Author Topic: Beginner questions about the TX/RX and the EX/RX  (Read 6615 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Beginner questions about the TX/RX and the EX/RX
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
btw, the quote is "AND learning is HALF THE BATTLE!"

Amazing that you can correct a GI Joe quote but totally miss the fact that folks are asking for more info in the Wiki which you said you were going to do  <fp.  ;)

just saying

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, »
it's a lot of work...  and still working on it
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, »
Yeah I know about a LOT of work part but it doesn't have to be perfect. Just start posting stuff for people to help out with.

8)

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Diogenes

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, »
not to be too anal....but I think it's "And Knowing is half the battle"  :D

Offline mmorlan62

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, »
A most excellent summation Zeph.  Thanks for taking the time.  I've been struggling with finding information about each device, its function and functionality with other devices.  There's bits of info located in disparate places that would be best condensed into the Wiki pages.

I remember, when I got my first database programming job in my early twenties, how my boss had me start by documenting the existing system in all respects.  What he was doing was giving me an opportunity to crawl through the entire software library, learn it in detail, and quantify it for future programmers.

Perhaps, each device could have a Wiki (and sticky forum post) "What it does and What it Connects to" page that includes a comprehensive description and a couple example system diagrams.

I'd be pleased to help with that effort as Zeph has here.

M
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, by mmorlan62 »

Offline rm357

Beginner questions about the TX/RX and the EX/RX
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, »
Just to confuse things...

If you go for the wireless option on the DMX tester, it uses an EX/RX board with a few changes in the assembly (leave off a number of pieces, bend a header, and add a few jumpers) and a different firmware load...

Troll-ing along...
RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Zeph

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, »
The transmitters and receivers have three channels so you could have 3 seprate wireless networks provided that they don't interfear with each other.

That's good information, thanks!

Sooo, in practice DO the three channels all work without interference?  Are there limitations or restrictions?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, »
As with all things that transmitt, there is always the possibility of interference.  The lower channels are close to the ones used by wireless networks but many use them with success.  The only way to know is to get a transmitter and receiver and see what happens in different areas on different frequencies.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rm357

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, »
We do operate in the same 2.4GHz frequency band as wifi. The channels are offset, but if you are running wireless G, there are really only 3 non-overlapping channels and if you are using wireless N, it uses pretty much the whole frequency band...

If you are experiencing interference, try a different universe or, if possible, reduce the distance between the tx and RX.

RM
Robert

Offline Zeph

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, »
If you are experiencing interference, try a different universe.

That seems a bit extreme; I don't think that would have cut it as neighbor mollification when I was a ham...  Even moving a galaxy away ought to be plenty.

OH, you mean a different PAN?   :)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, »
No not PAN but universe on our wireless is actually a Freqency change.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rm357

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, »
LOL

The lynx wireless has two jumpers which allow you to select from one of three pre-assigned frequencies.

A standard wired DMX connection is 512 channels, which in the lighting industry is referred to as a DMX universe. Since the wireless is one wired DMX connection, we tend to refer to it as one universe.

If you don't have other interference, you can actually run 3 TX units at the same time on different frequencies, giving you 3 wireless universes of DMX.

Now if you use one channel per star, that would be 1536 stars in your yard. You neighbors might think you live in another universe...  :-)

RM
Robert

Offline Zeph

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, »
LOL

The lynx wireless has two jumpers which allow you to select from one of three pre-assigned frequencies.

A standard wired DMX connection is 512 channels, which in the lighting industry is referred to as a DMX universe. Since the wireless is one wired DMX connection, we tend to refer to it as one universe.

Thanks for clearing that up (connecting the DMX universe, which I understand, with the alternate frequencies of the wireless option, which is new to me).