Author Topic: What do I need to use to connect to my AL Controllers  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Byron Polk

What type of cable or dongle, etc. do I have to have to communicate from LSP to my Animated Lighting controllers? 

The controllers I have are not currently DMX compatable.  They are just standard light controllers.  I am told that I can have them converted to DMX type controllers but I just want to control my standard lights not DMX type lights.

Offline rm357

What do I need to use to connect to my AL Controllers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, »
What kind of controllers do you have?
What do they need as far as control interface?

Everything on this board is pretty much DMX or pixelnet.

Whether or not LSP can control you lights would be better asked on the LSP forums.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Byron Polk

Re: What do I need to use to connect to my AL Controllers
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, »
My controllers are from the company name Animated Lighting.

I just though someone on here might have had some experience with setting up to communicate with the AL Controllers.

I know there is an option for specifying Animated Lighting controllers in LSP, but what I do not know is what is required to actually connect to them.

Thanks any way.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, »
I think you are going to want to hookup with someone like Bill V. on Planet Christmas.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline TheBanker

What do I need to use to connect to my AL Controllers
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, »
Maybe post a picture up.  Also I think you may be confusing the term dmx controlled lighting.  The language is DMx but the lights are just standard Christmas lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will

Offline urthegman

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, »
Posted this at the LSP forum as well. You will need a USB to rs485 interface converter. If you google it you will find a ton of them, they look like this   You can then cut the end off of a cat 5 cable that will be long -enough to reach your first controller. The green and green and white striped wires get twisted together and go to the GND pin, the blue and white goes to T- or D- and the blue goes to T+ or D+. Hope that helps.

Offline Byron Polk

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, »
urthegman,

Thank you so much for you very helpful information.  That was exactly what I was needing to know.

Now, if you don't mind, I have another question.

Can I use another type of connector to connect to Ranard 24 controllers and run them from the same LSP sequence?

If so, what connector do I need to connect to the Rehard controllers?

Thanks again.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, »
Honestly, I am not sure. If you post the question over at the LSP forums mmulvenna the expert over there I know uses renards and even though he visits over here. He is more likely to see your question over there. Also shop around for the converter shown above, I've seen them from $7 to $70. Sorry I couldn't help with the renards.