Author Topic: DLA People Used Lights Purchase Question  (Read 1322 times)

Offline rfallatt

DLA People Used Lights Purchase Question
« on: February 14, 2012, »
Im kinda new and just getting into this "Sport" lol and I needed some helpfull informaiton.

I will eventually go all LED, but since I have alot of startup costs Controllers and such, I am going half Incandescent and half LED based on the placement of the lights. Anyway, I have an opportunity to get some used lights and my question is...

How much should I pay for used incandescent lights (assuming they are 1 or two years old, in good condition).

It appears that I can get 100 New incandescents for about 1.50-2.50 a box if you look hard enough, but I dont see any prices for used lights.

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
Re: DLA People Used Lights Purchase Question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, »
Thats a fair price. Ive seen them go for about $5 per box used.
Sebastian from California

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, »
IMHO

Used incan 100count strings shouldn't be more than $1.5 string unless they are 'commercial grade'. Unless you are really hard on  lights WalMart/KMart/Target lights work just fine.

New Incans 100 count strings shouldn't be more than 2.5/string new. If you are pruchasing a lot then you should get quantity breaks.

PM me and i'll point you to a new supplier at resonalble prices as compared to the majority of the off season suppliers.

Shipping may be as much as .50/string and allways request that they be unboxed and wrapped in newspaper or bubble wrap. The original  boxes add considerable weight and volume and increase shipping cost.

Hope that helps.

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, »
You can get new 100 incans for $2.79 at Target when they're "in-season."  Keep an eye out for estate sales and make a fair offer.  I would say $1-$2/box is appropriate depending on condition and age for incans.  You could always go "American Pickers" style and "package" the lights with extension cords as one buy.

I've never thought of this as a sport, but will from now on...

"...the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat..."

Welcome and good luck!

Steve
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline caretaker

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, »
Simple answer what ever price you can get them for.  That said you know the price for new strings so if you can pick up a used string for half or less then half of the price a new string your doing OK.  Best thing to do is try to buy stuff in a group,  if they have 20 100 count strings for a buck a string see if they will take 15 for all twenty. Oh an yea if you can get them to throw extension cords in BONUS!
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, »
Since you are new, people should give you used incans for free. All you need, just ask.  8)

All kidding aside, I would say .50 cents a string of 100 for used is a good price.

Keep an eye out in the classifieds there are always incans for sale new averaging about 1-1.50 a string.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, by SteveMaris »

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, »
I think the 100ct incan. minis are going to be more and more in demand each year, as the stores continue to  phase them out.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, »
Remember too that as color incandescent age, their paint wears, scratches, or fades. Affecting the color.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, »
I think the 100ct incan. minis are going to be more and more in demand each year, as the stores continue to  phase them out.

I really doubt that.  The LED's are much better now than they were and the price is getting more and more reasonable.  The low power requirements of LED's make them easier to use in every way, especially if you you don't already have wiring in place capable of dealing with the high power demand of icans.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, »
Don't forget that each string has plugs on each end for projects.  Each time I use one it's a savings from having to use a vampire plug.  Recycle the lights but save the ends.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, »
What I meant is that Incan. Minis are going to become more and more scarce ... Or difficult to obtain ... ESP at a low price per 100ct.   The days of .19 minis is gone.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, »
So Jeff, is the fuse in the ends an issue or concern, or do you just splice the wires onto spt2 ?

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, »
I use the female end for 12 volt applications.  Yes I know be careful.  I solder the male ends to spt1 for all kinds of things.  I.e arches.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, »
Don't forget that each string has plugs on each end for projects.  Each time I use one it's a savings from having to use a vampire plug.  Recycle the lights but save the ends.
I need to start doing this. I have plenty of spare incan. strings to use.

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, »
Buying in lots from yard sales and estate sales in one way to get lots of lights in a hurry. Caveat, check the strings carefully for damage.  I have paid $5 for 4 strings of C9's and 6 strings of c7's ended up with a bunch of c9 and c7 sockets for other projects.  I won't put up a string that has damaged insulation for obvious reasons.  Do have 10 male and female plugs to use too though and a mess of good bulbs.  I paid $8 bucks for 2000 icicle and 1000 minis that were in perfect condition, it just depends on the sale.
R,
Tony "C"