Author Topic: Got my 1st Controller!  (Read 12259 times)

Offline Halstaff

Got my 1st Controller!
« on: February 29, 2012, »
My very first Christmas light controller was delivered today!  I'm looking forward to having my first Express completed and running this week.
Thanks RJ and JJ for all the hard work.  The kit looks great!

sjb

Re: Got my 1st Controller!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, »
Good Luck. I know how exciting it is to get your first and complete it. I am waiting for my second and third ones to come in and am more excited to get started with them knowing that I have 1 under my belt.

Steve

Offline KrisFulford

• My website
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, »
Mine was delivered today as well. Now the fun task of putting it together!!  ;D

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, »
Stop wasting time on the forum thanking us all and go have fun building, thats whats important!  <wd..

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, »
Building?!??!?!?!?  Your supposed to build them!!!   <fp.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Halstaff

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, »
I'm making great progress on the assembly but have run into a bit of a snag.  Could someone please check their 16 cable connector strips and see if they fit in the holes in the board?  The pins on mine seem too large to fit into the holes.  I tried a standard 2 pin header I have and it fits fine.  I hate to force them and break something.
Thanks.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm making great progress on the assembly but have run into a bit of a snag.  Could someone please check their 16 cable connector strips and see if they fit in the holes in the board?  The pins on mine seem too large to fit into the holes.  I tried a standard 2 pin header I have and it fits fine.  I hate to force them and break something.
Thanks.
Just checked my 6. The last pcb is real tight. I had to force it in. The first 5, no issues.
you may want to try 2-4 at a time as opposed to putting the entire strip in at once. Maybe dab a little rosin flux on the tips.

Offline AverageJoeTX

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, »
I had to do like Steve said, 3 or so at a time. Just make sure they re-interlock on the top side
Joe Glenn (West Tawakoni, TX)

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, »
Thanks.

Did you attach the connectors together before putting them on the board? They are keyed to fit together.

Rich

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
Got my 1st Controller!
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, »
I got mine today as well.  Thank you very much RJ
Sebastian from California

Offline Halstaff

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, »
I've completed my board with the exception of the row of cable headers.  Short of using a hammer or a pair of pliers or drilling out the holes a bit, I don't see how I'm going to get these to fit.  I've taken them apart and tried them separately without success.  I've already started to bend pins trying to get them to fit. 
I can't believe I got everything else on the board completed and can't figure this out.  I guess I'm not as smart as even I thought I was!
On the bright side, I ran the power check and got my green lights like I was supposed to.  I'm debating now whether to install all the chips and do a full test which should be OK without the cable headers installed.  I just don't want to have to remove the chips in order to solder in the headers once I figure that out.  Any thoughts?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, »
Something is not correct? they are snug which I intended but I have never had anyone have that much problems getting them in.

You can not drill them as it will ruin the pcb. You are locking them together first before putting them in correct.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Halstaff

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, »
RJ, I tried locking them together first and that didn't work.  I then separated them and I can't even get one set to fit.

Offline TheBanker

Got my 1st Controller!
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, »
Pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will

Offline Halstaff

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, »
Check this link for a picture - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login