Author Topic: Interactive displays with xLights  (Read 7254 times)

Offline Greg Young

Re: Interactive displays with xLights
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2012, »
My Xlights request, months ago was much more basic. I currently run LOR and use input triggers (6 to be exact) which are selected from a "visitors' control panel" that I built, which is in the parking area.
All a visitor has to do is to reach his/her arm out of the window of the vehicle and push one of the red/green or blue 2 inch diameter plastic buttons to select their song. It's gotten very popular, and it for this reason alone I have not explored using other software (Xlights, LSP, etc)

The trigegrs offer no rf/wifi/other concerns. No need to offer instructions in the display on how to make selections, other than on the panel which says "push button to select song".
If folks go the smart phone/wifi route, how would you plan on telling folks :
1) it's available
2) how to connect to it
3) and even possibly how to use it
Seems like a lot of information to convey to people that drive up to watch the lights, who half the time don't seem to read the much shorter message signs many of us have.
Remember a few years back how many had trouble even getting folks to realize the blinking lights were sync'd to music transmitted on FM?
It sounds like a neat idea, but because of the above I am not sure how practical it would be...
Greg
Greg

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Interactive displays with xLights
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2012, »
I like the buttons idea, but I'd worry it would direct traffic to the buttons and block other viewers on my cul de sac ...  I still think the security concerns are overblown ... I'll just run the show on a junky laptop
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rimist

Re: Interactive displays with xLights
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2012, »
I see the benefit of a phone app, especially one that would show the light displays near you, so you could visit them, and also be used to interact with those displays that have that capability. I'm sure a well executed app with hints dropped for some news stations would get wide distribution.
Warning: controversial idea next
If the app could include advertising (perhaps payable to the author or DLA, that being between said author and RJ), then a paid (ad free),version could also exist, and that could be submitted to Amazon for free app of the day. Please note, the whole purpose of the ads would be to have a paid version that you could offer for free, which gets awesome distribution.

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist