Author Topic: Pass through  (Read 2767 times)

Offline Walter

Pass through
« on: February 15, 2012, »
Dose the Express have any pass through to the DMX input to the output 1.  On LOR they have pins 1&2, 7&8 that pass through from input to output.  The reason I'm asking is I have made and alarm that will use one set of pins to create a loop with the comm cables. If the loop is open the alarm will sound and if closed it will not.

Walter
Walter

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Pass through
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, »
so you're asking if the other pins are passed through (besides 1&2)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, »
On the express, all the pins on DMX IN are passed to DMX OUT.  The connectors are wired in parallel.

Offline Walter

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
so you're asking if the other pins are passed through (besides 1&2)
   Yes I am. I know the signal goes through pins 1&2. 

On the express, all the pins on DMX IN are passed to DMX OUT.  The connectors are wired in parallel.

Is there data or power on Pins 3&4, 5&6, 7&8?
Walter

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, »
The DMX 1 output is a straight thru connection.  Whatever comes in goes out.  DMX 2 is a regenerated signal and has NO connections to either DMX in or DMX 1.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, »
Tbone beat me to it.... the express does nothing with pins 3,4,5,6,7,8 of DMX IN other than connect them to DMX OUT

Offline Walter

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, »
Thanks guys.  I have not worked with the express in a few years because I scaled back and just used LOR. Now I'm back into going BIG this year.

Walter
Walter

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, »
i would just watch, though, because even though they pass straight thrrough, for anyone else that is reading this thread. I don't know how much current you wish to push through, but they are just pcb traces.

Offline Walter

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, »
All I have done is taken one of the window alarms you get at Lowes and de-solder the magnet switch and solered in 2 wires and they will create a "loop". then made a jumper for the last controller.  with all the com. lines plugged in no alarm sound, as soon as a wire is removed I have sound. I also have tied it in to my alarm system for my house and they will call me. 
Walter

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, »
Good idea..

I am thinking, SORRY FOR THE SMOKE!!!!

Why not return the last express dmx light back to the hub. Then the alarm would go off if a wire gets pulled, or the dmx signal is lost.

Have fun
Have Fun!

Offline thestig

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, »
thats a very simple and brilliant idea Walter. I just might have to do this. 

Offline Zeph

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, »
All I have done is taken one of the window alarms you get at Lowes and de-solder the magnet switch and solered in 2 wires and they will create a "loop". then made a jumper for the last controller.  with all the com. lines plugged in no alarm sound, as soon as a wire is removed I have sound. I also have tied it in to my alarm system for my house and they will call me.

I partially understand - just by shorting two of the unused CAT-5 lines at the far end, you create a normally closed loop which (at the head end) can be tied to an alarm; anything which opens the loop sets off an alarm - unplugged or broken etc.

How does the modified magnet switch come into play, tho?  Is there some resistor being sensed or some such?

Offline rm357

Pass through
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, »
I think he used one of the cheap stand-alone alarms that have the magnet sensor built in. He just cut the wires off of the sensor and ran those to two of the wires in the cat5 cable.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, »
I never considered using the DMX Data cable for alarm usage as well. Since I had so much extra CAT5 cable from the 1000-foot box, I just used a separate CAT5 run hooked into the my house alarm and woven through all my equipment.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, »
be careful working on your display while the system is "armed" almost funny to work on some cabling to get a tap on your shoulder by a police officer!   lol