Author Topic: Got my 1st Controller!  (Read 12254 times)

Offline vstar

Re: Got my 1st Controller!
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2012, »
finished second le looks like same problem with the pic #6 led dim and display very slow   switched it with the other pic everything works fine

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
One of four done! (Whoot) It took me about 7 hours - let me explain. I soldered my first PCB (SparkFun kit) 4 days ago. I set everything for one LE on the dining room table and did a walk through. Watched the videos, printed out the assembly manual, used it as a checklist, fired up the iron, burned my hand 'cuz stupid me forgot that it does get hot, and I should have moved it before I turned it on.
Play w/grandson
Plug/solder/inspect...Plug/solder/inspect......
Play w/grandson
Soldering went great! I only re worked 7 solder joints.
Play w/grandson
Did the power up test and got the two LED's!!!
Play w/grandson........

THIS IS SOOOO COOL!!

And like the post above about the dongel (I did not get one yet), I'll go give it a try soon.

Beanbag,

you got to find a way to ditch the grandson.  Sounds like he is getting in the way of the addiction! (*tongue firmly in cheek*)  Congrats on your first build.  It is a great feeling!

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2012, »
Not sure why the firmware would be an issue it should be the same firmware we have been putting on them. Maybe the file has got corrupt. another reason I plan to stop flashing them in the coops so that the user get a programmer since you should have one if you are building this stuff we do updates all the time.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2012, »
Not sure why the firmware would be an issue it should be the same firmware we have been putting on them. Maybe the file has got corrupt. another reason I plan to stop flashing them in the coops so that the user get a programmer since you should have one if you are building this stuff we do updates all the time.

RJ
It was in my plans to get one anyway. Is there a video that shows how to program a pic on a LE?
I have seen the instructions in the WIKI but my A.D.D. and my D.A.S. prevent me from fully understanding..

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2012, »

It was in my plans to get one anyway. Is there a video that shows how to program a pic on a LE?
I have seen the instructions in the WIKI but my A.D.D. and my D.A.S. prevent me from fully understanding..
[/quote]

My opportunity to use a four letter acronym and I can't do it.   Here it is in the Express Manual.  Adjust to your programmer as necessary. :)

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2012, »
I should be able to figure this out. Even with my Dumb A@# Syndrome.
Thanks Jeff.

Edit for language by RJ
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, by RJ »

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2012, »
Some handy tools that come to mind.

Solder station
Close cut wire cutter
Inexpensive multimeter meter
PicKit
Solder sucker / de-solder braid

Yes.  Even I put an LED in backwards tonight after having built over 50 controllers. :(

Offline Halstaff

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2012, »
I got my Pickit3 today and reflashed my Pic.  It seemed to load properly and the checksum came out right.  However, when I run the test, LED6 is still dim.  Everything else seems to check out fine.  I switched the chip with one that was working and that didn't make any difference.
Any ideas on what I should check?
Thanks for the help.

sjb

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2012, »
When you rec'd your PicKit3 did you upgrade the firmware on it and when you went to flash the PIC did you select the proper PIC as I had issues with these the first time I did mine.

Steve(from Edmonton)

Offline urthegman

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2012, »
I had the same problem and reflashing the pic solved it.

Offline Halstaff

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2012, »
I installed the latest version on the Pickit3,  downloaded the firmware twice, am using the correct device and I've reflashed the chip 3 times with the same results.  The checksum comes out right and all the other led's seem to work fine.
I'm thinking that I have another problem although I just got the Pickit3 and may be doing something wrong.

sjb

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2012, »
When you turn on the LE does it scroll through fairly fast or is it slow in scrolling. Also when you go through the test on the LE does led's for 10, 11 and 12 come on as when I had a bad PIC the LE scrolled fairly slow and the three LED's did not come on during the test. Once I used the  Pickit3 Stand Alone Program and reflashed the PIC they all worked great.

Steve

Offline Halstaff

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2012, »
Steve, that exactly how mine originally acted when I first tested it.  However, after reflashing the pic, the only issue that remains is that led6 is still dim.  All other issues have been resolved.
That's what has me stumped.

sjb

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2012, »
Halstaff are you able to attach some photo's as I know previous issues have been resolved with people seeing some images. I am new to this also, so I am at a loss and would love to see how this is resolved.

Steve

Offline Halstaff

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2012, »
Here are links to photos -