

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
Re: what was your first sequence?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, »
I chose Disney's Main Street Electrical Parade.  If I had to do it again would I chose something different... maybe.  There's a lot going on throughout the whole song which in my mind makes it a little more difficult, however, I always like a challenge.  I did learn the short cuts quickly and what works/doesn't work.  It took a few months to finish only because I was helping with a remodel, my brother was getting married, I needed to build mini trees, and there were times when I became so frustrated that the time off was probably healthy.  At one point I approached my brother about blinky flashy at the wedding reception and he wasn't sure he could sell it to his wife.  LOL.  But now, an RGB arch would have to be in the budget, but I digress...

For my first song I chose not to do a Christmas song only because I knew I would have to listen to it over and over and over and over I would be sick of it come Christmas time.  For a first sequence I would stick to something instrumental as I think it's easier to hear all the components of the song (bass, drums, melody, etc.)  I would also recommend something short.  The theme to 2001 or the Fox fanfare would be good (and then you could use those as intros to your show.)

I used the Mr. Christmas rig before doing my own and the way that works is it divides your display into 6 components: Top Left and Right (icicles), Middle Left and Right (windows), Bottom Left and Right (yard decorations).  This technique gives you up and down as well as left and right utilization.  I used this as a starting point and build on that depending on what the music does.  If the music is building to a climax I will gradually build up channel brightness.  If a piano has one part of a melody I will limit that to one side and then use the other side of the house for the other parts of the melody.  I have my arch chase on alternating bass notes.  The 2 channels of candy canes follow the bongo drums in one song.  The one thing you will find, everyone does things different.  This is how I started.  Now I'm looking at adding a mega tree this year and some smart items.   <fp.

This thread has some tips from other users:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Like everything else, practice makes perfect.  Good luck.   8)

Steve

Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Slite

• Blinky Blinky Lights
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, »
Another tip is... start with something uptempo instead of slow... for me it just feels more "natural" to sync to a song with a bit of tempo.

Also, I would suggest to start with a song where you can clearly hear the "beat" of the song, preferably bass or drums, lay those first and you have a good "ground" to stand on while you iron out the other parts of it...

Unless you do something stupid like i did and decided that it would be WAY cool to sequence "The Final Drumbattle" from the movie "Drumline" ... I have it done, but man.... that was a dog to sequence... but i think it will look quite neat :) The main part of that sequence are 5 minitrees on each "side" for the snares and the other items like arches, strings frames etc performing the bassdrums, cymbals and toms. It has taken me more or less 50 hours to sequence that song, but as I said.. I think it can look cool :)
Blinky Blinky Lights!

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, »
Another tip is... start with something uptempo instead of slow... for me it just feels more "natural" to sync to a song with a bit of tempo.

Also, I would suggest to start with a song where you can clearly hear the "beat" of the song, preferably bass or drums, lay those first and you have a good "ground" to stand on while you iron out the other parts of it...

Unless you do something stupid like i did and decided that it would be WAY cool to sequence "The Final Drumbattle" from the movie "Drumline" ... I have it done, but man.... that was a dog to sequence... but i think it will look quite neat :) The main part of that sequence are 5 minitrees on each "side" for the snares and the other items like arches, strings frames etc performing the bassdrums, cymbals and toms. It has taken me more or less 50 hours to sequence that song, but as I said.. I think it can look cool :)

Sounds cool!  I'd love to see a video of that!
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, »
I have been doing this for 4 years and have never sequenced a song from scratch.  I have a terrible sense of timing.  I have a huge library of stuff that I have downloaded and converted and used.  LOR, Vix 2.1, Vix 2. and now LSP.  I have learned how to modify and update sequences, but my starting from scratch skills are horrific.  I think I have started 4 different songs and just cannot get the sense of timing for them.  Thank goodness for folks that willingly share there hard work or I would not have a show.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline keitha43

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, »
I started by modifying Richard Holdman sequences back in 2007. Having his videos and animation screens taught me how fades worked and what the effects looked like. His were so good I still have some in my show. But you will be proudest of your own especially if someone requests one of yours.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, »
Holdman's sequences are also great examples of how to use color changes as opposed to blinky blinky blinky.  I still use several of his sequences modified to fit my own layout.  Great stuff and he is a master sequencer.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, »
I am not like most guys, sequencing is the most enjoyable part for me.  For a newbie, I suggest you pick a short song   ;D

Here is my first song warts and all cept for arches and aethers which added last year.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Sure it took a lot of time but it was my first one.  Not really that special but I was really excited to get the luminaries to match the music 3 years ago.

Pick a tune that you have an idea of what you want it to look like before you sequence it.  I suggest you become familiar with programming channel events with audio...  Once I got that down, I did this one in a few hours.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Now I am starting all over again since I moved to LSP for the advanced rgb features  <fp.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, »
Wizards in Winter was my first.

I don't think I would change it. I recommend something up tempo just because they feel more fun, and if possible find something with a distinctive pattern in it that jumps out at you. That will become a signature for you in the song and makes the sequencing easier.

I did We wish you a Merry Christmas as my 3rd song, and looking back that might be the only one that I would reconsider as a 1st song.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline winwin

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, »
Thanks all for the links and recommendations.

I have already started working on my first sequence (Ding Dong Merrily On High) and I am having a blast. However, I keep coming back to it and fine tuning it. It is not as easy as it seems and while I am still satisfied with what I am doing, I started to question whether for a first song the choice was clever. Was it a difficult one to start with or it is simply the way it goes when you sequence your music... slow and never good enough?
Obviously, being my first sequence, I am inexperienced with Vixen and I am learning as I use it. No question that I am getting better at it with all the hours already spent using this program.
I wonder if a melody with no singing is easier? I kind of agree that an uptempo and shorter music should be a good way to start... Maybe I'll find out with my second sequence, which I have no idea what it will be.

Thanks again for your replies.
AL.

Offline Greg

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, »
My first Vixen sequence was Mannheim Steamroller's "Deck the Halls" from the "Christmas 1984" album.

Even though I've heard and seen it what seems a thousand times (probably more), there is nothing I'd do to change it or my choice as the first sequence.  Solid beat, lots of stuff going on.

Greg 

....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, »
My first song was You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login by the Moscow Symphony. I sequenced it in 2008 and I still love it.

Nonetheless, I tinker with sequences every year ... what I played last December and what I played in December 2008 were about 85 percent the same, but I have made significant changes to the sequence over the years (not counting the added channels/props).

\dmc