Author Topic: Xenon and Incandescent Strobes  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
Xenon and Incandescent Strobes
« on: February 27, 2012, »
I've seen various web sites categorize strobes as either LED, incandescent, or Xenon. This may sound like a silly question, but are incandescent and Xenon strobes the same thing... just that retailers describe them differently?

You know: sort of like when we talk about light strings, they're either LED or incandescent... but a retailer may do the same thing with strobes... call them either LED or incandescent, even though technically they're Xenon.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mmais68569

Re: Xenon and Incandescent Strobes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, »
There is a difference Xenon are brighter & flash faster. Here is a link to a video comparison:

Here is more information on strobes

Personally I use Xenon in my display.

Mike

sjb

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, »
Is Xeon then classified as an incadescent or is there no such thing as incandescent?

Steve

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, »
A Xenon strobe is not an incandescent buld.  They work more like a flourecent bulb. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, »
Is Xeon then classified as an incadescent or is there no such thing as incandescent?

Steve

Check this out.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, »
From the research I've done, I'm not really interested in LED strobes. I know there is technically a difference between an incandescent bulb and Xenon bulb (one would flash like a a car tail light turn signal, and the other would be like a camera flash).

But nobody's answering my original question: are strobes described as Xenon by some retailers and incandescent by other retailers, in fact, the same thing?... just that a retailer may call a Xenon bulb an incandesent bulb by mistake?

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, »

But nobody's answering my original question: are strobes described as Xenon by some retailers and incandescent by other retailers, in fact, the same thing?... just that a retailer may call a Xenon bulb an incandesent bulb by mistake?

Yes I think some retailers call the xenon strobes incans even though they technically aren't. I agree they are fluorescent in principal. As usual, inquire with such a retailer to make sure you are getting what you expect.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, »
Xenon has a gas which illuminates when electricity is applied

Incandescent has a filament (short piece of metal) that glows when electricity is applied

LED has two pieces of material that basically arc (the electrons glow as they pass from one side to another) when electricity is applied.

as far as what's being described in the product information, that totally depends on the knowledge of the person selling the product. There might actually be an incandescent strobe, or the retailer might mark it incandescent as a way to distinguish it as NOT led. (i know, it's incorrect, but some people do it.)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, »
Thanks for the info, everybody.