Author Topic: First MR16 completed  (Read 1367 times)

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
First MR16 completed
« on: March 03, 2012, »
Ok, So I got my MR16 in from the First MR16 Coop of 2012, and It appears to work as designed. I hooked it up to a 9V ac adapter and the channels all seem to work. so now I have a couple of Question.

1.) The SSC works off of 12 volts and uses the Network cable to power it. The MR16 can work from 7-24 volts DC. can I use a network cable to power items hooked up to the MR16 as well, If so what would be the maximum voltage one could use with the network cable.

2.) What items are you using with the MR16. Any PIC's would be great and where did you purchase them. I'm trying to figure out what would be cool to add to my display this year. I think the wife would like some animation.

Thanks
Scott
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Mimir

Re: First MR16 completed
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, »
I have not done it yet, but I plan on buying some dumb rgb strings and using the mr16 to drive them.  I want to do this on the eaves of the house.  Each string will use 3 channels of the mr16, one for the red, one for the blue, and one for the green.  I have 2 mr16's, so I can control 10 total strings this way.

John

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Re: First MR16 completed
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, »
1.) The SSC works off of 12 volts and uses the Network cable to power it. The MR16 can work from 7-24 volts DC. can I use a network cable to power items hooked up to the MR16 as well, If so what would be the maximum voltage one could use with the network cable.
Scott: The question isn't voltage as much as it's amperage ... You can push through about 360mA per pair in a Cat5 and there are four pairs in the cable, so you could drive four items that were 360mA each or two items that were 720mA each or one item that was 1.4 amps. A typical individual LED is about 20mA-30mA each. 
2.) What items are you using with the MR16. Any PIC's would be great and where did you purchase them. I'm trying to figure out what would be cool to add to my display this year. I think the wife would like some animation.
As the name implies, the device was originally designed to drive MR-16 lamps (those little spotlights that are used in low-voltage outdoor lighting or as task lighting indoors). Today, people are using them to control a variety of devices, LED spotlights.

You can read about how I handwired more than 1400 LEDs into frames around my windows and porch bannister here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

HTH.

\dmc