Author Topic: Smart String Project 2012  (Read 25393 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Smart String Project..
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, »
the rainbow spotlight is just a dumb rgb device. the project so far can be connected to pixelnet via a smart string controller, or via dmx using the LT-DMX-1809 controller from Ray. It was a proof of concept idea i had to make a display device that was compatible with the SS stuff.

also, all i have to do, is connect one wire to the 1804 chip, and it would supply the data stream on to the next device. (it could be another project like this, or a node, or module, or strip. or, this project could be at the end of the string of nodes. or even in the middle.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline mikedbom

• NorthBridge Web Design
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2012, »
so these dumb LED strings are capable of changing colors but all nodes change at the same time.  is that correct?  If so, i like this idea for the yard animals.  I put two additional strings on my deer last year and it was just too much wire to look nice. 

can the dumb strings change to any color based on the hex color value?

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2012, »
Well, like I said before, this was just a proof of concept.  I'd wait for rj's dumb string controller.
I'm just seeing what I can come up with using the chips as building blocks for display elements.
One of mg goals is to rgb led my wireframe deer. But I also have other ideas with fully controllable rgb meteor lights, and some other stuff.

As I come up with my findings I usually try to post in here so everyone can see.

Offline mikedbom

• NorthBridge Web Design
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, »
yeah no worries Chris.  I'm just trying to figure out what you are doing.  the dumb string controller is intriguing but it would require an RGB LED string and not just your run of the mill Home Depot LED's correct?  forgive my ignorance.  otherwise you could not change colors.  I would definitely have a use for this as I only have limited use for smart strings at this point.   

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2012, »
I do not know the details of rj's designs. But I believe his dumb string controller would handle dc supplied rgb devices. Like a lot of people are buying the dumb flexible strips.

Btw, for anyone that doesn't know, dumb strips don't have a chip on them that can control parts of the string. Unlike the smart strings that do.
Example flex strips,
Smart string flex strips you can control the color for each individual led.
Dumb strips you can control the entire string' colors. But you don't have individual control.

In my post in the porch called dumb strips. I have a link to the ones I purchased. I plan on seeing if I can control those as well. I have a neat idea if I can.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2012, »
next episode of the smart string project!

this time I wanted to see how some plastic enclosures could handle being lit up by a smart string flex strip.

Video 1 - 1" thin wall PVC          VS         3/4" thin wall PVC
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Video 2 - 1" thin wall PVC          VS          inside corner Vinyl Siding.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, by chrisatpsu »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, »
You need a little more light on the subject.  I don't know what I'm looking at and unless these are the only display item you have on a cloudy moonless night with no street lights, this is not a realistic showing of what it would look like in a real display.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, »
it's just R&D, i'm trying different plastics to diffuse and apparrantly vinyl siding material is not a good choice.
i was hoping it was, b/c my house is white siding.  how cool would that be to illuminate from behind the siding!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, »
I think that Dmoore already did something like that by using white coro on his house.  I understand that it's just R&D but if you want the vid to be useful to others you might want to let a little light on the subject so people can see what you are doing along with some audio to help explain it as well.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2012, »
title should explain it...   thinwall vs siding...  you can see especially with the blue, the siding is not a good choice.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2012, »
I am having seizures. help.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2012, »
title should explain it...   thinwall vs siding...  you can see especially with the blue, the siding is not a good choice.

That's the problem dude.  I don't have any idea what I'm looking at or which one is which.  You know because you set it up and know which one is which but I don't have any idea what I'm looking at, title or not.  All I see are random lights flashing around which means nothing to me or probably anyone else. 

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
Smart String Project..
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2012, »
You need to look closely at the videos.  I believe I see two items in each, and a difference.  The second video I believe the siding is the lower items....

It would be better to slow the items down, and bring the lighting up in the room.
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2012, »
You need to look closely at the videos.  I believe I see two items in each, and a difference.  The second video I believe the siding is the lower items....

It would be better to slow the items down, and bring the lighting up in the room.

yes, you are right with the positions.

i can slow them down, but just wanted to do a quick video without being a long and drawn out thing.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2012, »
There is nothing wrong with doing a quick video but the video needs to be clear on what it is demonstrating.  A voice description of what is happening would be helpful along with a view in the light so that we can see what we are looking at.  Just showing two streams of llight in pitch black really shows nothing but two streams of light with no idea what is generating or diffusing the light or how it will look in a real display where there is some background light.  The fact that you are aking video's is really cool and it wouldn't take much to make them eaqually useful as well.