Author Topic: Having trouble programming pic  (Read 5029 times)

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
    • Carter Christmas Lights
Having trouble programming pic
« on: February 14, 2012, »
Hello All, this is my first attempt to use or program a pic. I have tried several times to program my new Bobcat tester with no luck. Any help or direction would be great. Attached is a screen shot of what I'm getting.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: Having trouble programming pic
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, »
Are you using the 'PICkit 3' software or the MPLAB software. If you are using the MPLAB software go get the 'PICkit 3' and install it. As stated in the Wiki don't use the MPLAB to program the PICs.

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, »
I'm using the info found here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, »
Got it! Of course using the Pick it 3 software! Thanks MrChristmas2000!

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, »
No problem. Glad I could help.

Hope you have had success with your programming.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, »
I just tried programing my PIC for the DMX tester and I keep getting "Device not found" I pulled the PIC off the board and installed it in my J1Sys ICSP28 Adapter using a .01 cap between pins 6 and 8 and still getting "Device not found".
Using PICkit3 with PIKkit3 software and DMX Tester.hex file.  I have had no other problems programming any other PICs with the exception of this one.
Bad PIC?   
Jeff Squires

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, »
Caretaker,

Could be.  Make sure you select PIC18F24J10 for the PIC type in the programming tool.  Also if you are using the J1Sys Adapter, make sure you are using the correct jumpers (not sure what those would be!)  I programmed mine directly on the tester for both that I built.  Make sure that the if you are programming directly on the board, that the PicKit is seated correctly.  I had to slightly bend my 6 pin connector on the board so that the PicKit did not hit the PIC chip itself.

Good luck!

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, »
I am having the same issue caretaker.

Hopefully one of us figures it out:)

Mike

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline caretaker

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, »
Well I ordered 2 more PIC's from Mouser but they may not be here till for a week or two and I had them ship them with back orders I am waiting on. To refresh I did try program directly from the DMX tester board using the ICSP header and no luck then tried using the ICSP28 header from J1sys using the "l" jumpers and putting a cap between pins 6 and 8 and no luck there. So when I get my new PICs in I will know if it is a PIC problem.
Jeff Squires

Offline caretaker

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, »
UPDATE:
I got my new PIC's in from Mouser and could not program them on the board BUT was able to program it using my J1sys adapter using a 10mfd cap between pins 6 and 8. Bad news the board is still not working so I will have to do so more trouble shooting.
Jeff Squires

Offline rm357

Having trouble programming pic
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, »
The first time you use the pickit 3, you need to use the mplab software to update the pickit3's internal firmware. Then use the pickit 3 programming utility to actually program the pics for you boards.

You may have to reboot to get the computer to recognize the pickit 3 after installing mplab.

After the initial firmware update to the pickit, you can uninstall mplab. You won't need it unless you start writing your own firmware...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline caretaker

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, »
SUCCESS!  

I went back through the build process in the wiki and while I had everything soldered in correctly I did notice that my SN74HC125NE4 chip was in backwards  <fp.
I had failed to notice that it had a u shaped indentation on one end (noting pin 1) and a circular indentation at the other end (which I mistook for pin 1) So after after flipping the chip and applying power I was greeted to 256 showing on the display and everything checks out OK. It is kinda weird that with that chip in backwards it would prevent the pic from being programmed but regardless it is working now.  Thanks to Dave and everyone else who had input to help create such a useful device.
Jeff Squires