Author Topic: Beginner questions about the TX/RX and the EX/RX  (Read 6619 times)

Offline Zeph

I've made an attempt to decipher the wireless options.  Could you see if I've got it right?  (If so, perhaps this could go on the wiki).

----

First, look at the diagrams in this post:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

To clear up a couple of things in the diagram: the RX and TX are the same board, and the Lynx Express requires an add-on board.

There are three conceptual wireless modules in these diagrams (but made from only two "wireless" circuit boards):

The TX (Lynx Wireless Transmitter)  is a DMX to wireless adapter; consists of a "TX/RX" board jumpered for TX

The RX (Lynx Wireless Receiver) is a wireless to DMX adapter; consists of a "TX/RX" board jumpered for RX

The Lynx Express V2+ can become wireless enabled by adding a daughterboard called the "EX/RX" board which is an onboard wireless receiver

Lynx Express V3+ with EX/RX can also send out DMX to the next board; V2 cannot.

(the TX/RX board is either a TX or an RX; the EX/RX board is an RX daughterboard for the Lynx Express)

The EX/RX can be adapted to some other controllers by soldering a header connector to replace a controller's RS-485 chip, see:

Each TX can send one DMX universe (512 channels) at 50ms timing.  Each is configured to a DMX universe.

Each RX (or EX/RX) can receive one DMX universe, and is configured as to which one.  The boards it is connected to (onboard in the Lynx Express case, via DMX and RS485 in the RX case) will determine which addresses in that universe they respond to.  More than one RX (or EX/RX) can receive from the same universe.

------------

(You might be surprised how many places I had to look to discover the above; one can search the forum for a long time and not find the right post, and the wiki seems to be about "how to build it" but not "what is it?").  Then when you do find something in a search, like as not it has been obsoleted   :)  The great diagrams from RRowan were the first big clue, but I didn't understand that the TX and RX were the same board until I scanned the build instructions in great detail and found a step for setting the jumper.  Not complaining here, just describing what I see.  If there's already a simple page that puts it all together, I couldn't find it.)

There's probably at least one error in the above, but with correction I hope it help somebody else.  You can make it a sticky if you want; remove these side comments tho, or I can.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, by Zeph »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Beginner questions about the TX/RX and the EX/RX
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, »
HI Zeph

The able seems about right. Sorry for the confusion. When a device has options then it naturally is more confusing then a device that only has a single per pose. Example the TX/RX board with a jumper can be two different items either a transmitter or a receiver while the EX/RX is a Receiver only and less confusing what its purpose is.

Then again now you figure it out its not a problem for you now  ;D

"Learning is half the battle" {Two points to the members who know where that line comes from}

Cheers

Rick R.

P.S. stay away from the rrowan guy he is not right
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, »
G.I. Joe :)
Sebastian from California

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, »
I agree with Zeph about the wiki.  It does not provide a description of the product.  I was just on the phone with another member discussing which parts he would need to do a wireless setup.  We used to current coop list, looked at what others were ordering to figure out what each board did.
If a description could be added to the wiki or a sticky in each forum, It would greatly help us noobs.
Thanks
Roy

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, »
great write-up Zeph!

One thing that I didn't see explained so far... can you have multiple wireless networks?  I assume the answer is "no".  If you use all 512 channels over wireless, you are stuck.  You can still go wired for other dmx networks.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, »
The transmitters and receivers have three channels so you could have 3 seprate wireless networks provided that they don't interfear with each other.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, »
The transmitters and receivers have three channels so you could have 3 seprate wireless networks provided that they don't interfear with each other.
great news... thanks!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
Beginner questions about the TX/RX and the EX/RX
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, »
Got a question, if you have version 1 ex is the version 2 tx/rx compatible?

---
I am here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, »

---
I am here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There was a firmware update when the ver 2 was released to allow ver 1 to work with ver 2

Rick (wireless challenged) R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, »
Mike,
Yes it is. You need to use the firmware from the wiki on your v1. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline Heinekenator

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, »
Hello.

Just so I'm CRYSTAL clear, and to make sure I ordered the correct items in the wireless coop, will this setup work?

PC ==(usb)==> DMX dongle ==(cat5)==> TX/RX ==(wireless)==> Express with EX/RX ==(cat5)==> other Expresses/MR16s

Thanks!

-Greg

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, »
Yes that will work

One Note: The wireless Express you must use DMX output 2 only. Output 1 will not work as it won't have any dmx data on it since its tied to dmx in.

Rick R.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, »
btw, the quote is "AND learning is HALF THE BATTLE!"
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Diogenes

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, »
Forgive me if this is a stupid/simple question....

Can you use a TX/RX board with the Lynx Express or do you have to use the EX/RX

Thanks

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, »
The EX/RX board is designed to mount on the Lynx Express and is powered by the express.  The TX/RX will work with the express but it would need to be set to the RX mode and use a Cat5 cable connected to the DMX IN of the express