Author Topic: RGBSB target model builder  (Read 4985 times)

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
Re: RGBSB target model builder
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, »
Sean

Thanks for the clarification and heads up.  <res.  This tool makes the hole visualization to sequencing thing a breeze. Oh and thanks for shading in the areas (light blue) that needed to be filled in, makes things a lot easier.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, by Rod R »

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, »
Hi all;

All of the original mega tree targets on the web page were 32 strands of lights, each strand had 35 pixels.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

i am getting ready to release the next phase of rgbsb.

Phase 1) user can create a target modeling their tree. DONE
Phase 2) User will select from the effects classes (Spirals, Bands, text, Pictures, Meteors, .etc.) , customize the effect and save it in their private library. IN PROGRESS. Probably will be finished within next 7 days.
Phase 3) User select a target model and and effect and produces an animated GIF. IN PROGRESS, This is 75% complete, it will come one oine within next 14 days. This will be a big deal for the users. With this release you can try hundreds of effects on your tree and get a visual idea of what different effects look  like. I think this ability to simulate your tree will be popular.
Phase 4) User now chooses to output their data into an xml file for the 3 different sequencers. 2-12 weeks.

I will also start writing a user manual when Phase 3 comes online.

So to give you an idea of what this might look like, i built a different target model. Instead of 32 strands x 35 pixels, here is effects projected onto a 48 strand by 60 pixel tree.

6 spirals, 100ms delay, only show front half of tree

The pictures, as expected, project with better clarity.

And finally, text looks better

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, »
Question/suggestion:

Should "pixel size" be introduced into your model?

With the current visualizations I see these nicely done pictures projected onto a tree and I think "that's nice!"  but I suspect when this is applied to my tree that the images may not be as recognizable.  My reason for suggesting this?  When I look at the nutcrackers I see one tree with a pixel size that is just as big as the gap between that pixel and the next.  in another nutcracker, the is very little gap.  i reality the smart pixels are about .39in... and the gap between pixels is 2.61in.

In a different element -- like a coroflake, the pixels sit behind corrugated plastic, and there is no "gap"... instead light from one pixel blends into the area of the pixels around it. 

there are other coro examples -- like david moore's candy canes -- where pixels are segregated into separate compartments so that there is little blending/bleeding. 

...in the coro examples we might define a pixel as a much larger visible area... maybe 3" circles or 3" squares.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, »
Fantastic Progress. Perhaps i will dive into doing a half RGB Mega Tree with your program.
Sebastian from California

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, »
Question/suggestion:

Should "pixel size" be introduced into your model?

With the current visualizations I see these nicely done pictures projected onto a tree and I think "that's nice!"  but I suspect when this is applied to my tree that the images may not be as recognizable.  My reason for suggesting this?  When I look at the nutcrackers I see one tree with a pixel size that is just as big as the gap between that pixel and the next.  in another nutcracker, the is very little gap.  i reality the smart pixels are about .39in... and the gap between pixels is 2.61in.

In a different element -- like a coroflake, the pixels sit behind corrugated plastic, and there is no "gap"... instead light from one pixel blends into the area of the pixels around it. 

there are other coro examples -- like david moore's candy canes -- where pixels are segregated into separate compartments so that there is little blending/bleeding. 

...in the coro examples we might define a pixel as a much larger visible area... maybe 3" circles or 3" squares.

yep, never any lack of tasks. We get one idea, it opens 3 more.

The answer is yes to all of your questions. They can be modeled more and more accurately. as Phase 3 of rgbsb (The ability to have your tree display your effects on an animated gif) comes online, I think people will want to use the tool to do some initial sizing.

So in gnuplot you can specify how big the dots are drawn (in world coordinates).

So i removed the background skeleton that i draw in gray. This was so people could visualize the tree.

Here are 4 images drawn in different dot sizes

0.3" dots

0.6"

1.0"

let gnuplot pick the default dot size

I dont think i can draw them exactly to size, because a gif images is not glowing like a light. maybe 0.6" is closest to real life?
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, »
i think that giving the user a knob to turn for the visualizer will be helpful.
1.0 and 0.6 still seem big to me, maybe 0.3 will be realistic... there are pretty big gaps for the lights.  but a knob is helpful in the design steps to assist with experimentation.  for example... there are people that add covers over the pixels to add more diffusion and make the bulb appear larger.  the knob would allow a video to test the overall effect before buying and installing thousands of covers.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, »
Hey Sean,

Can you make it so that you could run the Grid in a horizontal mode and vertical.  I know there were a few people talking about using  the rigid strips and flexible strips as a LEDTRicks II.  Would be cool since you are already developing the text option.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, »
Hey Sean,

Can you make it so that you could run the Grid in a horizontal mode and vertical.  I know there were a few people talking about using  the rigid strips and flexible strips as a LEDTRicks II.  Would be cool since you are already developing the text option.

Code for it is already finished. I just need to get the target models.

Yes, boy vertical and horizontal grids will be supported.

I have many plans for the grid displays.

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, »
New release of target modeler. Many people were getting some of the prompts wrong.

I have added logic to check ranges on a number of fields. I build a calculated tree given that you told me how long one string is. Your string is the hypotenuse of the triangle. If you are doing "UP/DOWN NEXT" or "UP/DOWN 180", i cut the hypotenuse in half.

Still, Alpha. Tool may break, data may be lost.
 I did need to reset at least half of the models. I am backing up the user and model table every few days.

so ...

Please try to create 1 or 2 models.

I have also removed these 3 prompts
1)orientation (Where is the front of the tree . I will add this back in later this summer. really not needed for now)
2) direction of rotation of strings , CW or CCW. Again this really does not affect us getting a model out. It will only affect if you want text scrolling right to left or left to right.
3) Type of string, CCR or smart string. again , i may need to add it back this summer, but it does not affect generating sequences

The secret to getting the model tool to work  is to get the number of pixels per string and the distance between the first and last string correct. You can now let the tool calculate some of the other dimensions for you.

Being RED on the tool is like the tool saying "I don't believe you but i will build the model that way". Your dimensions will always be used, not my suggestions.

If people could give some feedback on my ranges

1) Number of strings you will build a megatree from (1-100)
2) Number of pixels on a string (40-130)
3) Spacing between pixels (2-6" or 5-30cm)

thanks

Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, »
If you save a model now, you will see the targett model file.  Don't let all the data scare you, it is working like it should. eventually i will probably suppress this output.

you can just click an existing model and save it to see this new display.

still planning this weekend for the effects forms.
Sean
Littleton, CO