Author Topic: 2012 holday season shows...  (Read 3343 times)

Offline zwiller

Re: 2012 holday season shows...
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am currently at 8.5%
 I need to build 12 LE's, 2 MR16's, 1 E680, 1 Etherdongle, 1 clock to keep an eye on the time left until Christmas, I need to build 8 rgb strip frames for windows, 4 rgb strips for house, convert roof line to GE CE's, 14 coro "merry christmas" rgb letters for big sign, I need to convert 300 led strings to full wave, 8 incan deer to led's, 1 new 25 ft. mega tree, 1 new 10 ft spiral tree, 6 5ft. 4 color mid trees, 4 20 ft. arches, redo 20 sequences to new layout, and test everything as I get it all done.
piece of cake....

Suddenly, I feel much better  <la..

The thing that concerns me the most this year is converting to rgb and LSP.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, »
Thanks for the reminder!  I don't feel too bad seeing as we assembled 4 wireless modules yesterday.  Granted, I think we'll be having a soldering party to get the LE's done.  I'm nervous about sequencing this year between having more elements and integrating RGB where things were once one color.  Thanks for stressing me out, but on the other hand you're right. There never seems to be enough time!  :'(
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, »
i can't stress how important it is to try to get the sequencing done as early as possible. you can always solder a le at the last second, but it's harder to push though all those songs we want to keep adding
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

sjb

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, »
So this poses my question on the same subject.
With this being my first year, I already know where the lights go on the house, but should I sequence with them and as we go through the year and I build or think of something for the yard do we add it to the sequence later or do we dream of everything we want and sequence with that and then if we do not get it all take it out of sequence?

Steve
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, by sjb »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, »
With the sequencing software you can "draw" your yard/house on the screen and add all of the items you would like to use. So I would put everything you think possibility will be in your show and if you don't use it the only thing you lost was some time and a few screen pixels. It also gives you some goals for the following year(s).

If you add something to the software and you don't use it in your real show it won't hurt a thing since the equipment will just ignore it.

just my opinion

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rimist

Re: Re: 2012 holday season shows...
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, »
Just a reminder, you should be about 10-20% done with your show sequencing or preperation.
You forgot to specify which holiday!
I've already put my Valentine's show up and taken it down, granted it wasn't what I wanted but it was as improvement over last year.
I've built a rainbow with a pot of gold for St Patrick's day, and plan on adding a leprechaun standing next to it soon.
I plan on a flag for memorial day, and will keep the flag and thinking of some kind of rockets / bombs display (in lights, not literally) ie "... rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air ..."

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, »
With the sequencing software you can "draw" your yard/house on the screen and add all of the items you would like to use. So I would put everything you think possibility will be in your show and if you don't use it the only thing you lost was some time and a few screen pixels. It also gives you some goals for the following year(s).

If you add something to the software and you don't use it in your real show it won't hurt a thing since the equipment will just ignore it.

just my opinion

Rick R.
Agree 100% Add all you hope to have, and it's there for future use.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, »
One thing I would like to add to the above is:

If possible don't assign every channel. Leave some blank channels between different items and controllers. This way if a channel goes down during your show you can just resign it to another channel and the show continues.

example: LE Channel 1 dies during the show. You enter your software and resign channel 1 to channel 16, then you plug that string of lights into channel 16 and it works as before.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

sjb

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, »
That's a great tip Rick. So do you leave 1 spare channel on every controller and if so has this saved you more than once?

Steve

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, »
Yes

I lost a channel on a arch last season and just move it over. Also it protects you if you or someone else decides another item is needed in this spot when setting up or adding to the show. Yeah the golden rule is not to make last minute changes but it does happen

Rick R.

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, »
I've started to test some of my Halloween items already :-)

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, by peteandvanessa »

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, »
I've started to test some of my Halloween items already :-)

Nice! cool tune also.